Gibson wins case against PRS!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason to hate Gibson!!

Their quality is already CRAP.

Their target market is Doctors, Lawers, and Executives that want the "status" of owning a GIBSON

They are yet another big corporate foat-cat that wants to be in control of everything

And Fender ain't much better!!!

OOOHHH I am ANGRY!

Dave

the singlecut is very similar to the LP, as much as any knockoff I've seen. Even though the quality is better, there are still issues involved. I'd be ticked if a company took my design, made it better, then started digging into my sales with it. wouldn't you?

Rones

the way i see it , is that people are going to be attracted to les pauls, or prs singlecuts...and most beginners will buy an epiphone, or a prs se model

so gibson are stabbing themselves in the balls with this

the singlecut is very similar to the LP, as much as any knockoff I've seen. Even though the quality is better, there are still issues involved. I'd be ticked if a company took my design, made it better, then started digging into my sales with it. wouldn't you?

Rones

yes i would be pissed.i am sure gibson will still sell guitars and do just fine with it

gibson made a very unique,classic design.they did it also with the explorer and the v.the first thing i thought when i saw the prs was "man that sure is a blatent copy"

the singlecut is very similar to the LP, as much as any knockoff I've seen.  Even though the quality is better, there are still issues involved.  I'd be ticked if a company took my design, made it better, then started digging into my sales with it.  wouldn't you?

Rones

yes i would be pissed.i am sure gibson will still sell guitars and do just fine with it

gibson made a very unique,classic design.they did it also with the explorer and the v.the first thing i thought when i saw the prs was "man that sure is a blatent copy"

me too. i had always assumed it was liscensed.

I fi was gibson id be mroe scared of agile, they make just as good quality instruments and a AMAZING price. I dont know how any company can chanrge 1000+ for a mass produce guitar. Id only pay that much for a custom guitar that only i would own. Agile also copie the PRS shape, Jackson'd King V, Gibson's Explorer, Tele's, Strat's... you get the point

sorry but agile's fit and finish is not that good.we had this discussion a while back and although they are well worth the price,alot of the hardware is off center and the tone and volume knobs are inconsistent in their placement.makes me wonder about the truss rod routing and the quality where you can'tsee it

but this is not a slam against agile,theyare just not in the same ballpark

Hamer was started by 2 guys that did most of Gibson's repair work in Chicago. I believe they were the largest buyer of Gibby parts and after touring the Gibby plant decided "we could do that". The rest is history.........

I think the point with Hamer is that they do fork over some $$ for the body styles to the original designers. They went through a little tussle with Gibson after they started and I believe it was settled behind closed doors.

Now if they would just design a headstock that is not so D#$% ugly they'd have a great looking line. Their guitars sound sweet and the fit and finish on the ones I've seen is of very good quality. The sound is unbelievable for the little money they cost, but the headstock.......yikes!!!!

well although i think the gibson people are a bunch of idiots! i dont feel bad for prs, they have been after anyone who come close to their style, warmoth,saga,etc. they will probably try to nail me sooner or later! i love prs guitars, but im not fond of the single cut, i geuss cause its already been done and i want some new cool designs in this world! jeeze where are the artists at? how hard is it to create unique great looking intsruments? i officially boyccot gibson! and prs! and fender! i will only support local and upcomming lutheirs from now on! unless i come across a nice mint 61 sg, then i will have to get it!

Hamer is a Kaman company now, made in CT. The old Hamer is dead and the factory closed. They're still nice guitars, but if you're looking for the Gibson connection I'd look to Heritage in Kalamazoo. My beef with Gibson is that Henry Juszkiewicz never designed anything. He controls a name now, that's all. Guys like Les Paul probably couldn't care less about the copies, cheap or professional. What Gibson doesn't understand is that the copies help them sell "real ones" even if they are exact copies-IF gibson's quality is appropriate to their price-which it is NOT. It's all about cheaping out, making a crappy guitar, selling it for 3 times what it's worth, and then cornering the market so there's no alternatives. It's been several hours and I still have that punch in the jaw waiting. I haven't calmed down yet! :D

I've always thought Juszkiewicz was an evil man and I still do. He should figure out how to get the belt sander grooves out of his fretboards with the money he spends on lawyers. How 'bout taming that hump in the fretboard at the neck joint? That'd be nice. And can we not have 22 cracks in the binding where the fret tangs are when your soaking wet fretboard shrinks down? By the way you wouldn't have to do "weight relief" on a mahogany back if you got a good piece of wood you filthy animal. Still, he's no Ken Ley B)

Yeh, somehow Agile is getting away with this al2500cs122a.jpg (notcie the rounded horn, some think its because they where afraid of gibson suing them, it used to be normal) Whos next ESP? EclipseII_acs.jpg

sorry for all the pics

actually ESP was already taken care of.

Ever wonder why they don't offer the Hetfield signature explorer anymore? And for a while it was the gay new one or whatevr it was called.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, its a wierd thing. If you hate the Hamer headstock, look at the santana III. They are damn near the same.

I think Gibson may own ESP. Dont know tho.

I do know that Kramers are made by ESP. Gibson owns Kramer.

Kramers USED to be made by ESP in the 80's i think. Im pretty sure ESP isent owned by Gibson or anyone. Seeing as their based in Japan, and no have american factorys. But i remember when ESP did some Strat copies, so it would interesting if Gibson owned ESP

From strolling through their website, Hamer still has an active "Made in the USA" component, which as far as I can tell still uses the same staff and machines that it always has...? Either that, or the original owner maintains some seriously strong ties to the company....

An early 90's Hamer Studio archtop is my idea of 'vintage'... those were some beautiful guitars.

I also officially boycott Fender, PRS, and Gibson.

Of course, I can't afford PRS or Gibson, so that part was easy. :D As for Fender, the G&L "Tribute" line will be the last factory-made strat that I will consider purchasing. Bang for the buck, and nice-looking, too. Too bad the "Tribute" decal is ugly-- I don't mind a non-Fender headstock, though.

RUMOR has it that Gibson offered to settle out of court with PRS, but PRS told them to go f-themselves.

Who's f-ing who now?

BTW- The absolute irony of all this is that Mr. Reed-Smith (his married name) used to send spies around at NAMM and other guitar shows to bring back info on other models from other manufacturers. I specifically remember the company who did the bird inlays. PRS tried to sue them, but lost because the tiny one- (or two) man company had done the inlays 30 years ago. There was an ancient article in a magazine about the guitar, which had automatically (albeit inadvertently) copyrighted the design via the pics being published.

Karma, man.....karma.

As far as the Strat/Tele trademarking:

*if* that goes through, and that's a big "if", companies that make copies will have to designate all their respective models with "The Stratocaster guitar body shape is a registered trademark of Fender Musical Instruments, Inc.", and/or "® Fender". Licensing could happen, but at the very least plan on seeing some of the smaller (yet better) builders either quitting building altogether, or coming up with odd shapes.

I wonder if they'll all it "Tele-Marking". :D

Just so you guys know, Gibson has a KICKASS legal team (up there with Sony's), and Fender actually has an in-house legal team.

Scary.