First time electric build

Well, I'm a long term lurker I guess so thought it may be about time to share what I've been up to. Having spent a month on a course building an acoustic guitar (and then finding out I suck at playing acoustic), I thought I'd see if I could build an electric. Its a really nice change of pace from building amplifiers, but I've found it a very steep learning curve. I've approached this in totally the wrong way as I've pretty much changed everything along the way.

Black Limba body, Zebrano drop top and an Ovangkol neck. This is what I was shooting for, but some pretty horrific tearout has led it to be a bit more pointy that originally intended. I was kind of unprepared by how many cracks were in the billets I had.

WP_20160205_15_56_46_Pro_zpsuzaud4tt.jpg

Ebony bindings gingerly bent with an iron. not quite ready for bending rosewood sides on my own yet.

WP_20160229_12_49_32_Pro_zpspmx39c7e.jpg

This is where I'm at now starting to look a bit like a guitarWP_20160328_17_05_01_Pro_zpsftg73qpx.jpg

Badly made string lock

WP_20160330_07_23_48_Pro_zpsg2dzqg1i.jpg

Not really happy about the lower horn at all, but pleased that the binding went on gapless. The biggest boob on this which got be really kicking myself was not cutting the fret slots deep enough before binding.

I'm hooked and am already planning the next build - though I'm trying to tell myself strings on this one before starting the next.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by 103801061982
  • Like 1

I also think that it looks great!! 

Building amps huh? Post some up sometime, I'd definitely like to see some of them. 

Ive buit quite a few speaker cabinets and just picked up enough birch ply to make four more 2x12's, I've always wanted to get into amps but I have no idea how electrical works lol. 

Cheers gents.

Ive spent this morning drilling for the string locks. Really regretting not sorting this out before gluing in the neck. Lesson learned.

I've only a few potato quality pics of the amps. Here are a couple of mine

a heavily modded xtc blue and red channel that got cobbled into a slo style chassis. Nice sounding amp if you stay away from the extremes. plenty of chewiness.

Schwalbe%20II%20-%20012_zpsmav2wy6p.jpgSchwalbe%20II%20-%20014_zpscrlcn9n4.jpg

This is a dumble 183 type circuit and my first build. nice cleans with some really sweet harmonic sustain but the drive isn't really my thing. cant really describe it very well and I know its not the amps fault. The amp in the second pic is an SLO clone that I built from a kit. That ones currently in bits. didn't get on with it - too fizzy IMHO, but as far as construction goes, I'm sold on straight heaters and bus wiring.

Dumble%20183%20-%20189_zpsqkxtvkdy.jpgDumble%20183%20-%20155_zpspznb40rp.jpg

I'm far too easily distracted my new projects. Only one of these is currently in a headcase.

I like your guitar a lot! I'm not really a binding fan, but it works beautifully in this build; really ties the woods together. Were it me, I would enlarge the scoops you've carved in both cut-aways to the point that the body wood is revealed from the front view. This will: 1) make it more comfortable, 2) balance visually the body wood reveal you have below the bridge (which I really like), and 3) make it more obvious why the binding does not continue through the cuts to the neck. You might even like the treble horn better.....though it looks fine to me.

Very nice first build!

SR

Great to see a fellow amp nut here. I got into this guitar-building malarkey via DIYing tube amps too. Like you I also tried the SLO100 lead and Ecstacy Blue channels, but my experiences were the opposite - I didn't mind the SLO100 preamp if I jacked up the plate voltages, but the Ecstacy I was always a bit 'meh' about. You've got some tidy looking work  going on there.

The SLO was a shame because I really wanted to like that amp. Maybe I should reassemble and fiddle about with it.

One of the things that unnerved me a bit about the xtc is the high power amp voltages I ended up with. Its stable enough and I've been running and pushing the same tubes for ages in it and it hasn't complained once. This is the amp that talked me out of messing around with diode clipping.

Hello gents

Scott, I took a file to the lower cutaway and pared it back a bit and you're right, it does look a bit more balanced. As for comfort though I try to steer clear of the meedly meedly notes at the dusty end. I'm shocked by how comfortable multiscale is.

Its now strung up and actually playing nicely. Since this pic, I've taken the bridge saddles back to the brass to match the string lock. Think I'm calling it a day on this one bar a couple of bits of touch up and some oil for the board.

82411771-6d3e-4809-9d57-4064f6e0a825_zps

Already thinking about the next one. I'll try to do a proper build diary next time.

That's a really neatly-packaged instrument. I often look at them in "how I would use them" and that seems like a "player". Sounds weird to say that, but some just seem too fiddly to me and a distraction than an instrument. I think I'd miss the tone control for the neck though, but that's just me.

Good work with the binding too. That's often a stage that a lot of people mess up or have disappointments with.