The 30-day 5a Quilt Tele

Drak

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, Drak, when I was in your lovely state (in a town that starts with 'A' and ends with 'nnapolis'), I had the best crab soup, and perhaps the best food substance I have ever experienced at a little place called Buddy's Crab and Ribs. Is all the food in your area that good?! :DB)

On topic, though, I love the idea for this buildoff. Keep in mind that voting begins before the end of the month (on the 23rd? I'm really not sure on this one!), so good luck!

As for the finish, a nice tiger's eye finish would be stunning. However, I'm sure that whatever you end up with will be great.

Good luck! :D

And why a stupid pic of the scrap pieces????

It's called PRACTICING ON SCRAP YOU SNAPPERHEADS!!!!! SAVE THOSE SCRAP PIECES AND TRY YOUR COLORS ON THEM FIRST, BECAUSE DRAK DOES IT!!!

:D:DB)

I don't ALWAYS do this, but with veneer, you ain't got many shots at the gold ring, so I will glue these pieces down to a piece of plywood or something to get my colors down before I ever aim a gun at the body.

RearVeneer3Scraps.jpg

Now, I have carefully traced out the pattern of the rear cover, and carefully cut it out with a sharp utility knife.

This piece will be glued to a 1/4" piece of scrap wood I have lying about, it will be returned to the body later on.

RearVeneer5.jpg

And here, the rear of the body.

You might think these pics are superfluous, but your not reading the whole story they have to tell.

The placement of the rear cover cutout on the veneer was very carefully figured out beforehand, that's why the tracing of the body shape is on the veneer to begin with, so I could place the correct cover location.

Then, I needed to trace that over to the rear of the body, so when I glue the rear veneer on, it is placed perfectly where I want it to be.

You can't see it, but I have lined up the bottom veneer to be in -perfect- centerline harmony with the top also. Everything has to be planned and plotted out beforehand, and when you go to the glueup, it had better get glued down exactly where it's supposed to be, or else! :D

PS, both veneers are on and drying now, and they came out great, the rear is perfectly located directly above this marker, exactly where it's supposed to be. All is well for the time being, mkore pics tomorrow, where all the routing will take place.

So what do you think of the figure of the veneer?

You think it looks pretty damn similar to BigD's toppuh?

RearVeneer6.jpg

The guitars looking good Drak, It's great to see someone who actually cares that the veneer is centered correctly.. lol Attention to detail.. you know that's what is wrong with a lot of hobby builders; they run into trouble and tend to say, "that's good enough", when they should have planned ahead and not settled for anything less than the best they can do.

Flawless work as usual Drak.. I'll be checking up on this thread to see how it turns out...

Here is the rear veneer, I've recut the join lines straight with a 4' rule, ready to tape.

RearVeneer1.jpg

Drak? Why did you position the outline of the body on the veneer like this. On the posted pic I spot a little black spot in the veneer, near the back of the lower horn......

Moving the outline a little to the north, would have prevented the little black pot to appear in the guitar. Or will this spot disappear when staining top???

Edited by RGGR

I thought you mentioned something about a handicap and then you pull this out!?!

Well, the entire reason behind the Tele buildoff was that the veneer I had bought looked so much like Derek's top, enough to call them a match for competition's sake, that we were both presented with a piece of figured Maple wood of the same quality/figure, so the figure of the veneer drove the decision to do this whole rushed 30-day thing, that it was almost identical to Derek's top, and thus, it was an even match, the only -edge- we had was our individual finishing abilities, and that was what the competition was about to begin with.

I positioned the body to the quilt and where I wanted the figure to fall on the body, and yes, the spot will be covered up with the dark edge-burst. :D

I ordered the Glendale bridges yesterday, and the guitar is now ready for all the routing that will happen tonight.

The weather for this weekend is supposed to be -perfect- for shooting, so no slipups between now and then, that is my window of opportunity that cannot be missed if this whoile thing is to come off in time!

...gotta get that headstock veneer on too...

Well, the entire reason behind the Tele buildoff was that the veneer I had bought looked so much like Derek's top, enough to call them a match for competition's sake, that we were both presented with a piece of figured Maple wood of the same quality/figure, so the figure of the veneer drove the decision to do this whole rushed 30-day thing, that it was almost identical to Derek's top, and thus, it was an even match, the only -edge- we had was our individual finishing abilities, and that was what the competition was about to begin with.

I know. I was merely commenting on the intensity of that maple. Competition or not it gives you an edge. It is a stunning and beautiful figure.

Looking forward to the next updates!

Edited by Myka Guitars

Shhhh.  :D

I just came home for lunch and routed the final body shape and the neck pocket, pics to follow later today, and more routing tonight!

Dammit David, you have given Derek enough reason to cry foul now! 

B)  :D  :D

That's great. I don't know how many times I've gone back to work with sawdust in my hair.