Kea's Guitar Build Thread

Thank you sir.

Matching the cavity cover was always something i HAD to do. And it bothers me it doesnt match on this one. Normally i try to match them exactly. But i didnt have a single scrap left over from the same mahogany.

I feel like i am underselling by a ton as well. Even though i have a good internet reputation, it is still hard to sell guitars that are not custom orders. People always seem to love them, but always takes quite a while for them to sell. The KL replicas i used to make sold a lot easier.

Another reason i am going to make a few Horizon style guitars next. People still want basic guitars instead.

Is 66 a lot, comparatively?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, poplar burl. I love that stuff. I've seen a couple of Mayones guitars in the past where they colored the tops and they were looking insane. I tried staining a test piece but didnt like it so I tried shooting tinted nitro and I did end up with a nice blue guitar that everybody loved. I still have a piece of veneer waiting for me to build another one.

Just saying in case you'd want to try something different than all-natural :)

ah, poplar burl. I love that stuff. I've seen a couple of Mayones guitars in the past where they colored the tops and they were looking insane. I tried staining a test piece but didnt like it so I tried shooting tinted nitro and I did end up with a nice blue guitar that everybody loved. I still have a piece of veneer waiting for me to build another one.

Just saying in case you'd want to try something different than all-natural :)

Thanks guys.

This is actually "Mappa" burl. Had never heard of it before.

My plans do involve a colored finish on these. At least hopefully.

Been getting a lot of work done on it.

Neck is fretted, and ready for carve. Will get that done tomorrow. Should be able to rout it all tomorrow too.

Went with the 7 piece, mahogany, walnut, figured maple veneer and paduak for the neck again.

I ordered a few fretboard blanks from LMI. Their fretboards are usually the best.

I picked up a honduran rosewood fretboard, it is one of my favorite fretboard woods. Normally it is a dark, rich color. But for some reason they ended up sending me a REALLY light piece.

BUT!
it seems to work perfectly with these colors.

fretted009_zps301fdbae.jpg
fretted008_zps98d8f238.jpg
fretted007_zps1fdf26ef.jpg
fretted006_zps9df131e0.jpg
fretted005_zps0a7ad63a.jpg

fretted004_zpsd2e70561.jpg

Man, when you look straight at that veneer it looks like you can see 3 inches deep into it. But from the side it's barely there. When you see it from an angle, it looks like someone photoshopped two images together. My mind does not want to accept those two surfaces are part of the same guitar. RAD was right, the body wood is excellent.

This one is going to be special!

SR