My custom Kelly

Howdy! I've been lurking around here fore quite a while, and always I have a question I just do a quick search...and find the answer. Thank's folks for keeping this site up!

I'll add hereby my first guitar project (have built 2 basses before).

It was started something like spring last year and took quite a time to finish (couldn't find an airbrush artist here in Estonia for months...).

Spec:

Set in, 2-piece wenge laminate neck (happened to have enough from my last bass project), ebony fingerboard (Warmoth, pre-slotted), walnut body, Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck hb (directly mounted to body, fixed firmly with 6 screws), Schaller Floyd Rose, Gotoh tuners, Neutrik locking jack, 1x volume. There's a very good reason for such a straightforward design - the bloke I built it, as you can probably see from a pic, is a gigging musician in an extreme black metal band called Manatark. I even did a epoxy based (as thin as I could!) protective coating on the back 'cause I've seen what those bulletbelts do to the finish of a guitar :-(. Now it's almost indestructible.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a digicam lying around all the time so the pics only show first stages and a more or less finished "product".

Link: http://www.hot.ee/martinmg42/

Next one - 25,5'' scale "sort of" SG!

Very nice.

The graphics aren't my cup of tea, but they're very nicely executed, and the whole thing looks very clean and precise. Great work on the deep set neck, took me a while to figure out how it was done, until I saw the penultimate pic...

Cool! :D

:D my ego just rocketed...

Ref peghead - it has variable thickness (like old Gibsons, I've heard). Thicker towards the nut, thinner on end (point?). The tuners of course have to be aligned perpendiculary to the peghead face, thus I routed a small cavity to the peghead back, so all tuners are at the same..eee...height, too.

Also, you can see the peghead-neck connection is not perfect. It's very rough actually. The glue line itself is ok, I've just chiseled small grooves in it, according to the grain pattern of wenge. A sort of "extension" to the light-brown grain stripes. Then I mixed a matching (more or less B)) putty to fill the grooves. As a result I had a very smooth, almost not disrupted transition of grain from neck to peg. Should make a pic of it.

Morning!

Ref: neck finish - it's got oil finish. Simple to apply, feels very natural, looks good. Killing wenge with coats of paint wasn't even considered to be an option.

Ref: neck profile - actually it's a 24 3/4'' scale and profile is more or less of an LP.

Why? Cause the guitarist wanted it to be this way. He doesn't like those "race" necks at all. At first I made the neck too thick, bulky, considering that I can always sand it down. We made a pre-assembly with all the parts mounted, strings on, then he played it a bit and gave his verdict what should be done to the neck. A sort of tailor made guitar, heh.

Ref: bandsite - yes, of course: www.manatark.com

Have a nice day!

Well considering I'm probably one of the biggest explorer fans in the world B) I think it looks incredible and your workmenship is fantastic!!!!! The paint looks great, not my style but none the less it came out perfect. I like the idea of the neck/body attachment, it gives me some ideas :D