How Do You Carve Your Cutaways?

So I'm getting pretty far with my guitar, but one of the things I'm still confused on how to do is the arm and belly cutaway. It's a JEM, so the belly cutaway is also dependant on making the handle usable. Should I make a template of the back and side and then draw it on the body and sand away or are there other methods? On the arm cutaway, it it acceptable to keep a finished body nearby for comparision and go by feel? Any input would be appreciated.

i run the back across my bandsaw for the belly cut( more shaping after with the rasp; but its the best way i find to get a good straight start; lil risky feeling sometime)

and over the jointer for the arm 'rest'; draw a line whre you want it to be and make that to the edge of your planer hold it on a lil angle and joint it off

Usually hand tools (rasp, shinto rasp, surform, microplane), and a handplane (block or jack) for the forearm countour, but if you want to go fast, an angle grinder with a coarse sanding/grinding disk will make really short work of it.

I tend to go by look and feel and general measurements, but I don't make replicas, so I really don't give a rats patootie if it's 'vintage correct' or whatever.

Angle grinder plus 40 grit paper. :D

But be so awefully careful when going this route......cause the 40 grit sandpaper just eats through the wood like carzy.

Process is something like this:

5 min. of grinding.

10 min. of file and rasping.

30 min. of sanding (sticking sandpaper to old libary card worked wonders).

I just drew lines on the sides and went at it with a small surform...sure it takes a little longer, but for me the most rewarding part of working on the guitar are those few places where I can set aside the power tools and have at it with hand tools.

I can understand using power tools for this if you're in a rush. But you'd think that this a part that's going to be in direct contact with your body --might be worthwhile to take your time...

I just finished up a forearm counter and belly carve with rasps and surforms followed by spokeshaves and handplanes. I *like* just hanging out on the porch for a while carving away at wood by hand. And my tools are sharp enough, that I make my last few spokeshave/plane passes lightly and get an almost glassy-smooth finish right there.

I'll probably end up sanding this, since I have other places where I will need to sand, but I was looking at those areas under the bright sun the other day, and I would feel comfortable spraying that wood.

I just finished up a forearm counter and belly carve with rasps and surforms followed by spokeshaves and handplanes. I *like* just hanging out on the porch for a while carving away at wood by hand. And my tools are sharp enough, that I make my last few spokeshave/plane passes lightly and get an almost glassy-smooth finish right there.

I'll probably end up sanding this, since I have other places where I will need to sand, but I was looking at those areas under the bright sun the other day, and I would feel comfortable spraying that wood.

Untill I see pictures, I think you are lying out of your teeth. :D

If you want it accurate or "vintage". You could use templates and a router set to the proper height at each template. Much like a topographocal map. That is how I did my first strat. Totally not necessary but it works and lets you get it very similar to a real carve.

Untill I see pictures, I think you are lying out of your teeth. :D

What's not to believe? Seriously, only reason I sand the bits of wood that get planed and scraped is because the bits next to them tend to need it ;-)

Ain't no finish smoother and cleaner than a freshly planed one.

Sure Scott, but isn't there an easier way than that.. I mean, that looks way too hard.. :D

I think I've used about every method know to man to do contours and whatever works for you and give you satisfactory results, go for it. Here are just some of the few ways I've done this job..

* Belt Sander

* Angle Grinder

* Router with jig I made

* Bandsaw

* Drum Sander attached to a cordless drill..

* Copy Carver

* Rasp, Chisel, Surform and various hand tools..

Test on scrap first, and find a method that works for you.

I'm working on finishing up the bevels on my explorer (no forearm/beer gut cuts here :D)and honestly, this is how I do it.

Take a half flat/half round wood file. Cut a 9x11 sheet of sandpaper into 3rds the short way. Wrap paper around file. Use flat side. Sand.

Yes, sandpaper AROUND a wood file. No, I don't use the wood file on the wood. hahahaha

Like it's been said before, I like working with the hands as much as possible.

Oh, and by the way, anyone else tried the Norton 3X sandpaper? Hot damn, that's some good stuff!

-Xanthus

I'm working on finishing up the bevels on my explorer (no forearm/beer gut cuts here :D)and honestly, this is how I do it.

Take a half flat/half round wood file. Cut a 9x11 sheet of sandpaper into 3rds the short way. Wrap paper around file. Use flat side. Sand.

Yes, sandpaper AROUND a wood file. No, I don't use the wood file on the wood. hahahaha

Like it's been said before, I like working with the hands as much as possible.

Oh, and by the way, anyone else tried the Norton 3X sandpaper? Hot damn, that's some good stuff!

-Xanthus

Or, use rasp as it's intended, get bevels close, then sand.

• 8 months later...