Well I know I havn't posted in awhile but I decided you guys would be the first to here about this...I had a huge opportunity building guitars this summer and it got blown away because my "source" screwed up by being slow on phone calls. My best friends, moms, boyfriends, cousin, Jack Briggs, owns a guitar company called Briggs guitars. If any of you got the last Vintage Guitar magazine, there was an article for this guitars in there. So he said I could go down there, he'll teach me everything I don't know, how he does things and pretty much everything he knowns so I could build his guitars for the summer, but because his cousin, Steve Briggs took too long with phone calls and emails towards him Jack said "its too late in the summer and I just got about 4 orders and he would be too busy to teach"...hmm this sucks haha...I already took off work and said bye to everyone to find out that idea just died in my face. Well he said when hes not as busy I can come down there and help. Luckily I homeschool so maybe I can go there in the fall when he was time. Well didnt mean to dump on you guys but just wanted to show what was up.

His site is

http://www.briggsguitars.com/swf/index.html

Guest gsrguitars
If you still need someone to teach you, i suggest you change your username so it is less likely to decieve people into thinking you're a pro.

Sorry Rhoads, you're just too stuck up. You involved yourself on a similar thread with litchfield. Stop playing high and mighty and start helping.... it's a project site as I recall, so assuming pro is incorrect.

You may be a pro, but your behaviour is stuck up to say the least - you're nothing special, stop acting it.

Cheers,

Gary

Guest gsrguitars
shut up gsr troll

Couldn't help yourself huh? Nice edit afterwards though. I figured Rhoads was out of line, as is common. There's no need for this guy to change his user name.

Your user name is appropriate - you're just a kid who consistently writes "I agree with Wes".

Go figure,

Gary

WOW Man He does Nice Work!! Im Glade For Ya man This could be A great opportunity for you, I hope It all work's out

Keep on Buging Him!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hmmm. Wes deleted his post, interesting.

yes i did...it was only to see if it took this time,which it did...it was not meant to tease

keep it up,you are heading for an ip ban

oh...and if you do log in again under yet another name and read this,be aware that i keep a full account of what i do in the mod section.i hide nothing,regardless of what you seem to think.if i am a jerk,then be assured that all of the other mods and admins know it

OHH man I like his stuff, and really hope for your sake you get to go at least for a little bit and learn the process, it would be a tremendous learning experience for anyone I think. And he seems to use quite a bit of cocobolo for his fretboards, my favorite wood right now, but I like the flatsawn more just for the figure, its a little more exciting for me instead of quatersawn. Good luck with the trip, I hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes! Jason

Yeah definitely, it would be the best learning and training experience of a lifetime. Also he said that Roberto Venn school was a waste of money which saves me some money and time. He said that its just basic woodworking skills and a mediocre business class. Maybe by late august I can go out there and work for him fulltime hehehe thatd be sweet.

For everyone else thats just tearing eachother up, this is flat out stupid. Making usernames to bash the mods. Do something with your time. One of the main reasons why I'm barely on this site anymore is because I don't find advice here anymore, its just people that try to get advice than get screwed with junk on their thread because somebody they didnt like posted in the thread. Its trash, if you dont like somebody keep it to yourself instead of trashing peoples threads like its all OK. The mods do their best and if they act "mean" towards you, get over it. They're probably just pissed because they have to deal with a bunch of people like you.

For everyone else thats just tearing eachother up, this is flat out stupid. Making usernames to bash the mods. Do something with your time. One of the main reasons why I'm barely on this site anymore is because I don't find advice here anymore, its just people that try to get advice than get screwed with junk on their thread because somebody they didnt like posted in the thread. Its trash, if you dont like somebody keep it to yourself instead of trashing peoples threads like its all OK. The mods do their best and if they act "mean" towards you, get over it. They're probably just pissed because they have to deal with a bunch of people like you.

Well there is one less person here to do that now. I tried to talk to you and treat you like an adult Gary (gsrguitars) but you continue to act like a little kid. All 5 of your usernames are disabled and your IP will be banned from this site as soon as we mod's get a hold of admin. I hope you enjoyed our visit to our site. You are NOT welcome back.

Now let's get back to the decent place we were a few weeks ago. I don't have enough spare time to do this when it's 75 degrees out and the sun is shining!!

Yeah definitely, it would be the best learning and training experience of a lifetime. Also he said that Roberto Venn school was a waste of money which saves me some money and time. He said that its just basic woodworking skills and a mediocre business class. Maybe by late august I can go out there and work for him fulltime hehehe thatd be sweet.

Did he know of any other schools or any other ways of becoming proficient at luthiery that are worth checking out? I am and will be doing this as hobby for a long time to come but some proper training/schooling would be fun to me and make expressing myself through guitar building that much easier. If at some point I feel that I could benefit from building as a business without sacrificing my art or name, and still have enough time to enjoy life I would do so.

