Best Guitarist

Agent Jem

Who is your favourite guitarist?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='idch' date='Jun 29 2005, 03:47 AM']The best? Don't care...my favorite?

[right][snapback]203574[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Erghmmmmm favourite - the name (my name) might give a clue - Jimmy Page

Jimmy page may not be the best guitarist but he did and always will inspire soooo many people by creating (in my opinion) the best songs (remember he wrote most of the songs himself, so that makes him even better) out of any other band

i have every (i mean EVERY) single song/video that led zeppelin or jimmy page touring with other bands or him and plant (no quarter unledded) every did, played and covered - live, studio or whatever and jimmy page never ceases to amaze me in fact he doesnt even have to try lol.... even when he was touring with the black crowes that stuff is still awesome...... i like very single song that led zeppelin ever did except for about 4 and thats saying alot considering they produced around 80 or something songs (i think - ive got 180 different zeppelin songs not including dvds but most of them are other versions of a song being played live)

Jimmy page gave led zeppelin something that no other band in my opinion had - chemistry - you watch the led zeppelin DVD's and in just about any song especially dazed and confused, they just keep playing and they duel with eachother and so many other little things.

my favourite zeppelin songs
1 - Bring it on home
2 - When the levee breaks
3 - Gallows Pole

as you can tell - i like Jimmy Page :D

:D

I wanted to learn to play guitar so I could play Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs.
Page is funny in that he seems kinda sloppy to me but it's that sloppiness and out-of-timeness in all the right places (99% of the time) that makes me like his playing.
but!...
after I heard SRV I was inspired to really pick up the guitar and (attempt to) learn to express myself with it.
Just raw emotion straight through him and out his guitar.
Neither player is technically advanced, just fun to listen to.
Same with Clapton and Gilmour.
I like Satriani alot because he seems to blend technical and emotional playing well.
Some of his songs have so-so rythm parts and weak sounding drums, IMO.
I'd love to see Satriani find a band with the chemistry that LedZep had!
and Hendrix, well...it's Jimi! what else can I say? :D
:D

• 1 year later...

I played with Stevie in 1976, Then, I was a harmonica player. He was young an crazy as I was. He was raised in Oak Cliff, then was in Mesquite. before Austin We had some good times. Drank alot of MD2020. I saw Jimmie in 68 what a player! I voted for Jimmie as he was so out of the box. Stevie was a great player and a friend. Best Drummer is my friend Buddy Miles. He moved recently and now I have no one to beat in poker LOL:) He used to live down the street.
He had this guitar that was Jimmies. What a sound!!!!! Only thing was it was setup for a lefty, so was Buddy a lefty(he's a player too!)The Buddy Miles Express. LOL:))
Mike

• 1 month later...

MiKro, that is amazingly awesome. Now as for my favorite guitarist I would have to say Robert Fripp. He is by far the most technically perfect as well as incredibly creative and different. Listen to lots of King Crimson stuff and you will hopefully see what I mean, especially listen to fracture. Contrary to what my friends thought in the parts that are just guitar it is one guitar not two. :D

All of the guitarist listed are great guitar players and I could not pick one to be the best. To me there is no best guitar player. A lot depends on the mood one is in. I listen to all of them regulary but I also listen to Joe Bonamassa, Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh, Lindsey Buckingham, ... etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hendrix in my opinion is extremely overrated. Yes he was very influential, but in my opinion, had very little style and technical skill. Yes he put "soul" into his music, but its just like it was mostly slop and noise.

Of the mentioned, SRV is probably the most soulful player, but EVH probably has the most style and skill combined.

There are too many means of rating guitarists, so its really not a fair question.

[quote name='Agent Jem' post='11716' date='Jun 27 2003, 06:43 AM']
These are all my favourites
[/quote]
WHO voted for GEorge Harrison? Paul McCartney is a better guitarist!

There are many great guitarists, but for an era 60's=Hendrix
70's/80's=Halen

Jimmy Page was a excellent studio guitarist of the 60's/70's not very good live. Van Halen could play live drunk better than him. :D

Edited by Stiffy

Picking out of that line up is really hard. They are all great. My personal fave isn't listed. He's a bit less popular, and often (mistakenly) considered derivative, but I'd go with Robin Trower. He's way cool. BUt then, I'm an old fart, and I don't even know who Trey Azogthoth is!

And what about Jerry Cantrell?? :D

Oh by the way, Page was very good live. Considering that he was out there by himself, and the albums had many guitar parts on them, it's not fair to compare his studio work with his live stuff. :D

[quote name='palecriminal' post='300460' date='Nov 25 2006, 10:30 AM']
Oh by the way, Page was very good live. Considering that he was out there by himself, and the albums had many guitar parts on them, it's not fair to compare his studio work with his live stuff. :D
[/quote]Well Alex Lifeson, Hendrix and Iommi didn't have a problem. Otherwise he should of gotten a additional guitarist to tour with him.

Face it Page just was not good live.

[quote name='Stiffy' post='300405' date='Nov 25 2006, 01:06 AM']
[quote name='Agent Jem' post='11716' date='Jun 27 2003, 06:43 AM']
These are all my favourites
[/quote]
WHO voted for GEorge Harrison? Paul McCartney is a better guitarist!

There are many great guitarists, but for an era 60's=Hendrix
70's/80's=Halen

Jimmy Page was a excellent studio guitarist of the 60's/70's not very good live. Van Halen could play live drunk better than him. :D
[/quote]
baah...slash could play even more drunk than anyone..