KEA 2017 builds

• 2 months later...

Mostly patience, Piotr. It's mostly a case of flattening each layer after it goes on, spraying another layer, flattening....then the final layer is flattened, sanded through the grits and then into compounds before polishes and maybe waxing. At the very least, that is what I think Luis has done here.

13 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Mostly patience, Piotr. It's mostly a case of flattening each layer after it goes on, spraying another layer, flattening....then the final layer is flattened, sanded through the grits and then into compounds before polishes and maybe waxing. At the very least, that is what I think Luis has done here.

Close, but not nearly as work heavy as that.

I use a UV cure sealer now. Dries in minutes. 3 coats of sealer,  leveled back until its perfectly flat. Sanded to 800 grit before applying color. Then 3 coats of Auto 2k clear. The sanded to 4000 grit, 3 stages of polishing compound. The end!

yea I think I understand the concept more or less, I just don't think I managed to get rid of ALL orange peel and at the same time get the surface flat on a macroscopic level. I guess this is some linear combination of crappy paint, lack of patience and fear of sanding through. On the 5 or so attempts at a clearcoated body that I've tried up to now - so yes, this is a completely different league that I'm in :)

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I'm not as skilled - I'm just pre-meditated. :D

This is similar to what I tell friends and family when they say something like, "Oh, you're so talented". 

I'll say that it's not talent, it's primarily a combination of patience and stubbornness combined with a little bit of planning. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

I think I may have said this in another of your threads, but you are one of the reasons I want to continue to build. To hopefully get to your level of skill. Yours, Pros', Scott's, and Curtis'. Your guitars are amazing.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks man, that means a lot!
Whenever i get burned out or dont feel like working on guitars anymore i go through my favorite builders pics and get some new motivation.
Here is a finish im working on. Ive always wanted to do one like this. Dragon burst!

DSCF1804.JPG

DSCF1806.JPG

• Like 2