What kind of music did you guys start off playing?

canuckguitarist

Which type of music did you guys play when you first picked up a guitar?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

a helluva mix. UK glam bands like Sweet and Slade, plus Beatles stuff and Punk when it happened.

Guest AlexVDL

I started as a lead guitarist in a Guns n' Roses band, so I guess you would call it hard rock.

And yes I mean I started in a band... I just played the guitar for just 6 months and I had do to all the Slash solo's in the band :D

OTHER -> Alternative, i played smellls like teen spirit by nirvana and self esteam by offspring for nearly a year... over, and over, and over, and over....

and over..... and over..... and over...............................

and over..

the first song i ever learned was seek and destroy by metallica.when i first started playing i wanted to be kirk hammett(the dude was awesome,started exodus when he was 16 if i remember my folklore right)

but talent is a strange thing.i discovered rather quickly that i was a natural at metal rythm.nothing is too fast or too intricate.the first time i heard "angel of death" and it broke into "the riff"(all you slayer fans know which riff i am speaking off)it was like a light went off.those guys are the masters of the metal riff!

still trying to catch up on lead though.ironically enough i can play hammet's style easily enough,but now that's not good enough for me.now i have to master king's tremelo work.

aaaahhhh the good old days.....when all that mattered was the music.

now i have to worry about the bills :D

i couldda been somebody.

E R U P T I O N!!!! i picked up a guitar, and all i wanted to do was learn eruption. EDWARD IS KING... but later Vai got me into really playing the guitar.

oh how i love my little escape from reality i call JEM!!!!

I picked up guitar to do one thing: play Master of Puppets.

well have ya made it?you don't cheat do ya?it's gotta be downpicking ya know.

I see I'm not the only Metallica inspired guy here. And I do cheat. I have to do alternate picking on Master... I'm just not fast enough or good enough yet. I do know most of Seek and Destroy and bits and pieces of other songs but just play for fun because I don't think I was blessed with the talent some of you have. But I just bought an ESP KH-2 Kirk Hammett signature guitar so that just might set my mojo free... :D

it is very tough to downpick on a les paul.it puts your wrist in an awkward position.the kh 2 will help.ever wonder how hetfield downpicks so effortlessly?look at the position his hand rests on his explorer.same position you get on a v.makes downpicking easier.notice too that hetfield downpicks with his wrist and hammett uses his whole forearm.

master of puppets is the ultimate downpicking song.i can do it easily if i am up on my practice and warmed up.if i am not?hell no!it is painful.

in my band in high school the other guitarist alternate picked it and i used to get so pissed because he would play it almost 50% faster than it was written.i am a firm believer in playing it how they wrote it.but he used to get pissed at me because he couldn't downpick like me.

oh yeah...

****, man, I'm not sure I could alt pick that if I wanted to...

Now ya gotta learn Disposable Heroes... downstroked. That's freakin sick.

oh yeah...

****, man, I'm not sure I could alt pick that if I wanted to...

Now ya gotta learn Disposable Heroes... downstroked. That's freakin sick.

i know it already.but it's not downstroked originally,nor is it possible.but i downpick everything they do