Skull / LED Guitar

Here's how it ended up. I didn't have time to make the fretboard really shine but it does look quite nice when it's done up right.

• birdseye maple neck with carbon fiber rods and hot rod truss (stewmac)
  • ebony fretboard with black MOP (compound radius 10 to 16")
  • XJ frets
  • alder body with eastern flame maple top
  • screamon demon in the bridge and alnicoII in the neck
  • seymour duncan pickup booster
  • kill switch
  • on/off switch for LED's
  • schaller floyd with R4 nut

I know it's not for everyone - my taste in guitars tends to be on the wild side. I don't let that interfere with the sound quality or feel though - that's extremely important to me. I have another in the works that has a sterling silver skull, sterling silver dots and uses fiber optics instead of LED's.

It sounds great. At first I was totally bummed because it had no bite and sounded real muddy on the lower strings. After a while of debugging I found that the push/pull was bad and I was actually getting both neck and bridge at the same time when in the bridge position :D. After swapping that out, it turned into a growling/screaming beast! B)

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me along the way.

SkullFinal%20001sml.jpg

SkullFinal%20002sml.jpg

SkullFinal%20004sml.jpg

SkullFinal%20005sml.jpg

A class act and a class axe!

How about an 'in the dark' shot to show off the LEDs? B)

The reverse hockey-stick headstock is sweet, and the small logo tastefully done. Funny how that small thing is one of the details that stuck out the most! Odd. :D

Greg

Thanks Greg. I was really happy with the logo - the first attempt was with transparency film and it started looking really bad as more clear went on. I stripped it down and did the logo over again.

Here's a couple more pics. I don't know how to take pics in the dark with my camera yet - there's one that turned out OK:

The back of the neck:

SkullBackNeck%20002.jpg

In the dark (I'll replace this if I can figure out how to take pics in the dark better):

SkullDark%20005sml.jpg

Thanks guys. It's not worthy of the GOTM though - I've seen some sweet guitars enter those contests. Lots of mistakes made on this one - most of them not visible and don't affect playing (none of them affect playing thankfully) but knowing that, I wouldn't feel right with entering that contest. Maybe another time. It's perfect for my basement rock star act though :D .

That's why there's the amateur division now!

Not that you have anything to feel badly about with that kick-ass guitar, but even that e-bay auction guitar with the scroll for the top horn is 'worthy' of at least entering. :D

Dave,

You should enter this in GOTM!

These same 2 guys talked me into putting mine in there.

That is inspiring work. Those LEDs will make alot of people think about doing it. And inspiring others / getting ideas from others for the next project is what this is all about (IMO).

Why not?

-Wayne

Thanks again guys - I guess I'll think about then.

The inlay is white MOP with blue LED's in the eyes. The engraving is filled with ebony dust and CA glue. I'm not sure I like the black MOP dots though - at first I thought it might be a good idea to highlight the skull by using something subtle for the dots. In the end, I'm not sure my idea for the dots worked so well. I'm thinking about drilling them out and putting in either white MOP or sterling silver. On ther other hand, the more I mess with something, the more chance for disaster :D .

I'm still trying to figure out the camera for taking pics in the dark. If anyone has a clue, please let me know. I'm using a Cannon A300 digital.

:D

Looking gourgeus ! You did a great job on that piece of art (screaming piece of art...I bet! ).

I am almost done my bass guitar, I installed optic fiber wire instead of leads, it's looking good for now...

enter GOTM ! go for it