Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 8/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, Bizman62 said:

Even planed down in its full size the veneer looks like it has grown there, despite the grain being at an angle! And the result is so nice that I bet you don't regret the extra time and effort.

 

On 8/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, curtisa said:

Looks pretty tidy :thumb: Once you get a scratchplate on it it will disappear even further.

 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, ADFinlayson said:

Good save, I couldn't see what you'd done at all until I scrolled up and saw the progress. Looking forward to seeing it progress. 

 

23 hours ago, ScottR said:

Perfect!

SR

Thanks everyone.  I'm happy that I went ahead and did it.

Also I thought you all may be interested in another project I've just started alongside the two guitars (which I might add I'm already struggling to find time to work on haha).

Te8YoOH.jpg

Edited by Woltz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

the strat looks great... the les paul even greaterer ;)  look fwd to seeing more of that.  violin is not my thing, but it will be fun to see a bit of that as well.  probably all sorts of good lessons for all there.  keep on keepin' on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottR said:

Lot's of new skills involved, this should be fun!

SR

I am going to have to branch out and build something like that at some point... I imagine it would make me a more well rounded builder.  perhaps a banjo guitar someday!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

I decided to go and get another piece of Sheoak which I cut a length off for the fretboard for this guitar.  I cut the fret slots, glued the fretboard on the neck, trimmed it and then sanded the transition.  I did have a set of fret dots here but I couldn't bring myself to disrupt the medullary rays in the fretboard, so I went with side dots only on this build.

Honestly there are a few blemishes which I'm disappointed about but as this is only my second guitar build I have to accept that it's a learning process and I will get better with future builds.

4v5YspK.jpg

625FsTp.jpg

 

Here it is mocked up with the body and some of the hardware.

wt6RDko.jpg

I also noticed in this photo that there is an interesting optical illusion at the end of the guitar around the arm contour because I haven't rounded over the area yet.  And the medullary rays make it look like the fret slots are fanning but I actually double checked it after I saw the photo and they definitely are straight.

Next up is carving the neck which is the bit I enjoyed most on my first build.

Edited by curtisa
Admin edit: fixed image links
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Woltz said:

I decided to go and get another piece of Sheoak which I cut a length off for the fretboard for this guitar.  I cut the fret slots, glued the fretboard on the neck, trimmed it and then sanded the transition.  I did have a set of fret dots here but I couldn't bring myself to disrupt the medullary rays in the fretboard, so I went with side dots only on this build.

Honestly there are a few blemishes which I'm disappointed about but as this is only my second guitar build I have to accept that it's a learning process and I will get better with future builds.

 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4v5YspK.jpg[/img]

 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/625FsTp.jpg[/img]

 

Here it is mocked up with the body and some of the hardware.

 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wt6RDko.jpg[/img]

 

I also noticed in this photo that there is an interesting optical illusion at the end of the guitar around the arm contour because I haven't rounded over the area yet.  And the medullary rays make it look like the fret slots are fanning but I actually double checked it after I saw the photo and they definitely are straight.

Next up is carving the neck which is the bit I enjoyed most on my first build.

i am not seeing your images... so I'd like my money back please!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So I got a bit more done.

Neck carved.

2Slvvzu.jpg

Drilled the holes to attach the neck.

USokrgW.jpg

Drilled the string-through holes and holes for the bridge mounting screws. Unfortunately the alignment of the string-through holes on this one wasn't great but I'm not going to bother plugging and redrilling. I also did the belly carve and started tidying up both the belly carve and the arm carve.

bZDMaIb.jpg

t2KlCgV.jpg

I just need to tidy up a small flat spot on the fretboard, file a couple of high spots on the back of the neck and then fret the neck and I'll be on the sanding and finishing.

 

Edited by Woltz
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 2:33 AM, David Ivy said:

NICE! Are you a guitar builder by trade or just a hobbyist? Cause that is Awesome work!!!

Thanks mate.  I'm just a hobbyist.  This is my second build, there are a number of little things which I wish were better but I learn something with each build I do.  

The 12 string build is my third but that's stalled a bit because I've also started making a Violin as well.

I've also just received the plans I ordered to make a Maloof Style Rocking Chair so instruments may take a back seat early next year when that becomes the priority.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woltz said:

Thanks mate.  I'm just a hobbyist.  This is my second build, there are a number of little things which I wish were better but I learn something with each build I do.  

The 12 string build is my third but that's stalled a bit because I've also started making a Violin as well.