I realized something yesterday, I love music, making music, guitars, and building guitars, but I am not building guitars to have another guitar to play, I am doing it because I seem to love the creating aspect of luthiery. Of course I am going to love the guitars I build thats a given but I think the process is going to be more enjoyable to me than the finished product. I have played guitar for 10 years on and off, unfortunately I only have minimal schooling, but I am not after fame so I enjoy just playing alone or with friends.

Thats why I like this site so much, there are a lot of people that just love guitars and building guitars, and they have so much knowledge here that I have learned, am still learning and will always be learning. I couldn't imagine having an opportunity such as the one you have xebryusguitars, that is the coolest thing I have ever heard of and I'm sure after you have learned as much as you can from him, you will pass on all that you can to the rest of us, thats just how cool this site is. You get the experience and knowledge from so many people that have honed their skills to almost perfection and we get to apply that to ourselves to increase our own skills and knowledge.

Thanks to all of you that help the others out, I will convey my experiences and knowledge as I build them up to the folks that are just starting out. Also the biggest thanks to Brian for starting this wonderful spot on the web and thanks to all the mods/admin for making it what it is, a clean, great, information filled site that is ran with precision. Without the mods/admin doing what they do, this would be like all the rest of the web, endless crap! like 97% junk with a sprinkling of information at 3%. So keep up the good work, I can imagine that it is difficult to do what you do and be considered badguys, but that couldn't be further from the truth, as I know first hand in the short time I've been here, I have been treated great and with respect. So again THANKS! You guys rock!

Please xebryusguitars take notes and stuff when you go, so you can school us when you get back!LOL Is his place like a school or is it just a shop that he works out of? Will you be staying at a hotel or at his place or how will that work. Maybe you should save up and have him help you to build a custom guitar for yourself, while your there. That way you are learning to build and getting a custom Briggs guitar at the same time! That would be cool! Good luck and keep after him, so you can go! Jason

Hey, I just received the new Guitar Player issue in the mail yesterday. Dan Erlewine has started a new column where he's going to feature one of his apprentices performing some type of mod or repair work every month. If you don't mind a move from Maryland to Ohio, maybe we could see you in Guitar Player someday?

BTW, I want to apologize to the mods for my behavior over the past few days. My troll-radar was pinging heavily with "gsrguitars" and I got so wrapped up in outing him for a troll that I broke the forum rules and went too far. I wonder if he's even associated with that outfit. If anyone needs a read-only break for a few weeks, it's me because my bar exam is coming up on the 26th and 27th and I shouldn't be on the web at all, much less posting my yammerings and manifestos on here. We'll see if I can keep it under control without having to resort to that.

Also he said that Roberto Venn school was a waste of money which saves me some money and time. He said that its just basic woodworking skills and a mediocre business class.

That was surprizing to read. I've read alot of reference to that school when people ask what the good guitar building schools are.

I personally think apprenticing with a pro luthier is one of the best ways to learn this craft. The schools can teach you alot of stuff, but what they don't teach you is experience. I worked for a small time guy a few years ago, not apprenticing, just a third set of hands, but even so I learned SOOOOOO much, and it was a very valuable experience. I hope it works out for you in the end! :D

Hey, I just received the new Guitar Player issue in the mail yesterday. Dan Erlewine has started a new column where he's going to feature one of his apprentices performing some type of mod or repair work every month. If you don't mind a move from Maryland to Ohio, maybe we could see you in Guitar Player someday?

Why did you have to tell me that, I though I had watched or read everything Dan has put out, now I'm going to have to subscribe to Guitar Player again. lol

Well thank you jmrentis for those words. Im just happy to know I have this opportunity arrising even though it is delayed. Definitely by the end of the year I would have gone down there. He works out of his shop in his basement, he said for living purposes I would live with him at his house. You can see some of the process here

http://www.steelbender.com/spotlightbriggs.html

Check out that piece of maple...insane stuff.

Hopefully I get to call him after work about when the soonest I could possibly come down there is.

Well thank you jmrentis for those words. Im just happy to know I have this opportunity arrising even though it is delayed. Definitely by the end of the year I would have gone down there. He works out of his shop in his basement, he said for living purposes I would live with him at his house. You can see some of the process here

http://www.steelbender.com/spotlightbriggs.html

Check out that piece of maple...insane stuff.

Hopefully I get to call him after work about when the soonest I could possibly come down there is.

WOW! Do you know what kind of paint he sprays? His gun's look pretty small too.

Watching the video's are also cool. He's got great pitch(like when the cell phone rang he knew the key it was in lol) and he seems like he's got a good sense of humor. I would bug the $h!t out of him too get a job with him if I were you :D

Edited by AlGeeEater