Hello all, first build here

thanks, the body shape started out as a mocking bird, I always liked how it was comfortable to play sitting down the rest took me about 3 hours to come up with. Winter just showed up so it is slowing the finishing, and now I must find out how to wire it all together, never have done any wiring.

@kavar57, Seymour Duncan has some pretty good blog posts on wiring, starting with the basics of how it works, up through interesting wiring concepts:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/?post_type=post&s=GUITAR+WIRING

Scroll down to the bottom for the earliest blogs on simple wiring schemes. Other than that, it looks like you are doing a "Les Paul" type wiring. Google image search returns a lot of different options for wiring that kind of set-up.

Welcome onboard! Zebrano sucks up oil happily because it has a large open pore structure. Rosewood doesn't need a finish and works great without one. I'd just wipe off that oil and just keep it buffed with a clean cloth.

Great seeing you get to the finishing line! That's always a great thing.

yes there is something about putting on finish that makes your smile :). and I want to do 2 volumes and I have 2 preamps, also was thinking about doing a 9v/18v switch, here they are and what I found. one is just like a super tone control, the distortion one is there for fun and it has a booster too (I also play rocksmith and with good pickups the distortion never sounds just right so I thought something to give it a little help would be nice) they both have the 4 hook ups out, ground, in , and battery.

wduss2101.jpg

m4NeiWlqoIoWfwKwatPSing.jpg

qdd_all.gif

EMG18VoltMod1.jpg

19 hours ago, kavar57 said:

edit: I don't like how 3+ way switches look on a guitar, so would like to not use one.

If you want to keep the look of the classic three-way selector switch, but have more options, there are such switches:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

Edited by sirspens

1 hour ago, sirspens said:

If you want to keep the look of the classic three-way selector switch, but have more options, there are such switches

thanks, but that was my bad for being a little unclear, I would like no switch at all, can I do that with active pickups by using a j bass wiring? and how would I need to set it up?  the 2 volumes - to the tone preamp - to the distortion - to the jack?

2 minutes ago, kavar57 said:

thanks, but that was my bad for being a little unclear, I would like no switch at all, can I do that with active pickups by using a j bass wiring? and how would I need to set it up?  the 2 volumes - to the tone preamp - to the distortion - to the jack?

I'm no expert on this, and I know nothing about active pickups, but... You can control the pickups with push-pull knobs, but if you have a situation where both pickups are turned off, I'm not sure what that would do. You might get a pop as they go off, etc.

I'm not sure if it is strictly true that you *have* to use lower value pots for active. I know it defeats the purpose of a low impedance output in many respects and you certainly can't load a passive circuit with those low values. Not trying to muddy the waters here though.

I don't think that a 9v/18v switch would achieve anything useful in principle. All the higher operating voltage does is to increase the signal headroom within the circuit, and even with a 9v supply you'll have trouble clanging against the rails. By all means go for an 18v supply if that will work, but switching between the two will have negligible effect, if any at all.