Why Are You Here?

Dugz Ink

Why do you come to Project Guitar forum?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have started this because of something that happened on another forum.

I critiqued a Hip Hop song that was written by a 14 year old who lives in Queens. Imagine that: a 40-something Country songwriter offering advice to a teenage Hip Hop wanna-be. As strange as that might sound, he appreciated my advice, and has started sending PMs to me... asking for more advice.

I don't know what I'll accomplish on the forums that I have joined, but I thought I would start a poll and a thread... for all of the people who wander in here and spend their spare time adding their input to the collective knowledge.

What are we seeking?

Are we hoping to help others, the way that I have helped the kid I mentioned? Do we hope to make ourselves feel important by providng all of the "right" answers? Are we here simply for our own benefit? Or did we come here seeking help, only to find that WE were the ones who were providing that help to others?

I think I have found my answer. What is yours?

D~s

Uhh, .... :D all of the above, a little, maybe? There's that odd sense of belonging to a community, and this sure beats joining the Crips, and there's no denying that it feels good when you can answer somebody's important questions and solve problems, but that still oversimplifies it. For me, a lot of what makes this place special is the ability to get solid, specific information from experienced, talented individuals without having to spend hours in a library, or wasting days talking to people who have the skills you need but no interest in what you're trying to do. I'm constantly learning here, and if I can help somebody out in the process, it's the least I can do. I don't know that I'll ever be a world-class luthier, but I'm already a better guitar tech, and my skills can only improve by associating with talented builders, even if I never reach their level.

Wow, tough one, I would say 1, 3, 4 and 5.

1. I definitely didn't accomplish a lot since i'm only at my second build, but to be able to teach what I already know to beginners is a good start. The goal is to one day be able to give a lot more help than I can right now.

3, 4 and 5. Change "greatest in the world" to simply "great guitars" and that is the main reason why I came here and I still am here. This is the best place on the net to learn about guitar building and to get inspiration. I learned tons of techniques here that are not even in guitar building books yet. Once in a while you'll also find little jems here too, like for example a website dedicated to selling cheap inlays, or a simple jig that'll facilitate 80% of your neck work, ect...

I have been building/destroying guitars since I was 15 and got my first crappy Kent SG. I modded it to make it look/sound/play better. Look better mostly, HS garage band! Finally destroyed it, but learned a lot and I was infected with the passion.

Throughout the years I have been asked "why don't you just buy them?' or "why did you change it?". My wife asks "why do you need more tools! you have a hardware store in your shop!" and "you have a room full of guitars!"

Buying is not the point, construction is.

It is my passion. Like the perfect round of golf.

But, you guys know all about that.

As a new member, it is welcome to find a group that shares this passion.

In my short time here, I have found great tutorials and advice (more than I care to admit) that has me say "ah! yes, that is the right way to do it!"

To me it's almost like learning a secret.

Example:

Bursts have never been one of my strengths, and I have avoided doing them. Seeing some of the tutorials and examples I was excited to begin digging in and learning the correct method to do them. I am finally feeling a little more confident in doing them now. In fact, my six year old wants me to carriburst his bike!

I know I will never build my perfect guitar. Each one has a little good and bad. But I keep trying to make the scale move over to the good side a little more on each one.

But again, you guys know all about that.

that is why I'm here..

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Well, speaking as someone who joined the forums less that a week ago, I joined to get some good advice. And i have to admit, it's been incredible. All of my other interests (and believe me, there have been many) have been personal, but isolated. The thought that there is a community of genuinely dedicated amateurs/semi-professionals/professionals who all help each other out and have a bit of a laugh doing so gives me just that little bit more faith in humanity....or something

I decided to make my first guitar on a train in Belgium a few months back (god knows what i was doing there...) and i started having only checked out a few tutorials. Suddenly i needed help - and the forums here were so fantastic about it that i think that not only have i got the bug for building guitars - i finally found out why forums exist in the first place.

I'd like to express my thanks to all members (for existing), to the ones who have helped me so far (cos they've all been great), and to the guys who run this thing....brilliant!

I'll be around awhile i think...

I came here to learn. I am still learning more everyday. I think the idea behind the board was great, and I hope that it will continue to help beginners to advanced builders for years to come. If I can contribute and give back some of the help I recieved that would be great.

Actually- I am just here to steal ideas from Rhodes, and see if I can aquire a fraction of Jeremy's artistic ability over the net.

I first joined to get help with a few specific questions on my first build, but I've been browsing ever since, helping where I can, and trying to gather new concepts that can better the guitar market as a whole. Also, I'm looking for some really good wood.

Why am I here? (WOW! My head feels like a balloon at the moment , sick as a dawg) I checked off "other" because its something I can't nail down. A Little bit of everything, I guess, and I like associating with people who share a common interest. I've learned LOTS and hope that I may have helped some folks by relating my own experiences. I'm a little envious of you guys with the fully equipped shops. But at the same time I find my primitive resources more of a challenge. I seem to be averaging about a guitar a year now, didn't even expect to build a 2nd or even start a 3rd guitar. I guess this forum is what keeps things going. A long while back there was a thread that mentioned something about building a guitar with nothing but a sharpened spoon. I'm actually tempted to give it a whirl, just to see if I can! :D

Edited by Southpa

I came here along here a long time ago, hoping to start building a guitar, I never got around to it, but I have learned alot, I now read the forums everyday, yet hardly post, When I do post, I try and make it count :D

A long while back there was a thread that mentioned something about building a guitar with nothing but a sharpened spoon. I'm actually tempted to give it a whirl, just to see if I can!

he he...i also have given that thought...but i wanted to try it with that swiss army knife Kevan keeps bringing up

Wow, there is a lot I get from this forum. I have found this forum to really be all about sharing information (and ensuring it's accuracy). I really enjoy helping people out and that is a big motivation for me. I just feel really good about it and I like to give back as much I have learned from others along the way. When I started out I could have really used a place like this to bounce ideas off people. The feedback you get here is awesome. There are so many ideas expressed and everyone has a valid and unique sense of style and methodology. It's like a huge guitar building consulting group. Whenever I post something and ask for advice I get some and without fail I learn something new or get a perspective I didn't have before. That is also why I am here; to learn.

Why am I here? I just love guitars. Looking at them, holding them, playing them ... ahem.

I figure that even if I never build my "perfect" guitar, how much more fun could there be than messing around with your favorite thing, and talking about it with people who 'get it'?