Super Thin Maple Wonder!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I diddn't get to do any work yester day because I was at a concert (really cool :D ) but today I drilled all the holes for the hardware and test fitted all the hardware. With everything in it, it weighs about 4.3 pounds and balances perfectly. B)

I also sanded, wetted the grain, and sanded again. So first thing tomorow morning I start staining it.

How long should I wait after I stain it to start shooting clear? I've heard 24 hours is best but a couple of hours will do. Any thoughts on that? I've never done any staining before as all my previous projects were natural wood.

BTW this guitar feels really good to play. It feels great sitting and standing and is nice and light. I can't wait to string er up and play it :D

I was worried about it not balancing correctly because the body is so light but it balances just fine. :D

I'll post pics after I stain and again after I shoot a few clear coats.

Edited by Godin SD

Hey Godin,

I've been following this thread closely, I really like this guitar.

Could you clear up the "neck through" part of your guitar for me? Your first post sounds like you were going to make a standard neck through with wings. The pictures and the posts after that make it sound like you have routed a channel on the back of a solid body and glued in the neck.

Did you:

a) Make a neck through with wings and glue on a quilted maple cap. If so, how thick is your cap. I guess 1/4" is probably the standard.

or

:D Make a solid body and then route out a channel in the back to accept the neck. If so, did you have to route the top of the neck wood to make sure that the fretboard was high enough above the top?

Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures rolling in!

Mike

Make a solid body and then route out a channel in the back to accept the neck. If so, did you have to route the top of the neck wood to make sure that the fretboard was high enough above the top?

Yes I did that. I routed so that there is only 1/8" or so of maple left on top of the neck.

Yes I had to rout the top of the neck so the fingerboard is high enough off the top. I already did all the hardware fitting and the string path is correct and I can adjust the action just fine where everything is.

I have started the staining prcess. Man it's hard on the arms to sand back the black on a whole guitar :D

Edited by Godin SD

Sweeeeeeeet

126.jpg

(thats with no clear on)

Man I love the way this peice os book matched. It's like perfectly identical and the quilt linees meet up perfectly in the center. :D

Purdy nice color eh? Now THATS what I think a tiger eye should look like :DB):D

I will start putting on clear today. I'm hoping to get it done by the 25th.

PS, sorry for the back to back post but I thought this was a big enough update to post again.

Edited by Godin SD

Yes Sir!!

You can see the color came right back into the stain after the first few coats of clear. I usually put on my first 3 coats or so REALLY heavy to seal the grain and so I can sand that and make a perfectly flat surface for the top coats to adhere to.

I'll probably do two or three more heavy coats than let it dry and sand it flat tomorrow. Than a couple of cans later with real thin coats and it will be looking sweet.

127.jpg

mmm gotta love that orange peel :D:D This ones going to be a butt to sand out but it's soooo gonna be worth it. Thats not really what it looks like in real life. I will try to get some real good pics showing off the real color of it. This is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in real life (Not in a photo and not on the web) Most deffinitly my favrite color ever! I will be doing again sometime B)

Edited by Godin SD

Great color. Most of the discolorations that were on the wood are unnoticable now.

You're using spray cans for that? It seems like you could avoid getting so much orange peel. You should seriously consider buying a compressor and spray gun; it's well worth it. I doubt I get a tenth of that much orange peel.

peace,

russ

If I had the money I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm trying to sell my Godin and takamine right now to finance my hobby so I can get some more stuff. Gun and compressor are first on my list.

It takes a good four hours of sanding but eventually I can get it all out.

Here is the last Wenge one reflecting my walls so you can't see very well but you get the picture...

128.jpg

My mom says I have to finish the 4 guitars I'm working on now before she will buy me more wood :D

Guess I'd better get cracking! :D

Edited by Godin SD

The pickup rout is 5/8" deep. It just fits a seymour duncan full shred (much skinner than other humbuckers) with just under 1/4" protruding above the top. I could have gone deeper but I calculated where I would wan't the pickup in relation to the strings and routed -just- deep enough to accomadate it.

Luckally all my measurments were dead on and everyting lines up perfectly. :D

Well I'm finally done. (well almost anyways...)

130.jpg

pic 1

pic 2

Not to bad for cans B)

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this finish thing :DB)

It's still far from perfect, but I'm starting to get there.

The 3D effect of this Quilt is amazing. You move it diffrent ways and it just comes to life :D

I need to get a video insted of a still to show off this quilt :D

Edited by Godin SD