Truss Rod Preferences?

jay5

I was just curious as to what truss rod everyone prefers. I have a couple of Hotrods that I'm putting in the necks I am working on but I was curious, which truss rods do you all prefer? I found the LMI rods the other day and was wondering if anyone has used them? They have a double rod but it's $21 which seems a bit hight to me. Anyway, any opinions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had planned on just using a 1/4" with the Hotrod and either shimming it at both ends (if needed) or just seating it with some silicone. I have heard that works. Should be a similar operation with the LMI standard rod which is 3/16" wide.

Sweet find Erik! Thanks alot! I was a little hesitant about using the 1/4" bit on the hotrod. I will definately give these a go in the future. Perry, what rods do you use? What do you mean when you say versitile? Application versitility or use? Thanks guys!

I used the 1/4" bit on my hotrod and it works fine. It's a little bit loosey goosey but a little bathtub sealer and it will be fine.

alot of people do this,but if i wanted a small rod in a big rout,i would buy a $200 guitar.

for me,the whole reason behind building is too try and tighten up those godawful tolerances :D

I used the 1/4" bit on my hotrod and it works fine. It's a little bit loosey goosey but a little bathtub sealer and it will be fine.

alot of people do this,but if i wanted a small rod in a big rout,i would buy a $200 guitar.

for me,the whole reason behind building is too try and tighten up those godawful tolerances :D

ya me too! but to me the trussrod rout is one thing that doesent REALLY matter...

Everything like neck to body and such I try my hardest to get a TIGHT fit.

to me the trussrod rout is one thing that doesent REALLY matter...

of course it does...more wood in the desired area of the neck is a good thing.

but really everything matters in one way or another.

it's just like getting the cavity routs clean...it may not noticeably(or at all) affect the tone,but it just makes you feel better knowing everything is in order

as for the depth concern with HotRods, the difference in size between the hotrod and the Allied Lutherie Ltd is only 0.062". i dont know how precise and thin you guys are making these necks but, thats not a big enough difference to care. (its aoubt 1/16" if anybody cares)

has anyone used the traditional Gibson style truss rods

stew mac

What are they like?

I always used aluminum channel style truss rods like the ones stew mac sells for martins , they are only 3/8 " deep and are wider though 7/16" . I route a 1/16 " deeper and used a maple filler , spread epoxy in the route and drop in the rod and then the filler and clamp . This way there is no water to swell the neck that needs to dry out well before going on . Beside this the nut fits in hole drilled into the heel end rather than like hot rod . I could not find the channel type for the strat I'm building now so I got a hotrod , after I got the 7/32" proper bit and routed the channel I still went a bit deeper to allow for a maple filler . I did'nt like the idea of the rod getting glue on it or it being against the back of the fingerboard . Also I made a filler strip for the end so the nut was not sitting in an open channel . I f I would have looked further on stew macs site I would have found the channel style . To me they are more stable and do have a thicker rod , once this is epoxied in place it is not going anywhere and becomes part of the neck . However it is a one way rod but I always make certain I have a bit of upbow . I already did install the hotrod but I don't think I will use one again . It's precision made and I don't care about thin necks for me , I like deep necks . The one thing I found is the nut is welded on and it is not centered so it rubs one side of the route when rotated , not a big deal , you are not making 360 degree turns . I would rather have the width cut from the neck than the depth and one unit with one moving part and not bother with silcone to keep it from a rattle .

I got one from LMI a single action double rod but I did not care for the quaility , it was not welded straight with one rod perfect above the other and the flat welded 3/16" square stock they used for the nut to bear against was not true to the nut set and the threads were running crooked on the rod . It may have worked but I personally would not use something that I did not fully trust , not in a neck I'm going to spend hours making and years playing .

When you think about rods more , think about neck twist , a single or dual rod with fittings on one or both ends acts as a pivot and will move with the neck if the wood should decide to twist . An aluminum thick walled channel bonded to the neck on all sides adds strength and would take alot more effort to twist it , and ther nut and rod cannot act as a pivot , the rod can only rotate in the channel .

If you take a metal rod and tighten it to cause a bow it wants to flip and twist against the pressure . Maybe this is a small issue but to me it is not .

Hi everyone,

I have waited for an opertunity to post this;

I have had the pleasure of buying parts from Perry, and he is truely knowledgeable about his stock, and is always willing to answer/advise as to what best suits your needs.

If you are thinking about ordering a trussrod (or anything) from Perry, i assure you that you wont be disapointed.

Hope everyone has had a good start to the new year,

Luke

Catnine is right. The Martin-style is THE way to go if you are making a new neck. For repairs, I would ABSOLUTELY go with the single-acting two-rod LMI. It puts the correct load on the neck and is a breeze to reset in old slots. Don't forget the bathtub caulk! I found that gluing the fretboard back on with a small amount of your original problem solved(back/front) really helps keep the neck out of a large truss-related load. And, what is $20.00 compared with the trauma you and your guitar go through when the crappy rod fails?

When you think about rods more , think about neck twist , a single or dual rod with fittings on one or both ends acts as a pivot and will move with the neck if the wood should decide to twist . An aluminum thick walled channel bonded to the neck on all sides adds strength and would take alot more effort to twist it , and ther nut and rod cannot act as a pivot , the rod can only rotate in the channel .

If you take a metal rod and tighten it to cause a bow it wants to flip and twist against the pressure . Maybe this is a small issue but to me it is not .

<sarcasm> Yes, you are 100% correct. Im going to start writing letters to the manufacturers of the last 10,000,000,000 guitars that used these rods, and tell them their guitars are rat ****. </sarcasm>

Your twisting theory is flawed. Whats the difference if the rod is encased with some thin aluminium, or if its encased with more than 1/2" of wood?? When was the last time you saw a twisted neck because of the type of truss rod?? Name one electric guitar maker that uses Martin rods?? Show me proof that non-Martin rods cause neck troubles.

Epoxying the truss rod in to the neck pretty much guarantees it aint going to work efficiently.