JimF's First Build!

Hey, bud! I've had three tops now and they always show up well packaged. No issues at all as they always live up to the pictures. Am definitely going back for more as I try and build a portfolio of work. Can't afford premium prices yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been aĀ frustrating week.Ā My progress has been as follows:

Thickness guitar body -> confirm body is perfectly flat, smooth & level -> look away for 5 seconds -> body has warped.

Now I'm not sure if its the currentĀ heatwave/humidity here in the UK, the wood itself, or some other hiddenĀ reason.

I'm pretty sure I'll be scrapping this body. It's already almost down to 30mm and that's much thinner than I wanted. Life's too short to mess around so I guess this will be going toĀ the wood carving pile.

Ā 

So I'm on the lookout for a pre-thicknessed body blank!

I would put money on it being the weather. Even the best pre-thicknessed blank will start playing games on you if the local environment it is being stored/worked in isn't good. It's 29,1Ā°C and 60% humidity indoors right now here in Finland. That puts the EMC at a hair over 10%. Way too much. If I had air conditioningĀ I'd try and keep moisture down nearer 40-45% in this heat. Perversely it's not hot enough for this kind of humidity!

Nice quick cheat chart here:Ā https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_moisture_content

• 4 weeks later...
Recently routed the neck shape, truss rod channel, and rough cut the headstock. Pleased with the results and pleased with how my budget router is performing.
Ā 
IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg
IMG_4272.jpg
IMG_4273.jpg
Ā 
A little off centre, but who's checking!
Ā 
Ā 
Ended up buying another body blank, glued and planed to thickness, so all that needs to be done is routing. Went for black walnut and bought blind, was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.
Ā 
IMG_4274.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg
IMG_4276.jpg
Ā 
I think I'll end up using the side with the lighter flash, and use that at the bottom/bridge end of the guitar. The other side is relatively interesting, but the colouring between the two pieces is too different, and also the interesting swirls will end up being lost when the shape is cutout. Very pleased with this body blank, and I am planning to do an oil finish, no stain or anything.
Ā 
With this whole build, I've tried to remain philosophical about the whole thing: yes I've chosen some tricky woods for a first build BUT I have woodworking experience, as does my father, and he is a skilled engineering consultant. The philosophical approach helped me when the first body blank went wrong, as I just kept in mind that my goal was to make a guitar, NOT to make a guitar with those particular pieces of wood; and anything wrong that happens is part of the learning curve, and part of my journey towards reaching the goal of finishing the project. If at one point we have some disasterous event, then that was always going to happen, and its a learning opportunity.
Ā 
Which brings me neatly onto my next set of photos, entitled "Tearout Tuesday":
Ā 

Ā 

IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg
Ā 
It can be safely said that I don't like Padauk as a wood to work with. It seems to be unpredictable whereas my experience with the Wenge is that it is hard hard hard hard, it seems consistent. This Padauk will cut beautifully, and then have massive tearout.
I'm not making a full tribute Blackmachine replica guitar so modifying the headstock shape slightly was always on the cards as the piece I scarfed onto the neck wasn't long enough. This just means it will take longer.Ā 
I'm not discouraged, just a little frustrated. Most likely its occurred with interlocking grain and on radiuses where I perhaps should have gone in the opposite direction. Like I said, its all a learning experienced.

That tearout happened because of unsupported/short grain. I take it that you were routing from the neck towards the outer corner of the headstock at that point? Whilst some woods are more prone to it than others, it's generally more a function of how the grain you're presenting to the router cutter wants to play. If the force required to split open the wood along the grain is smaller than the force required to cleanly allow the cutter to make it's cut through the wood (one of dozens per second), then you'll get tearout. The way to reduce this is to know why it does it and re-balance the numbers in your favour. It looks like you were taking a full-depth cut, which is certainly not making it any easier.....often though, the length of your cutter can force your arm as to the minimum depth of cut that you can make. Personally, I dislike the common inch cutter length bits as these are a usual suspect for making life harder than it needs to be.

• Like 1

More progress. As I'm extremely pleased with the walnut blank I have, and don't want to have to do any more thicknessing, problem solving etc, I've decided to do a practice body to make sure I'm fully comfortable with routing this before I attack the walnut.Ā 

Pretty pleased with the results on the warped tulip poplar blank!

IMG_4643.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg
IMG_4646.jpg
IMG_4647.jpg
IMG_4648.jpg

Ā 

A few cheeky mock ups with the neck blank to remind me what it is I'm making

IMG_4652.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg

Ā 

I just need to decide which side of the blank to have as the face.

A

IMG_4654.jpg

Ā 

B
IMG_4655.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I was leaning towards B, but now i'm thinking that A, whilst not having the lighterĀ flash, will actually take on more character when oiled (from experience). I may even invert A so I get that lovely flamey section in the control area, but that knot may make routing the lower horn tricky...

Just to clarify, the poplar blank above will be going in the bin, its only approx 30mm thick, and not got a great surface finish. I'll just use it for routing practice (cavities etc), the walnut is a full body blank and will be cut & routed shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures are self explanatory really:Ā I tackled the neck, added the truss rod, fretboard and glued all together, flush trimmed it to suit the neck, then made a start on the body.Ā Rough cut to shape (in the end I decided to go for Side B, but inverted), did a few passes with the router then stopped for the night. The next day my Dad was round, and he is Mr Precision (time served engineer) so got him to assist with the inlays, hence why the body is stopped mid progress! The fretboard inlays have a dab of superglue, and the side markersĀ are held in byĀ optimism and wishful thinking.Ā 

Pics!

IMG_4700.jpg
IMG_4701.jpg
IMG_4702.jpg
IMG_4703.jpg
IMG_4704.jpg
IMG_4705.jpg
IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg
IMG_4785.jpg
IMG_4786.jpg
IMG_4787.jpg
IMG_4788.jpg
IMG_4789.jpg
IMG_4966.jpg
IMG_4967.jpg
IMG_4968.jpg
IMG_4969.jpg
IMG_4970.jpg
IMG_4971.jpg
IMG_4972.jpg
IMG_4973.jpg
IMG_4974.jpg
IMG_4976.jpg
IMG_4977.jpg
IMG_4979.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As per the title, slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I've made a point with this project that whenever I start getting impatient or slightly frustrated, or tired, I stop. This is when I make mistakes (learned this the hard way from knifemaking). As a result of this its meant that I've been literally weeks without doing anything. A new job in October hasn't helped either.

BUT its starting to look even more like a guitar, and I'm over the moon. I was never sure about the padauk in the neck since switching to a walnut body but now its oxidised more to a rich brownĀ rather than a disco orange I'm falling in love with it. Very pleased with myself haha!

Now for pics!

IMG-6411.jpg
IMG-6412.jpg
IMG-6413.jpg
IMG-6414.jpg
IMG-6415.jpg
IMG-6416.jpg
IMG-6417.jpg

Edited by JimF