I've also just received the plans I ordered to make a Maloof Style Rocking Chair so instruments may take a back seat early next year when that becomes the priority.

please do share your experiences on the rocking chare in the 'non guitar build' section as I've been thinking about a rocking chair myself.  terribly interested in the topic.

guitar is looking great - if I may.... please please please do some kind of matching headstock overlay.  that body pairs so well with the headstock... overall guitar has such a soft appeal... headstock veneer with the sm tone would really take it to the next level imo. 

also hardtail eh?  "I like the cut of your jib"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, mistermikev said:

please do share your experiences on the rocking chare in the 'non guitar build' section as I've been thinking about a rocking chair myself.  terribly interested in the topic.

guitar is looking great - if I may.... please please please do some kind of matching headstock overlay.  that body pairs so well with the headstock... overall guitar has such a soft appeal... headstock veneer with the sm tone would really take it to the next level imo. 

also hardtail eh?  "I like the cut of your jib"

Will definitely share my rocking chair build if people are interested.  The plans I'm using are these ones - https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/tools/plans/73902-nancys-rocker-and-footstool-plan?item=01L5131 as they are the easiest to get in Australia.

I hadn't considered a veneer on the headstock but I did keep the offcuts from the body so I could thin the headstock a bit more and then put one on.  I might cut a veneer and then mock it up to see what it would look like.

Yeh I'm not a particularly good guitar player haha so I wouldn't use a tremolo.  So given that, it didn't seem any point in making the build more difficult.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woltz said:

Will definitely share my rocking chair build if people are interested.  The plans I'm using are these ones - https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/tools/plans/73902-nancys-rocker-and-footstool-plan?item=01L5131 as they are the easiest to get in Australia.

I hadn't considered a veneer on the headstock but I did keep the offcuts from the body so I could thin the headstock a bit more and then put one on.  I might cut a veneer and then mock it up to see what it would look like.

Yeh I'm not a particularly good guitar player haha so I wouldn't use a tremolo.  So given that, it didn't seem any point in making the build more difficult.

noice... I'm told the maloof is a really difficult build.  should be a lot things to learn on that one.  vcool.

 

afa veneer... just a thought.

 

nothing wrong with hardtail.  rock solid!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So I had an Ah F#$k moment on the weekend. Yet again my nemesis (guitar finishing) got me. I sprayed the guitar and neck with the new spray gun (which I have to say sprayed so much nicer than the cheap one I had previously). After spraying though I was left with a blotchy finish on the edges of the guitar and whilst the neck wasn't blotchy, the colour didn't change at all and it doesn't look like I was expecting. After reading a bit more online most people seem to recommend clear coating first and then aquacoat, then sanding and then spraying final clear. Now I'll have to sand the body and see what I can do to salvage it. With the neck I'll have a closer look at it before making any decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

well the guitar looks great in the pics above.  really liking that fretboard... adding to my list.  afa ahh f#!@ moments... had lots of them this weekend.  just keep rolling towards a solution!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a pain barrier to get through with finishing.  But you are right to try different things - and this will involve many f*** moments followed by strip down and start again.  But ultimately well worth the effort.

The build is looking great, by the way.  Those woods look lovely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Redoing is the key to success. Based on what I've seen on the course during this five year period every builder has to fix issues similar to yours, even the Master who has been a trained professional for 35 years. Finishing is a versatile beast! 

As you know, spray painting is similar be it guitars or cars. I once heard that a car painter had promised a flawless job for a car. He had to do it three times until the owner was satisfied. Story tells that several guys had nitpickingly checked the car to find any orange peel to get the job redone...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to polish the neck as the couple of small spots where the colour is different isn't obvious.  The clear came off the gun nicely so I just did a tiny smooth out with some 2000 grit.  But I noticed as I was polishing that I'd had a tiny little sand through on the headstock.  I have no idea how because I barely did any sanding and I was using virtually zero pressure.  I can only assume the finish was very very thin at that one spot.  You can see it in the first picture where the gloss ends.  Now I'm not sure whether to just leave it or spray it again.  

DX91vYF.jpg

Here are some other photos.

LqBXyhz.jpg

I7m6Ufy.jpg

ZNiocFK.jpg

oto78Ge.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Woltz said:

Now I'm not sure whether to just leave it or spray it again.  

It doesn't affect playability or structural integrity so leaving it is a valid option. If you keep thinking about it, spray it again just for sanity. As it's on a small face with sharp edges you can blend the fix without having to spray the entire neck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

If you keep thinking about it, spray it again just for sanity.

Or wipe on a bit of Danish Oil in that spot. The strings and nut will distract the eye from what is underneath.

That fretboard is hot!

SR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...