What you want to learn about most

Brian

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest AlexVDL

Woodworking for me... I like woods and you can do so much with it.

But I like to see more tips on doing professional stuff with a low budget for all catagories. Like Coen's roller idea for painting a guitar. Or building your own fretfile from scrap etc. How to use expensive equipment is not that difficult... each one comes with a manual B) Nah it's not that black and white, but I hope you know what I mean.

But overal I like to see more neck building, body sawing and shaping etc. Afterall that's when you're building a guitar. For me finishing is not that important... I like relics :D

from what I've read the finishing is about care and application. Woodworking has always been a black art to me though, and that's my choice!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I know I would like a tutorial on how to repair a body with a great big nasty hole chopped out of it in a less than strategic position (everyone who has seen the pics of my strat body know what I mean).

so obviously I voted for woodworking.

finishing is interesting. definitely something we'd all like to know more about. I'm considering using an unfinished neck but don't know how to keep it from twisting etc. over the years, so maybe something on how to get the best of both worlds here?

and then we have electrics. changing pickups is something we do all the time to all of our guitars, right? so maybe some pointers for those of us who aren't very experienced and always manage to mess it all up?

ADMIN EDIT- Lets keep it clean.

• 1 year later...

elecs. i can go to my uncles for woodworking if need be, and finishing, well, IMO there isn't much to it. i know you'll all be "whoa! what?!" but as i said, IMO, it's kinda simple as long as you have patience.

but yeah, i'm getting into experimenting w/ elecs, and enjoying it much. bringing back memories from high school electronics classes. :D

I voted finishing. I can do a mean oil finish, but I suck with spray finishing. I find the whole level sanding portion tedious, though if I was better at it, I'd probably enjoy it. I don't fully understand the whole washcoat/sealer/primer/basecoat/topcoat thing, or whatever.

As a newbie,

I would say everything...

But probably finishing and electronics most - from what i understands, woodworking is more about practice...

Maybe some basic beginner stuff on wiring, or pickups, etc. I don't even know why some wires are fatter than others - so i guess basic stuff like that

A list of finishing options and methods, with pics

That way, people can go in and see what they like and know what the name is, what products are needed and the basic process. Maybe over time tutorials could be added on how to do each, then each time someone does something new, it's just added to the list.

and wetsanding - i don't get that at all.

However, i haven't started building yet and have never tried any finishing, so i don't know anything :D

B)

Edited by fehgalloway

Wow that was really difficult. I selected woodworking. Would suggest some focus on actual tool usage. I'm pretty novice with it all but am not an idiot (my opinion anyway), smart enough to know many of these tools have caused lots of injuries. In turn I haven't taken my Scroll Saw outta the box yet until I have time get familiar with usage beyond reading the manual.

My 1 & 1/2 cents.

I'd like to see more woodworking info. I have yet to build a neck from scratch and have been holding off on my next 2 projects because I'm afraid of screwing it up.........

Since I've been in electronics for 25+ years (I am getting older!!) so that's my strong point. There are also a few web sites that deal with electronics almost exclusively and if I need a wiring diagram I can go there. To me it seems like it would be a waste of PG's bandwidth to rehash what is already available for guitar electronics. Finishing is also pretty basic for me and I enjoy the trial and error. I don't enjoy the hours of hand sanding and wet sanding but it goes with the territory if you want a nice finish.

Not trying to steal any fire from Brian or PG, just trying to help really.

Finishing (I think) is my strong point, I've played with most of the popular finishes (not all) and have weeded thru most of the landmines that can occur.

So for all of you who want to get better at finishing, I would recommend these two sources, I consider them seminal in my finishing experience.

1) Dan Erlewine/Stew-Mac 'Spray Finishing Basics' and 'Spray Finishing W/ Colors' videos.

Watching someone do finishing right in front of your eyes on your TV while you do the couch potato shuffle removes a LOT of questions, and Dan is a great teacher.

2) 'Understanding Wood Finishing' by Bob Flexner / Rodale Press.

This is the BIBLE of finishing people.

I consider the knowledge gained between these 2 sources as mandatory learning for finishing. They got me where I am today, and I consider BOTH of them as mandatory, the information from each cross-pollinates into the other in a fantastic way.

:D

i had trouble deciding between woodworking and finishing, but in the end i chose woodworking because that is currently what i am most concernd with and is my weak point right now.

If you make a mistake finisng your guitar guitar you can always sand it on and start over (most of the time), but if you mis-route the neck pocket or

mis-bandsaw your body then you'r back to square one.

they are both very important though

For me, woodworking. In particular, little 'tricks' and DIY jigs that stops the need for expenisive equiptment. Not because i am cheap, I just like the idea of fashioning a guitar using readily availible/common tools and ad ons.

I guess like how Stradivarius honed viloins using tools 'primitave' in today's highly mechanised world.

I would like to read more information about finishing with dyes contained here.

I see posts that confuse me because they start out talking about which DYES are compatible with different top coats, etc. but then refer to it as a STAIN further along in posts.

It would be cool to have a list of products from people who have experimented with different DYES and/or STAINS and who know the differences between the two as well as a few pics showing (and proving) their results (on scrap pieces would be fine).

Something similar to LGM's guides on finishing with solid colors.

I know this info is available on the net elsewhere (such as reranch) but it would be nice to see it condensed into a tut here.

Anything and all that's finish related. I am so mad that I did everything else the way that the can described and it's almost 2 months and the finish on the strat still soft under, so is the LP and I can't say much about the Limp V. I did the coats in the way that ReRanc hexplains, and they were great, but I don't know what went wrong. I think that I'm going to go the way Drak mantioned and get the Stew MAc video, just to see how thick they lay the paint. I don't want to say I'm good but I can lay it pretty thick and have no runs at all. So there got to be a little detail that I'm missing and will be great to get to see videos.

hint, hint Jeremy, I know you have done some awsome tutorials, but if you could pull a small video file, I would be more than greatful. kinda like the one here http://www.wayneguitars.com/workshop_video.html I love this, but when he does the paint they show the sloppy part of shooting the sealer, but the base and clear and then the colorsanding... here is were you make or brake the finish. I love this site... thanks Brian and everybody else for all the help ....