Wood For Sale.

fryovanni

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man.. i'm going to have to get busy to keep up with you guys B)

Hey man, you're way ahead of me. :D I buy the wood, but I haven't done a thing with it, yet! It's just sitting there in the garage. :D

I haven't had time to do get started. I guess this means I have more money than time! :D

Rich,

Got the wood today.  It's beautiful.

Thanks.

uhhhhh huhuhuhuhuhuh you said wood... was it hard?

Yes folks.. Beavis has entered the thread.. :D

I just ordered my next shipment.. So i'll start stockpiling while I wait for the first to get done :D One of these days i'll get my arse in gear and take some pics and get the frist one done..

Rich,

Got the wood today.  It's beautiful.

Thanks.

uhhhhh huhuhuhuhuhuh you said wood... was it hard?

Yes folks.. Beavis has entered the thread.. :D

I just ordered my next shipment.. So i'll start stockpiling while I wait for the first to get done B) One of these days i'll get my arse in gear and take some pics and get the frist one done..

i believe you meant butthead :D

I thought I would offer up some of my stockpile of lumber. I am not sure if I will get a huge responce, or if it will take up too much of my time. So this may be a very short lived project. I will be adding more wood ( including  tops, soundboards, acoustic sets etc...) as I make time to get pictures and info put together. I am also going to through out an offer to help out with drawings (CAD), and plot full size sheets, cost will just be based on what you need. Please don't ask me to plot someone else's design without their permission though. Take a look at the photo album below to see what I have up right now, I will add to it as I go. If you see something you like PM or E-mail me.

Shipping charges will be actual, and your choice of carrier. I will prefer to use Pay Pal as much as possible.

Sorry if using a photo album makes browsing difficult. Maybe I will put together a web page if I keep it going for a while.

Wood for Sale.

Peace, Rich

Hi Rich,

Are you accepting international orders? I'm from Spain

in Europe, and I would like to buy mahogany, pau ferro

and flame maple for my next project and I've seen your

wonderful woods :-)

Thanks

Jorge,

I don't have a problem with International orders. I would just caution you that shipping can be expensive. I would recommend you check locally to try to get the best price on common woods. If it is a unique piece that you need. We could figure out shipping to see how much it would be.

Peace, Rich

Jorge,

I don't have a problem with International orders. I would just caution you that shipping can be expensive. I would recommend you check locally to try to get the best price on common woods. If it is a unique piece that you need. We could figure out shipping to see how much it would be. 

Peace, Rich

Ok, thanks.

I know that i can get hard mapple locally but the flamed or quilt maple is not

available. I'm interested in your top set 08-08-06 of flamed or 08-11-04 of quilted.

Could you find out how much will be to send it to spain ?

Thanks you very much!

Jorge

Hey Fryovanni, I was wondering the thickness on your fretboards. Are they all the same or do they vary? Do you ever get any cocobolo in for fretboards possibly? Thanks for you time and help! Jason

JM- I have been trying to keep the fretboards .25" unless someone asks for something else. As for Cocobolo. I could certainly put some up, but Zircote not withstanding I haven't noticed much interest in fretboards. I will put some up. PM me if you need a thicker board.

MJ- Bubinga, Have some. There was a pile of highly figured stuff that hit the market not long ago. it seems to have thinned out though exept for some very expensive pieces. As for Chechen, I am not very familiar with it. I have access to it. Really if you are looking for something and shoot me an Email or PM. You will really help me to figure out what others may also be looking for. I will try my best to accomodate your requests, or recommend a dealer that has what you need.

Thanks for responding!!!

Peace, Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy lately, but was finally able to get some more stuff added. I have added some Cocobolo fretboards (some quatersawn and some figured flat sawn), Larger Gaboon fretboards for 4,5,&6 string bass, Honduran Rosewood fretboards, Zircote fretboards, a variety of headstock veneers, Basswood body blanks, Quilted Maple acoustics sets, Gaboon bridge blanks, Gaboon fingerboards for smaller instruments (Mandolin), thicker 2-7/8" quartersaw neck blanks, 2-7/8"x5" African Mahogany neck blanks.

I have also got my fretting set up up to speed and am able to offer fret slotting for five dollers a board (you tell me what scale you want, no set up fee).

I will be adding laminated neck blanks soon, if you would like a custom blank let me know. I am building my stock of strips and stringers. I also hope to have Spruce and Western Cedar sound boards up shortly. Lots of work to do, little time to do it in.

