First guitar, big mistake

I am bulding my first guitar, and my neighbor help me glue the the pieces of mahogany together, well we biscuits, don't ask me why, but anyway, as you can see on the picture, one of the biscuits is showing. Is there anything I can do to make it look any better, or shoudl I start over??

Thanks

guitar.jpg

Solid color.....

Or really wide sunburst, with a black edge.

This is a perfect example of how important it is to plan the placement of biscuits or dowels, IF you decide to use them.

There isn't really a need for them, but if you want to use them, plan ahead!

:D

I'd go for the solid color.

Given the carved top already, it would be nice to work on a gold top finish. Add some cream binding and some soap bar pickups. Mmmmmm. :D

Anyway, just going with an easier paint job would be the easiest thing to do. I'd build another one to do the transparent finish.

You could rout out 1/16th of an inch off the top of the desired area then get a peice of the same wood and cut it exactly just like an inlay, and glue it in and sand down to match height. If you put a darker finish on it it wouldnt show up at all. Even if you use a light finish you would have to stare at it to notice.

Just make sure you get the grain going the right way.

(I have done this before on my birtch kitchen floor and it works well, even with no finish)

i seem to recall someone NOT recomending biscut joining for this exact reason.. only their biscut was visible in the lower horn cut away area...

go solid colour, if this is your first guitar, odds are, an inlay to cover that is just way to much, to do well at least... just put it aside for down the road, and glue up another blank

Something similar happened to me on my first guitar, a LP copy. While I was making the carve top I accidentally carved way to much and you can saw the wood beneath the top. But I painted all black to look like a black beauty, so don´t worry, it will look OK.

Or maybe you can put an original inlay. I think I saw J.Hetfield´s (from Metallica) LP that have a metal cross in that place, maybe somebody was covering a screw up :D

Check some custom LP´s to get an original idea. good luck.

You could rout out 1/16th of an inch off the top of the desired area then get a peice of the same wood and cut it exactly just like an inlay, and glue it in and sand down to match height. If you put a darker finish on it it wouldnt show up at all. Even if you use a light finish you would have to stare at it to notice.

Just make sure you get the grain going the right way.

(I have done this before on my birtch kitchen floor and it works well, even with no finish)

Exactly what I was thinking except instead of trying to hide it, accentuate it with a contrasting wood. Rout a channel down the center of the body the entire length of the body, glue in your contrast wood (or a lamination of different woods!) and carve back down to the original contour. Might make it look kind of like a neck through.

btw, my initial reaction was to remedy with a Bigsby tailpiece.

just my .02