Hall Of Shame

syxxstring

Would it be worth it/work?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading LGM's rant post and Soctts experience swirling, I think it would be good to add a Hall of Shame.

The purpose would be to show projects gone wrong.

Why? To provide fodder for taunting?(no)

So we can discuss what went wrong and see other peoples problems before getting to deep in our own. Also with LGM saying he's getting emails to fix peoples mistakes this would provide some warning for thoose smart enough to learn from others mistakes. I also think this could add valuble footnotes to the tutorials. My $.02

Learning my mistakes is a good way to go....but there would have to be strict rules about p*ss taking or slamming people, otherwise it'd never work

I agree, wes should get to attack anyone trash talking there with a pointy guitar. Which I believe would fall into our general rules anyways. They'd just have to be more in play there.

I think thats quite a good idea.

I think taking the p*** should be allowed a little bit though, generally it's done in a nice way on this forum and some mistakes deserve the p*** to be taken out of them (you should see my headstock :D ). I'm sure if we all keep a sense of humour about it there won't be a problem.

I don't really think there would be too much slamming going on, most people here are quite polite and too grown up for that. If it does get too much then I'm sure one of the mods will have a word.

How much room you got on that server? B)

I could fill that puppy up I betcha, 'cept I rarely took pics of things that went 'boom'...

Lol...I can see it now...'Go&^Da*%that^&M&$th&^erF*#@$%in' Piece O' TRASH!!!!! ARRRRGH!!!!...RAAAAAGH!!!! B):D:D

:D ...oh, wait a minute now, let me go get the camera for the guys! :D

Howdy,

For what it's worth, I think that a Hall of Shame would be a good idea. And I would like to nominate my BeatCaster to be the first entry into the Hall.

You can see it Here. Then slide down and click on Beater.

Guitar Ed

The few, the proud, the mechanically dis-inclined.

Hey big respect to you guitar_ed for completing the beatcaster. If a project of mine was so messed up like the neck pocket or the back cavity of the beatcaster I would throw it in the trash and would not have the motivation to complete it.

But it is very good to complete it anyway in order to get better. So congrats for your motivation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guitar Ed

The few, the proud, the mechanically dis-inclined.

I hate to tell you, Ed, but I've owned production guitars that weren't much better than your Beater - and they weren't nearly as clever about covering it up. Heck, almost all of your mistakes would be hidden under a coat of paint and a pickguard. I wish I had pics of the f-hole crack I tried to repair on my old Silvertone archtop. Now that was Hall Of Shame worthy! :D

if handled in the correct way, i feel it could be a good learning experience. i accidently clicked the why bother, hehe, i swear my hand eye co-ordination is gettin better, lol!!

hall of shame eh? since ive not properly started building, i.e. dad showin me the ropes with the tools etc... so i do some stuff - building type, and design it all, and all electronics im capable of handling, but over the kit guitar we made, and this guitar which is very near completion, there hasnt been many mistakes at all, thank God!!

the kit i had no mistakes. the new one im makin has no probs basically. little tearout on the fretboard edge when planing, but its gonna be scalloped and not seen.

cya guys

Well while I'm here I'll say that if you're hollowing out a strat, take note of the body contor in the back, because if you're tidying up the edges of the route with a chisel, you might put it straight through the bottom of the guitar.

I wonder who would do something that stupid :D

I can't see any finished guitars in this so called hall of shame. It doesn't make sense, unless you have the "thats good enuf" attitude towards your projects. Maybe call it "Hall of Experiments Gone Awry But Will Be Sorted Out Posthaste" instead. Definitely a good learning experience for some folks when dealing with the obvious. But many mistakes are a result of lack of experience and technique in handling tools, materials, finishes, etc. etc. Personally, I find I learn more from my own mistakes rather than those of others for that very reason.

I believe that ANY mistake can be fixed well enough to get you back on track without having to abandon the project or saying "that will have to do". I'll be the first to admit that I've made some real boners in my day. My first attempt at routing a truss rod slot comes to mind. I had my router set on the slower speed and had difficulty controlling it. The end result was a little crooked but still serviceable, at least the anchor points for the blocks were the right width.

How about some tips on how you've rebounded from your mistakes? Now THAT would make some interesting reading. On my last guitar the hole I routed for my strat style plugin was too wide. Mount the plate and you could see about 1/16" gap on either side. I opted to make a 1/4" thick plastic retaining ring for the plate. Mounted that on the body and then mounted the plate on top of that. It worked out very well.

How 'bout it? Any tips and tricks on how you managed to turn those lemons into delicious, sweet lemonade?

How 'bout it? Any tips and tricks on how you managed to turn those lemons into delicious, sweet lemonade?

I cut out all the wood that I considered to be too thin and sat there carving a bit of scrap wood to fill the hole. I made sure that the surfae of the guitar that would need to be glued to the plug was flat and dust free and glued my plug to it. I do have to say that I was most impressed with the job that I did making the plug, it was very nearly the exact same shape as the hole. :D

Glued the plug to the guitar and sanded it flush the body. Looking back on it I should have glued a small piece of vaneer inside of the body for the plug to sit against when I was clamping it. I only say this because I dropped part of the clamp on the plug and snapped it in half lengthways B) (I really wasn't having a good day). Anyway, just glued this part of the plug back on when the first bit (attached to the guitar) had set.

It's all been sanded flush now and looks good just needs a bit of filler and then some painting and noone will know (well except anyone who reads this).

• 3 weeks later...

I think that there'd be enough responses for ideas on how to fix someones 'shame guitar' to make it worthwhile. I also think that it would give other noobies more confidence when making their first project. My problems when learning something new is that I lack so much confidence that it actually hinders my progress and causes me to make mistakes when venturing into 'the unknown'. Knowing that others have had problems and ways to solve them would be a great resource. It might actually get me to route that neck pocket intsead of looking at it 3 times a day sayin to myself 'all that hard work up to this point can go right out the window if my router kicks back' :D I'll do it tomorrow :D But knowing that it has happened to others and can be fixed without ruining it would be a BIG relief. B)

I like the idea. It's something I've been considering asking about but I wondered how many would be willing to show their mistakes.

I don't think we would need to require full/completed guitars though, right? Just pics of something that you were trying to do and what went wrong. Maybe it could evolve into something like "common mistakes" or something in the future.

I know I have plenty I could offer for this. I've got a bin full of mistakes (kinda like the island of misfit toys). I'm sure they would love their 5 min of fame instead of rotting in their bin of shame.

Let me know if I can help.