Jump to content

build #11 - Snuffy's Billy Bongo bass


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Very cool little detail. It makes all the difference though! Where'd you buy your iron from? I might have to get one myself, because reasons.

It's the more expensive of the Chinese benders, I think it was about £85 including postage, though I did have to put a UK plug on it.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5575536527&toolid=10001&campid=5338593098&customid=&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FNew-Guitar-Violin-Rib-Bending-Iron-Bend-Side-wood-Iron-Guitar-Making-Tools-220V%2F202803912609%3F_trkparms%3Dispr%3D1%26hash%3Ditem2f380e1fa1%3Ag%3Am-oAAOSwffRdrEeB%26enc%3DAQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrmmq8hWevtuKE7%2F%2BLfVXtmuOUlbwik11wgRsn%2FoJW4LzVhzEyaAxcjnrr49PZQ599pwv4EpFwbWi8oaGh4EInq7xj74OG%2FyRIuWtFlzF3sr9LiGTaWfrN%2BGEaYDyslWzELQPb61%2BhXM%2FcY4RzM1DFzMYn9WRZS2Fie7kDAjjlVOybDXIkObjcfnEBLLK2mwRtRO1DTdV7iNmP1i4etLPgo2uDSr9gZG%2ByafQBQDyxifZj0eiHC7cgR6%2BJxT82Z0vRgbupW3iuay3H2oGTe5DYZAAJVOi9b4d7%2FHXOVvVvpiqo803QGRoGLaK9D0u2zhRnhtcekjWzd5gm6PpCnwNAzXvkR60OE4jTTZ5pjdNd2ZhPM0mK4j%2BIhcft99IYfKjpO%2Bh0pKHJb54kY0yPgMsML%2BKbLZPbg2K1NkyEMvmOTpl6naO%2BL2URGsbXJYDKrnX3QvWvYdtV09ZUwkDSXuF%2Fcm22SC%2B17JZU1gGt6d%2BoIWW9btAZ8pSIEZThc6XciF%2BK3vuf9R77CUgiPBjlwfbbHAAgZ7tWd1F%2FfNUYUhsq9EyyxCubX7on0QORoTk2g2N6sLfm7Gz%2FiTbCaMgFlW3T1U76UmHFTf2eVZk2ob3ugHWRLsspdiKecwLfxumheRsKp7IrAEsubCRwkqezbH2VcjBSrF4ec6C3FKmTy0olwk8Pvv%2BboXF0tuR6CT%2FjZMwLjlEFG85n0tIjqu5tfVwFwcUVXW46QF3RqjalBTxPgwVOmnVL0z0RHLUovUWis7h%26checksum%3D202803912609e82e9fe7f311424ab97b0101de9599e2

 

33 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I misread that at first and though you were going to have a go at bending a piece of ziricote. :blink: Nothing like set up a challenge for the first project. Although ebony does get used for binding from time to time, so maybe it can be done.

I must say your each of your builds go up a level in quality over the last. And they started out pretty dang high.

Carry on.

SR

ha no, I made a spare strip of quilt maple binding in case the neck binding job went south so I used some of that. Though bending ziricote must be possible, I've seen a few acoustics with ziricote backs and sides (my acoustic goals).

Thank you for the kind words, I definitely feel that spraying lacquer has stepped them up a notch, though I'm still a long way away from perfection, I never seem to get grain filling quite right, and after 10 builds I'm still utterly shit at wiring. I think I still have a lot more mistakes to make :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished the purple one. Few things I could have done better I think, there is a slight seam visible on the headstock, I rolled over the edge of the headstock under the nut so it looks like there is a gap under the nut, both of those things annoyed me greatly. I think I washed out the colour a bit too much, especially, need to remember that the stained top prior to finish is not what final product will look like. But this is the 3rd single cut I've done and by far my best yet, plays bloody well too. I'll be delivering it at the weekend :)

ACtC-3dLLNsDXzKQf4-uPrLvM5KBHNXSyu3Aetbd

ACtC-3ePLb7hIrXWexCw8bBISo6EDz4mFP3PHhza

ACtC-3dZGuFgd3AVJv3BhmOYTnIiUAgkbJn2jt9z

ACtC-3emvWbZJWlJKpLnjn0mLLkyqyAW_mQ4psrc

ACtC-3chqUC4RJeQzs-bzTD81HVG5sjC7MKsAmQV

ACtC-3f5EuPy2t-L7NGtpjVn1wGNZdIcQRSIxtx8

ACtC-3fs7zK7tcTKe5POt1ziZjCu7Gt3O6rmB8gr

ACtC-3d9kgQkjNEDtBvNOdQk3hffi2CX_uW0Rhgu

ACtC-3dCF68sjsHsLw7fkY6804n9nbyNMWqsP4-L

ACtC-3dNk1w4IEizoIhqdOfbr-UFSIxicdUVEZL8

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I think I washed out the colour a bit too much

