Your first guitar

bigdguitars

my first is a unnamed spanisch guitar, i love the nylon strings, i hate steelstring acoustics

my first electric is a j&d les paul copy, it feel really solid, although it doesent look as nice as when i bought it, i cant believe believe i polisched it when i just had it B) because some months ago i sawn a piece out :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First accoustic : Yamaha G-150-1. Classical, From the 70's, not sure when. Still plays like a dream. A gift to my Dad from, of all people, a travelling priest.

First electric : Yamaha Pacifica 302S, Tele style. Needs new strings, and also to get out some more. I love the thing, all green and blue pretty with gold hardware...

My first guitat was a Hohner Baton Rougue

sammy1.jpg

sammy2.jpg

To this day I still dont own any really great guitars, but ive bought a few ones that are supposed to be pretty decent.... but i can still safely say the Hohner is the highest quality guitar I own.... its just a really really solid guitar all round. I bought a JB for the bridge but im still yet to buy a new neck pickup install it, since for some reason I keep spending my money on more crappy guitars B) I need to sell off my 3 'intermediate' electrics and buy a nice custom axe of Perry :D I just need to raise up the $2500 lol

I'll never sell my #1 :D

One day wheen im rich and famous i will still have it and ill sell it off for $20,000 and give the money to charity :D

Edited by Jivin

i won an Affinity Squier strat in a local radio contest. that was my first electric.

however, my first guitar was a very old (i have no info on it) Yamaha acoustic from i want to say sometime between 72-76. not sure. was my mom's. and she got it in a pawn shop so it's probably older than that.

my first bass was a Peavey Foundation. my little brother has that now.

i've borrowed my friend's Ibanez JetKing 1 and Epiphone LP-100 quite a few times for punk shows (strats just lack some of the major balls needed to really show up sometimes...not all the time, but sometimes...)

my current (and most likely last) bass i own is a Dean Razor Neck-thru Custom Series, #732 of 800. beautiful sound. yet i'm still searching desparately to find someone with some used MEC-II pups i can either steal or buy off 'em (steal, 'cause who would actually sell those?!).

amp-wise, for bass i have a Fender BXR 120w and an Aims by Randall Basso, 225w w/ a Peavey Black Widow 15". guitar, Ibanez H-100 i think it's called? not sure. 100w, 2-channel, half-stack. sounds great for a solid state.

Xmas 1979 my Dad got my Mom a 3/4 Sears acoustic. She played it a little, I played it a lot...the rest is history.

Xmas 1980, Sears LP copy (cherry burst) and Sears amp. Within a year, I could play every Rush tune from the first album up to "Moving Pictures" on that thing, with HUGE action! Summer 1982 I got a real LP Custom...the difference was night & day.

Just before graduation from high school 1984, I gave the Sears LP to my best friend in exchange for his first-ever bass (Fender Jazz copy, says "Mana" on the headstock, we used to kid him all the time that it was his "Mama's bass"). It was a contest to see who could play with the highest action!

Two years later, coming home from a gig, he was killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. I don't know where the Sears LP is, but I'll never get rid of that "Mama" bass.

Edited by erikbojerik

My first guitar (about 1986) - a Hohner Arbor series. Total Strat copy in antique white. I thought it was great, until I discovered humbuckers.

Second guitar (birthday present in '87) was an Aria Pro II XX Deluxe. V shape in red with a maple fingerboard, two humbuckers and a vintage trem. Now THAT was a fantastic guitar and I loved it to bits. Shame I sold it as I would give anything to have it back now.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar #1: A no-name, kid-size acoustic with nylon strings. Some guy named Fred made me do speed drills for like two years.

Guitar #2: Univox Les Paul knockoff. It was a gold top no less. It had better action then Guitar #3 and sounded better too.

Guitar #3: Gibson S-1. A bizarre thing with a flying-v style arrow head neck and something like a Les Paul Junior body. To this day I think this was limited production run that Gibson set up to get rid of parts overstock. This axe was probably the worst axe I ever owned. I had buyer's remorse for years. I hated this axe so much, I let my ex-wife keep it when I moved out.

Guitar #4: A 1990 Fat Strat fron Fender Japan. Fully equipped with a Floyd Rose locking tremolo and a Dimarzio FRED (F-Spaced) abd wired so it could be split. I loved this axe. It got stolen from my house on Thanks Giving night 1991.

Guitar #5: Another Fat Strat from Fender Japan, only this one is from 1991. Has the same features except it has the older-style, Philips Head truss adjustment instead of a hex nut and it has the stock Humbucker in it. I still have this one and it gets its share of play time. I use it mostly for recording as it stays in tune really well.

Guitar #6: A beat-up Ibanez Ex Series from the 80's. I got it from some guy on the street for 50 bucks about 10 years ago. Said he was trying to buy an Amtrak ticket to someplace. The back tremolo cover is missing and the controls are all crackly, and the paint is chipped. The tuning machines are shot, and the tremolo is a real cheap knock off. Guass what? This is my favorite axe. It sounds great, and the neck (this is from a time before the Wizard necks) is super comfortable, thin, and FAST. This one is probably my next candidate for upgrades.

EB

Edited by elburromjf

(1994) My fist was a 81' Yamaha G245-SII Classical with Brazilian Rosewood back sides, My mom had it for awhile before I was born and after sneaking it out at night while she was at work she finally let me learn to play the thing. I still have that thing, and it's quite shocking the tone and loudness of that thing. My guitar teacher at the time wanted to buy it off of me a few times.

