Basically A Poll

Which bridge would you prefer, and why. It'll be a carved-top, PRS style as I mentioned in my other topic(s). 25" scale lenght (doesnt really matter) mahogany base, curly maple top, maple neck, hopefully nice

Bridge 1: http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/br...idges_gotoh_510

Bridge 2:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp..._Tailpiece.html

I think that's what I've narrowed it down to. I want a bridge/tailpiece, and they're similar in price, money does not matter. Why is the one you choose better? If there's a better bridge/tailpiece, tell me!

Thanks

-Matt

Edited by Roadhouse Blues

Which bridge would you prefer, and why.  It'll be a carved-top, PRS style as I mentioned in my other topic(s).  25" scale lenght (doesnt really matter) mahogany base, curly maple top, maple neck, hopefully nice

Have a look at the TonePros AVT 2 also (http://www.tonepros.com/Products.htm) if you want a combined TOM/tailpiece. They have beautifully made products with exceptionally good customer service.

BTW, why do you want a combined bridge/tailpiece? Is it an issue of sound, or aesthetics? Have you considered a TOM bridge with strings through body? That combination should give you more of the character of the wood than the combined bridge/tailpiece like the Gotoh 510 or AVT2.

Regards,

Brian.

I just bought a gold version of the 510 from Warmoth and have to say it's very nice. I also considered a TOM and the Schaller combo, but the body design I am working with is a slightly smaller size and I have less room to play with. So I wanted a one piece unit. Also, the 510 is very nice for palm muting. I personally find the TOM a little harder to rest my hand on.

KOMODO :D

Which bridge would you prefer, and why.  It'll be a carved-top, PRS style as I mentioned in my other topic(s).  25" scale lenght (doesnt really matter) mahogany base, curly maple top, maple neck, hopefully nice

Have a look at the TonePros AVT 2 also (http://www.tonepros.com/Products.htm) if you want a combined TOM/tailpiece. They have beautifully made products with exceptionally good customer service.

BTW, why do you want a combined bridge/tailpiece? Is it an issue of sound, or aesthetics? Have you considered a TOM bridge with strings through body? That combination should give you more of the character of the wood than the combined bridge/tailpiece like the Gotoh 510 or AVT2.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian,

I think it would be easier to use a TOM bridge/tailpiece rather than the two seperate just because it would be an easy one-piece. Also, it would complete the PRS-like guitar. I guess I'm also avoiding the seperate two because I really don't know much about using TOM brdiges / tailpieces seperately (i only have a strat), and I didn't really think of tone. How much better do you think tone would be if I bought a TOM bridge and a tailpiece seperately than with one of my suggestions, or the one you suggested?? thanks everyone.

-Matt

BTW- idch- I don't wanna spend that much money on the hipshot baby grand- I'm a little cheap :D

BTW- idch- I don't wanna spend that much money on the hipshot baby grand- I'm a little cheap  :D

Yeah, amazing how much some of these parts cost...depends on how many guitars you're planning on building though. If you're just doing one or two, you might as well go for a hot rod.

I like the idea of the Tone Pros too, but they're just as expensive.

But I've read somewhere that a big part of the tone of an Les Paul Jr. comes from that compensated wraparound bridge....

I'll go up to about $100, but the hipshot may be a little too much for me to handle! I think I may go for the tonepros or the warmoth bridge/tailpiece. Still time to decide before I get to that part of my building. Thanks, keep commenting!

-Matt

The Hipshot BG is NOT expensive. It has everything you need built in and wholsales for about $90.00. What do you want? I just don't think it is a very cool bridge. In gold, it might have some looks but it is just a little lame, for me. Who makes those flamed TOM bridges? I think those might have some potential, if they are any good. You have to remember the source of this opinion. I don't like pickguards, either. Shields up! IMHO

Stewmac has an LP Jr. style bridge for $20!  I'm not sure how good quality it is, but it is cheap!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...ior_Bridge.html

only problem is that it is intonated for 4 wound 2 plain strings, not the standard 3w 3p.

i think its guitarpartsusa.com that has that in the 3w 3p setup

[

only problem is that it is intonated for 4 wound 2 plain strings, not the standard 3w 3p.

Huh? Where do you get that? Is this because back in the 50s they didn't have a plain G string?

I have one of these lying around...took it off in favor of a badass. Now I'm reading that this bridge is important to the sound of an LP Jr.

I'm thinking of going for one of these (my next project is going to be a mongrel LP Jr. type): Wilkinson compensated

Or better yet, another Wilkinson

Seems to make more sense --and not all that much more expensive than StewMac's part.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but look at the pic of the bridge, the integrated compensation is slanted for 4 strings, then cuts back for the b and e. the g will have incorrect intonation unless your guitar is all raucus, or you have a wound g. for sets of 3 wound 3 plain the g needs to have the saddle back from the d, not infront of the d(sorry not sure of best way to say it). this is because when the guitars that used it were made, the only readily available strings(without mixing in some banjo strings were quite heavy.

My vote is for the Gotoh 510. I used one of those on a friends warmoth guitar and it had quite a nice feel to it, and it looked good on his guitar too (carved top soloist). Here is a shot of a different carved top soloist with the 510 from the warmoth gallery too: http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/Images/Solo...sonfrench2m.jpg

- Dan

keep in mind that a one piece has a tendency to want to tip forward toward the neck...if the studs are not a super tight fit with the bridge,then it can cause major rattling and intonation problems,and you will have to shim under the bridge to keep it from tipping

The Hot Rod Drop Top Convertible is what I wanted for the longest time, it's the last few on the link. It is a simple design and looks decent. Although I don't know if I want it anymore, I might just put one on my Ibanez so I can get rid of the tremelo and the wood I use to block it. It will take some moding though. I know someone also mentioned the flamed bridges somewhere, this place has some. Not my bag. Jason

Custom Shop Parts

Edited by jmrentis

I'm using the Hipshot BabyGrand on my loooong project and I love it!

It has allen screws to keep the posts from tipping.

I have been playing on it for about 2 months now. It's great even though I've been a strat player for a long time.

I must admit that I don't know what the tone is since I don't have the pups in it yet.

My opinion is only based on playability and sound acoustically.

It feels rock solid and comfortable and I'm surprised at how loud and articulate this thing is unplugged compared to my strats and I love the look.

Great guys, I just got back from vacation, and I'm glad to get so much help from this forum! Well I may go with the Gotoh 510, but Brian D got me thinking about a stop tail piece and TOM seperate.... decisions, decisions. Well I'm starting the project this week and I have another month or so before I'll NEED the bridge, so I'll be doing more research, and tell me your favorite TOM and stop tailpieces please!

I need to stop thanking you so much, but thanks again haha,

Matt

tone pros...no doubt.the differences are worth the extra $

Wes, do you mean the tone pros wrap around better than tone-pros TOM with strings through body, or better than other brands wrap around?

If the latter, which do you think is better between the wrap-around vs strings through body?

Cheers,

Brian.