Which Camp do you belong to?

Patrick Deno

Which do you prefer/play?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow. I'm a rebel. :D

I run everything through my SansAmp, well except the banjo or course. Most of my work is in recording and not giging, so the small rig is good for two things. I can play anytime and not wake the neighbors (or the cats even), and it's really light weight. If I need more volume, I can always run into any power amp.

I'm right with you although you now have more gear than I do, but I did have all Rack going into tube amps with a midi controller for the floor board and expression pedals.

Ummmmmmm ... then you picked the wrong one .... :D You should have picked "tube amp with rack effects unit(s)". :D

Just thought I'd point that out *grins*

B) LJ

• 1 year later...

Itty-bitty tube amps for recording (except bass - it goes direct!), but for gigging I use my SansAmp PSA-1 with an appropriate rackmount poweramp and cabinet. It's not tone nirvana, but it's close enough for club gigs, and I don't have to hire a mule to tote it.
I'm not coordinated enough to use stompboxes at a gig, I can barely keep track of my guitar's settings and the patch on the preamp.

It's my 30W Kustom KBA30 practice amp all the way, baby! Mic'ed for gigs, but it packs a punch without. Yeah, right. I've just been spending too much on guitars to upgrade my rig right now. For some of the spacier jams I do, I'll sometimes run through a Danelectro Auto Wah pedal. When combined with slap/pop, that effect really gives you a spacey, funky, beat boppin' tone!

Thinkin about upgrading to a behringer amp, or maybe even Warwick if I can afford it. Mesa Boogie half stack, in my dreams!

[quote]I'm not coordinated enough to use stompboxes at a gig, I can barely keep track of my guitar's settings and the patch on the preamp. [/quote]

haha...i can only feel comfortable playing barefoot...and my big toe always slips off the buttons(this is at the house though)

I'm still hooked on my Rockman X100 Chorus box, equipped w/ footswitch and I use headphones quite a bit. If I want to make noise I'll plug into the old Musicman 210 Sixtyfive, extremely clean sounding combo amp (main output tubes and SS preamp), and got a Morley volume pedal converted with Crybaby Wah circuitry. I'm basically tired of buying batteries so I got rid of most of my old pedals.

In the last few years I've brought and sold a few amps... a Line 6 Flextone, a Marshall MG100 DFX, a Marshall JCM 900 50w combo, but I was never totally happy with any of them :D Until I swapped my JCM for a 2nd hand Peavey Transfex Pro 212s, and I can honestly say it's the best amp I've ever used, it's just incredible :DB)

i voted for straight into the tube amp, thats just for now tho or actually till winter break from school, right now i run into my mesa single rectifier with nothin else because it already sounds amazing clean and overdriven, ill prolly get a chorus pedeal or sumthin to go along with it

MzI

Hi,
i have a customised marshall JCM 900 (originally came with 5881 valves, changed to el34s). It is a surprisingly underrated amp. It has a great clean channel (its no fender, but still and all) and the crunch channel is really great.
I use heaps of effects (well, i have heaps of effects)- Generally, boutique or heavily modified. My main overdrive pedal is a Hotcake, as well as Klon Cenataur. My wah is a Jim dunolp Wah, that has been heavily modified.
However, i only like cheap time-based effects (Like danelectro, some Dod, ect). (All modified for true bipass, though). I have made myself germanium Fuzz face clones, Ts808 Tubescreamer clones and a Tychobrahe Octavia (to name a few)
My main guitar is a 71 SG. Oh- i also make my one cables- (honestly, it is cheaper than buying good leads, and is quite easy, and the results can be truely amazing).
Take care all,
Luke

All sorts of things!

For my solo live stuff, I go into a Boss multifx then into the PA mixer.
Band stuff, I use a Fender tranny combo, via the same multifx (but in manual mode, not preset). Thinking of adding...
One of my studio rigs - the valve ZVex Nano-head through a boogie 1x12 cab (miked up for gigging as it's only 0.5 watt)

Recording - all of the above plus a Pod XT direct into the mixer.

All of the above for me.

gig set up
I run my geetar into my pedal board (tuner,bad horsie,chorus,blues driver,eq) then into the 5150 combo (with jj tubes thanks for the recomendation BLS!!) and thru the effects loop I run an alesis midiverb 4 into an alesis compressor in a rack with a power condenser.

recording
geetar into pedal board into v-amp into compressor into mixer into sound card

practice
geetarr into pedal board into v-amp into compressor into peavey rage 158... hey shut up the rage is a good size!!! LOL :D

My setup is pretty simple :D

I have my guitars running through a Boss GT-6 into a Kustom 100w solid state combo. Its really loud and easy big enough for small to medium gigs which is all I do and its obviously heaps big enough for home, so it keeps me happy B) Sometimes for gigs i line out to a rented cabinet.

As a standalone unit the Kustom doesnt really cut the mustard. For clean tones its great, but its distortion is really weak. For the money I paid I shoudl be annoyed, but for some reason ive never worried about it. The speaker quality is also top notch, so as a modelling amp getting fed by the GT-6 (which i love) it gives me great flexibility and i can rely on it night after night.

I have gone out and bought all of the old tubes amps from the golden ages of tube amps.

I have tons and tons of tube amps, all bogen, RCA, and newcombs, all found on ebay for less than 30 bucks. Point to point wiring for 40 bucks? just requires some new caps and everything, come on people why buy tube amps?

I never use pedals, but I do have a pod 2.0 that I mess around with when I am bored.