ScottR    1,366

I'm pretty sure I say this about all your stuff.....but I'll say it again.

That looks amazing!

SR

Andyjr1515    536

Just remembered why we've missed you so much!  Outstandingly wonderful colours on that neck!

ScottR    1,366

Man, you've just got to love ziricote tops! They will tend to brighten things up a bit, though. Did you by any chance use ziricote for the fretboard too?

SR

killemall8    392

Thanks man! It feels good to get some work done. The full blown desire to build still isnt there, but it felt really good to get some work done.

Scott,
I love the look of ziricote!
I used wenge for the fretboard unfortunately.

ScottR    1,366
9 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

i had always wanted to do a zebrawood carved top.

And you should do more. That's good stuff!

SR

Norris    209
10 hours ago, killemall8 said:

My local wood store ...

B-) Colour me envious if they have such beautiful wood!

pan_kara    151

wow, took me a while. First I thought there's some window or fence in the top left of the picture. That's some super sharp reflections, I can't even see orange peel. Did you manage to get it mirror-flat?

Prostheta    1,257

Mostly patience, Piotr. It's mostly a case of flattening each layer after it goes on, spraying another layer, flattening....then the final layer is flattened, sanded through the grits and then into compounds before polishes and maybe waxing. At the very least, that is what I think Luis has done here.

killemall8    392
13 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Mostly patience, Piotr. It's mostly a case of flattening each layer after it goes on, spraying another layer, flattening....then the final layer is flattened, sanded through the grits and then into compounds before polishes and maybe waxing. At the very least, that is what I think Luis has done here.

Close, but not nearly as work heavy as that.

I use a UV cure sealer now. Dries in minutes. 3 coats of sealer,  leveled back until its perfectly flat. Sanded to 800 grit before applying color. Then 3 coats of Auto 2k clear. The sanded to 4000 grit, 3 stages of polishing compound. The end!

killemall8    392

Speaking of such process,
I just got this one sealed and sanded to 800. I'll start the color this week. Thinking green, blue and black burst.

DSCF1798.JPG

pan_kara    151

yea I think I understand the concept more or less, I just don't think I managed to get rid of ALL orange peel and at the same time get the surface flat on a macroscopic level. I guess this is some linear combination of crappy paint, lack of patience and fear of sanding through. On the 5 or so attempts at a clearcoated body that I've tried up to now - so yes, this is a completely different league that I'm in :)

killemall8    392

Hmm, orange peel comes off pretty easily. I can usually start with 2000 grit paper on my finishes. Almost impossible to sand through with 2k paper.

killemall8    392

So after the zebrawood body has been sitting there for about a week, its developed a massive amount of large cracks everywhere. I forgot how unstable zebrawood was in thick slabs. Hopefully i can save it.

I think I may have said this in another of your threads, but you are one of the reasons I want to continue to build. To hopefully get to your level of skill. Yours, Pros', Scott's, and Curtis'. Your guitars are amazing.

Cheers,

Chuck

mattharris75    164
1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I'm not as skilled - I'm just pre-meditated. :D

This is similar to what I tell friends and family when they say something like, "Oh, you're so talented". 

I'll say that it's not talent, it's primarily a combination of patience and stubbornness combined with a little bit of planning. :)

• Like 2

killemall8    392
8 hours ago, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

I think I may have said this in another of your threads, but you are one of the reasons I want to continue to build. To hopefully get to your level of skill. Yours, Pros', Scott's, and Curtis'. Your guitars are amazing.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks man, that means a lot!
Whenever i get burned out or dont feel like working on guitars anymore i go through my favorite builders pics and get some new motivation.
Here is a finish im working on. Ive always wanted to do one like this. Dragon burst!

DSCF1804.JPG

DSCF1806.JPG

• Like 2