Affordable high gain passive pickups

love carvins and dimarzios.. d ont' care for mighty mites or cheap gibson pickups.. love old gibson humbuckers. lover ibanez V series pickups.. hate the BLaze pickups.. on the seven strings. damn sucky pickups.. tone less..

Too cool - three Lawrence fans on the same forum! :D I thought we were a dying breed. I've been using Bill's humbuckers since 1977 in various axes, and I've always loved 'em. Not for everybody, but they sure were a great alternative to Super Distortions back in the day. I like Duncans, and Barts are sweet, but there's just something about that L-500XL.

hate the BLaze pickups.. on the seven strings.  damn sucky pickups.. tone less..

Clearly you've never listened to Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare" album. That was recorded with stock blaze pickups on his 7 string. That album sounds absolutley amazing.

I have a blaze bridge and air norton 7 for the 7 string I'm building. I can't wait. If your looking for high output pickups, DiMarzio might be the way to go. Check out the Evoloution, Steve's Special, Blaze, Breed, Air Norton, Super Distortion, Tone Zone. Check out their website, it's actually very helpfull, it gives all the spec's to their pickups. www.dimarzio.com

Ryan

I'm totally a Dimarzio guy. X2N is cool for Super High Gain, Also the Super Distortions or Evolutions

Seymour duncan makes an affordable version of the Invader, I believe they call it the Detonator. The Dimebucker is Pretty gnarly but kinda pricey. The screamin Demon isn't too high gain, but very tasteful.

EMG (I KNOW YOU SAID PASSIVE) has the HZ series which are passive(SEE PASSIVE) I have had good repsonses with some of these that I have installed.

Bill LAwrence is cool, but perhaps not on the affordable side.

For good deals check out Ebay.

Alot of the Ibanez pickups are very dimarzio sounding, infact some were made by Dimarzio specifically for I banez.

The Ibanez IBZ USA Series are excellent as well as some of the V series pickups (Notably the V2 and V8)

Carvins are ok. Their highest output humbucker the M22SD is ok, but not as strong as they bill it to be. I have recently enjoyed using their TBH60 dual coil single pickups. They basically rip the design from duncan, but only cost me 30 bucks each. I found the series sound to be pleasing in the neck against a High gain bridge. The cleans are good especially when wired in parallel (Kinda weak though in parallel).

Hope that helps -Seth

Bill LAwrence is cool, but perhaps not on the affordable side.

***???

Bill's L-500 series are fifty bucks, six bucks more for a chrome cover.

Sorry, I guess it's been a while since I checked but I seem to remember them being closer to 100 bucks

Maybe it's time to reconsider.....hmmmm :D

Bill Lawrence Pickups are cheaper than a seymour duncan, when you buy a Bill Lawrence pickup you talk DIRECTLY to either Bill Or Becky, both are very friendly. And the invader is used by blink 182 B) where as the l-500 is used by Dimebag from pantera :D yeh i just threw the last fact in for fun. Thats why i prefer a bill alwrence. And Seymour Duncan must think the L-500 is good too, i mean they made their own lame copy that only cost twice as much and sound worse... and dime still uses the bill lawrence l-500 not the "Dimebucker".

B):D It's too bad the pickups don't write and play the music.Otherwise every spoiled kid in the world would have his EMG's writing tunes like James (used to). :D:D

PS I HATE EMG 81s.i hate all active pickups.they stink.Also,how many people do you think went out and bought Emgs just because of james?Emg Made a lot o $

B):D It's too bad the pickups don't write and play the music.Otherwise every spoiled kid in the world would have his EMG's writing tunes like James (used to). :D:D

PS I HATE EMG 81s.i hate all active pickups.they stink.Also,how many people do you think went out and bought Emgs just because of james?Emg Made a lot o $

well with that new "independant, original, never been done before" crap being mass produced in the music sector, why do you think all the metal bands use the 81?

cause of the tone, not cause of metallica...

i was kinda of a emg hater before i started using them too, mainly out of ignorance.... they're nice pickups, and they have a nice range of tones to pick from, although emg's site isn't that great at presenting them.

:DB) It's too bad the pickups don't write and play the music.Otherwise every spoiled kid in the world would have his EMG's writing tunes like James (used to). :D:D

it took me years to get around to trying emgs and once i did i loved them

and for your information james used to use the explorer with the stock gibson pickups...he only switched to emg later

on a different note...do you really think that post makes you look like you know what you are talking about?