Neck Laminates

skibum5545

Which one to go with?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

wait a second. have you checked the prices recently on ebony? its feasible to use the faux ebony guide to fake it on a piece of mahogany or something. besides one piece of laminate is not going to exactly make or break the sound. and wenge is quite expensive as well...... so you may not want to make that the majority of the neck.

have you concidered

maple-bubinga-wenge-faux ebony-wenge-bubinga-maple

it would still give you the laminated neck stability but for a little less. BTW bubinga is GREAT for necks.

wait a second. have you checked the prices recently on ebony? its feasible to use the faux ebony guide to fake it on a piece of mahogany or something. besides one piece of laminate is not going to exactly make or break the sound.

Well, I figure that macassar ebony will be $45.00 a bf, so at 1/2 in. x 2 in x 48 in long I get 1/3 bf or around $15. Wenge is around $20 a bf, so at 1 in. x 4 in (2x2in pieces)x48 is around $27, and then maple is cheap and bubinga wouldn't be more than $15 total, The neck woods would cost maybe $60 total. I also want the sound of wenge (growl a la Warwick) and the sustain of ebony (alembic constantly talks about the sustain of ebony) and the matching bubinga for the wings, so the wood choilce is fairly critical.

I assume 48 in. is long enough for angled headstock 34 in scale neck thru, right?

what about combing 3 and 4, so its wenge, maple, bubinga, maple, ebony
I'm not sure how difficulty goes up with number of laminates, so I don't know how much harder a 9 laminate neck would be. good idea though!

lam6.jpg

seems a bit busy to me....

i think 2 looks best because the bubinga would keep constant with the wings, and i like the contrast of the maple, but 3 is also good if you dont like all the contrast. I think that you should have a thin-or medium sized bubinga laminate on the edges to blend with the body, then a thick maple lam. on each side, and then put whatever you want in the middle. After all, it is your bass and your choice. Neal

• 3 weeks later...
I assume 48 in. is long enough for angled headstock 34 in scale neck thru, right?

I ROUGH cut my 38" scale to 52 then went from there. So I'd venture to say yes 48 is enough.

Ebony seems too expensive to me as well. Macassar ebony is nore like $65 b/f here in Austin, Texas. And the only chunks I can find are ~3 b/f. Too rich for my skill level.