Opinions may vary, to me it looks like crushed velvet - to be more exact as many purple tops look like crushed velvet this doesn't look like a majestic gown tossed in a candlelit corner, this one has a feeling of bright sunlight. Think about an old outdoors photo taken with a poor camera, the bright lit areas having burned and the colours faded to a more reddish hue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an extremely respectable build on many levels, @ADFinlayson. I completely respect that you see yourself on a path towards better all the time, even if these points are just small details that few would truly notice. I forget from whom I am quoting here (and even if I am quoting accurately) however "when one stops learning, one ceases to be good". A lot of builders would consider themselves plateaued after this build, you clearly know there's more ground yet to break. Always a pleasure.

In other news, I'm considering one of those benders you linked to. I've seen them before around on the 'bay, however I've heard various anecdotal tales about them being underpowered or unreliable. Difficult to discern whether this is the case given that some of these anecdotes come from from with a high degree of "Quercus suber product aroma judgement enthusiasts" and the usual well Internet because reasons. I think it's about right to say that non-import (is there such a thing?) benders are about three times the cost, and I believe that you should always pay once and regret never. Difficult to justify when all solutions look like nails right now.

Looking forward to seeing how she GOTM's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is an extremely respectable build on many levels, @ADFinlayson. I completely respect that you see yourself on a path towards better all the time, even if these points are just small details that few would truly notice. I forget from whom I am quoting here (and even if I am quoting accurately) however "when one stops learning, one ceases to be good". A lot of builders would consider themselves plateaued after this build, you clearly know there's more ground yet to break. Always a pleasure.

In other news, I'm considering one of those benders you linked to. I've seen them before around on the 'bay, however I've heard various anecdotal tales about them being underpowered or unreliable. Difficult to discern whether this is the case given that some of these anecdotes come from from with a high degree of "Quercus suber product aroma judgement enthusiasts" and the usual well Internet because reasons. I think it's about right to say that non-import (is there such a thing?) benders are about three times the cost, and I believe that you should always pay once and regret never. Difficult to justify when all solutions look like nails right now.

Looking forward to seeing how she GOTM's.

thanks dude, all benders are imports to me as no one in the uk seems to makes them, the all require changing the plug over etc. I had also heard the odd tale about the element failing - I guess that is the same as not getting hot enough or not heating up at all. I've had this one upto 250ºC (according to the digital meter, but it got so hot that water didn't fizzle off the top it just immediately beaded off which means really hot) and it's worked great so far but I guess the proof will be when I come to bend the sides on my acoustic build. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came across one about a year ago from a company in the UK that made/makes them. I was considering it, however I recall them being something along the lines of £300? Let me have another look.

£221 - https://luthiers-bench.com/products/bending-iron?variant=39642213447

I'd be tempted to go this direction since I would end up paying import duty on a Chinesium model from the big rock candy mountain.

The Ibex model is anything from around €210 at Madinter to £280 at ToneTech. We all know that the former of those is expensive for anything anyway. In my case, I think I'd rather go with the solid cast phosphor bronze unit. Buy best, buy once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I came across one about a year ago from a company in the UK that made/makes them. I was considering it, however I recall them being something along the lines of £300? Let me have another look.

£221 - https://luthiers-bench.com/products/bending-iron?variant=39642213447

I'd be tempted to go this direction since I would end up paying import duty on a Chinesium model from the big rock candy mountain.

The Ibex model is anything from around €210 at Madinter to £280 at ToneTech. We all know that the former of those is expensive for anything anyway. In my case, I think I'd rather go with the solid cast phosphor bronze unit. Buy best, buy once.

I hadn't heard of Luthiers Bench, if this iron turns out to be useless then I'll consider that. The aluminum one is quite a bit cheaper than the bronze, however they take the piss on shipping.  Tonetech is very expensive IMO, I've stopped buying from them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phosphor bronze is an interesting choice of material. I read an article a few months back on the differences between aluminium and copper heatsinks on a quantum scale, specific heat, etc. when retaining or giving up energy. I came away from this understanding less than I went in with. 😐

My understanding has been that aluminium gives heat energy up quicker to air than copper, however copper takes on and holds heat better. This isn't true from what I am aware, and some degree of bias exists because of the use of aluminium in car radiators, etc. which is purely because of material cost, corrosion performance, weight, etc.

Aluminium is softer than bronze. I'll take it on that basis, especially given that polishing up one's iron is better than dull aluminimum any day! 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...