Peace Everyone!

Rich

Fryovanni,

Wow since the last time I saw your woods for sale there have been some EPIC pieces put up. The tops are just beautiful! I really like a few of them but I have a good wood store and they have a lot of all the species of maple, and actually mostly everything. But some species are extremely expensive and some are super cheap. It seems to me depending where you live the demand really varies for certain woods, causing drastic price variances.

I have most of the wood I need for this project, but I might grab one of those cocobolo fretboards. I've seen a lot of it in person and the stuff seems absolutely perfect for fretboards and anything else. The colors are amazing, it is very hard, and looks like it will be very smooth and age well.

At this time I'm not quite ready to purchase one, but with a little time and some progress on my project I will more than likely nab one of them. Hopefully my favorite ones won't be bought up, but no worries you really don't have any ordinary pieces of anything, so when I'm ready I know you will have me covered.

Thanks for all your help, the .25 thickness sounds about right I don't think I will need anything different. I will be contacting you soon via PM as soon as I need the fretboard. Thanks. Jason

Thanks for the message Jason,

I agree with you about the wood. Seems like different species are more available in certain areas. I am always amazed by pricing and grading of Maples. There doesn't seem to be any set in stone rules as far as pricing. I have seen boards that have several "blocks" worth of material. The value of each 20+" can vary from $25 to $300 depending on how it looks. Seems kinda crazy some times. I look at a lot of material and do my best to hand select pieces that are priced reasonable and are good quality. How efficient a board is really important because I can sell it for less if it is as close to 100% usable as possible. I find maybe 1 in 50 boards that is worth purchasing. Hopefully by shopping smart I can add value to what I offer.

As far as that Cocobolo goes. It ages very well. It was sanded about 48 hrs. before I took the pictures. It will develop more reds in the next week or two. I am kinda torn between the looks of flatsawn figure and the quartersawns performance as a fretboard. They all have great color though. I can't wait to get some Cocobolo acoustic sets up ( I love the way it looks bookmatched).

Peace, Rich

fryovanni,

you have really nice stuff. i sent you an e-mail to check on how to order. i bought a body to refurbish and wanted to turn it into a semi hollow body with a flame maple top. i got my eye on a piece you have posted. let me know. i'm dying to get a project posting started on the site.

Hey Rich,

I read your latest response a day or two ago and was thinking about what you would rather have the flatsawn or quarter sawn for a fretboard, and your right it's a very hard decision. The flatsawn really has some nice figure and would stand out much more than the quarter sawn, but it might take away from a really nice top, also the quarter sawn is what most people would look for in a fretboard, the grain would line up real well once the guitar is strung up, but it might lack some of the nice colors.

I had a beautiful thought the other day as well. It came to me after I got through reading that you were going to start doing laminate necks(which is a great idea). If someone didn't mind a little weight in the neck, do a 3 or 5 piece cocobolo neck with the outer two pieces being flatsawn for the beautiful figure, then the middle piece quarter sawn for strength and contrast with the flatsawn and add a couple strips of hard maple between the cocobolo and man I think that would be a wicked looking neck.

You're right about the maple too, it by far varies more than any other wood. Sometime I'll glance through the regular hard maple and find a figured section on a plank enough for a neck, and have the guy chop it up for me and he acts upset like he missed that piece and I'm ripping him off! It's actually funny when this happens and I walk out with a big smile on my face. Anyways thank for doing us all this service, it's always nice to buy from someone that already know what you are looking for and has it already cut to perfect size and shape, which if you don't have the tools can set you back $500-$1000 in necessay equipment. Thanks Rich! Jason

Jason,

With the right pieces that could make for an interesting neck, although I am not sure how much of a difference it would make. If you used quarter sawn- the sides of the neck would different (more like flat to quarter)anyway. Quatersawn does have great color it just lacks the interesting grain patterns. Laminates do open a lot of options for color and texture.

Looking around at your local dealers is great. You are really edjucating yourself on how to read wood and what different woods sound like if you like thumping around. I think it is really important to get that hands on experience, because too many people just read about the differences and assume it is always true of every piece. Every hunk of wood is a bit unique. I really like finding new types of wood that others are not using but sound great (some of which are very inexpensive).

Best of luck with the hunting!

Peace, Rich