(1995) 1985 Kramer Focus 3000, started off a $250.00 restored job, I tore that thing up a bunch over the years. The Floyd Rose has now been replaced by a flatmount Kahler, the pickups are 2 EMG selects and a Fender Custom Shop Humbucker, it's got loads of switches on it so I got just about every pickup combination possible as well as a few Fender Jaguar type traits. Eventually I intend to restore it most of the way back to original (all but the switching system which I love), but I want to get the Lynx out of the way first.

(1999) B.C. Rich Ironbird NJ bass, bought on a whim at a store in the valley. It just stood out amongst all the P-Basses and J-Basses, that's why I liked it. My friend's Ex-Fiancee keeps trying to buy this one off of me.

(1999) My first current "Big Name" electric, 1996 Fender Jag-Stang, which I only bought because it had EMG's, it's currently my favorite guitar in my entire setup, I don't know why but I have a thing for surf/grunge guitars done up for Hard Rock.

Well lets see...

My first and only built guitar right now is Abilene. I got it in 2000 and never touched it until about 2 or 3 months ago when i finally had time for lessons. It is Samick made, but its brand is Silvertone, becuase Samick bought Silvertone.

My second one is in paint right now and its a custome made LP style guitar. Hopfully it will be 2004 but probably 2005 becuase of traveling to indiana a lot to see my brother at IU.

My first guitar was Crestwood. Which was an unheard of Company that sold them cheap. However, My Second and still my favorite was a 74 Electra Flying Wedge. It was a bolt on neck with the most unusual pickups I have ever seen. The tops of the chrome PAF style pickups were cutout to expose the bobbins which were clear to see the wraps on em and a thin piece of clear plastic on top of that to protect the pole pieces. Got a Peavey Backstage amp to play it thru and they were sold when I ran outta money back in like 79. I'd give me right nutt to get THAT back again.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess no one had one of this.... (no wonder...)

:D

My first guitar was a Maison Professional (professional cause it wouldn't crack after 3 months). It had a plywood explorer like body and a neck made out of some wood I'm still try to figure out what kind. Oh well...still it gave me a lot of hours of fun allthough I always had problems when I wanted to take it somewhere cause I could never find a case for it.

Cheers,

Pedro

my first guitar was an epiphone acoustic was my first, sadly i broke the nut earlier this year though and havent gotten to replacing it

my second guitar is my ibanex rg421, it sounds better than any guitar ive ever played on, and its got HOT pickups.. the v7 v8 combo.. who'da thunk it

and last night i got me an old Kay f-hol style acoustic with no bridge and tail peice. it looks purty though so im going to fix her up

I was "indefinately-borrowing" My Dear Mother's:

1962 Gibson LG-1 (not a pic of the actual one)

p_1058_1.JPG

It got ripped-off in 1979....right along with My 1st Electric...a '79 (just purchased) natural-finished Strat and an early 70's Ovation Legend.

Do I miss them?

(Uh, yeah).....especially considering the value of 1962 LG-1's right now! And the fact that the Gibson was My Own Mom's's guitar. I voluntered to buy her another one but she had since taken up piano...and "forgave" me.

Thing of it was, I knew Who the Blankety-Blanking/ Blankety-Blankers were who ripped-me-off! But was moving out of state (that very day)....

Gave the local-police the Models (but was too naiive to have the serial numbers written down). They were never recovered.....

So. Plz write down Yer Serial Numbers (as I have since)! And also, "scribe yer name" in a conspicuous (hidden) area on Yer Axes. Guitar Insurance is quite inexpensive too.

*sighs*

Edited by rick_here

My first guitar was a classical that was given to me from my sister. I killed it a few weeks later when I put steel strings on it, The neck snapped clean off!

The first electric I got was an Encore strat. I was horrendous, the trem had a mind of it's own, it was a miracle if it stayed in tune for longer than one song!

Genbloke

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread. My first guitar was a Yamaha dreadnaught from the early 80's sold it off foolishly, I do miss that guitar. Next was an Ovation Celebrity I still own, and my first electric was a MIM fat strat. Love it, but hardly ever play it now, I have 8 other guitars now, and it gets lost in the shuffle.

Geoge

Mid 70's Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul copy. Didn't know there was a lawsuit until later, or I would have held on to it. It played better than any LP i've ever played, but i've only played a few standards and studios. So maybe not the better than all LP's, but a damn good copy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born into this world with more than one guitar cause my parents dont even use them, i take care of them and i used them to get started. so here goes...

1. 60s yamaha acoustic dynamic classical (was my moms)

2. 1960s gibson hummingbird with a 60s something martin top (the original top got smashed or something. Is my dads but I finally told him to go fix it) - it's the most beautiful sounding acoustic to my ears B)

3. 1960s Eko bass (Les Claypool loves them. Is my dads but finally told my dad to get it fixed))

4. MY FIRST ELECTRIC THAT I DIDN'T BUY! - a 1960s silvertone/teisco from my uncle. It's the ultimate twang guitar. I lost the original whammy bar so I just used a wrench. It looks so boss.

5. MY FIRST ELECTRIC THAT I DID BUY! - A Yamaha RGX121S in flat black. I can't tell if it's a fender style neck or wizzard.

-Jamie :D