Finished - Polka Dot Veeee Randy Rhoads Replica

Wow, what a long journey this one has been,

Took the deposit on this guitar in October 2003. It was actually my first international order (Florida). The client got a screamer of a deal, because im a huge Randy Rhoads fan.

Neck through laminated maple, with scarf joint. African Mahogany wings (heavy, bell like tap tone). Ebony fretboard, 25" scale, mother of pearl inlays. Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF pickups.

122-2277_IMG.jpg

122-2282_IMG.jpg

This hombre is Mark Devattimo, nominee for Guitarist of the Year in our local industry awards. Yup, he will nail the competition. these are the promo shots for the winners profile :D

122-2299_IMG.jpg

122-2290_IMG.jpg

More pics here, here, and here.

Ok, here is the sound byte. The guy who recorded it was Graham Greene (www.grahamgreene.com) who is actually an Ibanez endorsee. He is talking about dropping his FREE Ibanze endorsement and taking on my guitars (with zero endorsement). Cool huh?

Whats even cooler, is something thats coming out BECAUSE of the recording... but, more on that later.

Anyway, the gear used:

Peavey ProFex II preamp, Ormsby Polka Dot (9-42's), straight to tape.

The patch had compression, Distortion, 3 band EQ, and a short delay. Drum machine, and Cort bass guitar.

File is 800kb

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/diary/Cus...n%20(64kps).mp3

The sound byte is called Lazy Train, because Graham was too lazy to read the tablature for the music (Crazy Train). However, considering he has only heard the ozzy osbourne album a couple times (and the last time was early eighties), and had never played a RR song, AND he only listened to the track FIVE TIMES (to learn the chords, solo, everything), i think he did a good job B) It was recorded as three takes, but im not sure if it was spliced together, or not. The entire process took about an hour and a half, including programming the drums and recording the bass track AND learning the song.

Makes me want a V now.

HA That the first thing I thought to myself When I saw this thing and now Iam Thinking up some idea's and plans. :D

Man rhoads I love your work It's so tight and clean

Just Deadly man realy!! I hope to be that good one day

Oh ya I realy like the one beside the V on the wall! OH SO SEXY :D

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/diary/Cus...19-1926_IMG.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! B)

haha, that one on the wall has been sitting around longer that the polka dot. September 2003 i started on that. First guitar with an Ormsby inlaid logo. Its a protype, but ive changed so many specs now, its no longer relevant, hence the reason its not finished. I did string it up and play it ages ago, when it was half lacquered. One day....

115-1532_IMG.jpg

115-1527_IMG.jpg

haha, that one on the wall has been sitting around longer that the polka dot. September 2003 i started on that. First guitar with an Ormsby inlaid logo. Its a protype, but ive changed so many specs now, its no longer relevant, hence the reason its not finished. I did string it up and play it ages ago, when it was half lacquered. One day...

Realy!! So how much would you want for it $$$ I may be willing to give up a lim or 2 HAHAHA :D

one more thing... where do you get poka dot stickers?

Hey bigd them arnt stickers :D they be painted on B)

http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/diary/Cus...18-1817_IMG.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

D, its actually laid out dot by dot, from laser cut stickers from one of those sign places. Then, once i had the dots laid out as i wanted them, i took the guitar into the sign place, and had a masking sheet cut to suit. I got 20 metres worth of it all up. Its low tack, and see through, so its real easy to work with. Its a 3M product.

Matt, email me if you want to talk prices, lets not do it on the forum.

Rhoads rulz!!

i love the fact that you kept pretty much exactly to the original design

right pickups, right type bridge... everything... i don't know how many

copies i've seen of the polka dot V that just has the wrong hardware

all together... like these on Roman's page

http://www.edromanguitars.com/rock/rhoads.htm

people love putting Floyd Rose's on them and then call them exact

copies..i don't think so... from my recollection..randy never had a floyd on any of his guitars

I wondered how that was done was searching on the net for some sort or polka dot pattern.... thats a lot of leg work to get polka dots, but very cool looking..

-Derek

This guitar has more than 200 hours invested in it. :D As late as five weeks ago, the dots were revised as new info and photos came to hand. EG: the left and right "sides" have totally different dot spacings and quantity, compared to each other, because thats what the original had! :D

The entire thing was designed from crappy photos, by relating unkown sizes (eg: body widths) to known sizes (eg: fret spacing). For example, id measure the width of the body in a photo, lets say its 4 1/2", and id measure that distance to see if any fret spacings lined up, eg: the 3rd to 19th might have been the same distance. B)

...and to think the newbs get all flustered over simple neck angle plans :D