8 String Guitar For Connor Brown Of Putrefy

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I had to go back 5 pages to remember what it looked like!

Thirsty, for a second guitar, that is pretty fine looking work. I'm not big on the green burst, and there are a couple of minor aesthetic issues, but the craftsmanship is way above anything I've made yet (and my next will be number 5). It may not be professional luthier quality, but it's not that far off. At this rate, your next one will be smokin'!

Glad to hear you plan on continuing the thread, cuz I want closure!

I've also been trying some staining using the black, sand back THEN colour method which i believe Ritter uses to achieve those ocean deep quilted finishes:

GREEEEN.jpg

and.....................

GREENNNNN.jpg

Are you still going this direction with the finish, because it would seriously be killer.

Edit: I agree, the neck looks sweet too

for a second build, that is excellent work. would love to play that monster.

i haven't built anything yet, and am just waiting to get done with my examinations so i can start ticking off the projects i have in mind...

do take in some of the constructive criticism, there are some fine builders on these forums. i can't understand why this thread turned so hostile - keep going, and if you can, do post a clip or two. regards

Just a thought. This guitar would have looked so much cooler with spalted wood. You know, a putrified guitar for the guitarist of "Putrefy"?

Also, sand down that "burst dye" and dye it with the green/black combo you've been working on. The burst just looks really cheap for a custom guitar. Maybe you could go for a green burst with the green in the middle and black on the outer edges. I'd keep the lams natural and dye the wings.

Might want to come up with a nice ebony mounting ring for that pickup, too, or paint the cavity matte black.

Also, sand down that "burst dye" and dye it with the green/black combo you've been working on. The burst just looks really cheap for a custom guitar. Maybe you could go for a green burst with the green in the middle and black on the outer edges. I'd keep the lams natural and dye the wings.

Might want to come up with a nice ebony mounting ring for that pickup, too, or paint the cavity matte black.

+1 that would be sweet.

here is something you should try on scrap and see if you like it...i just recently did it with outstanding results.

instead of black dye...order some black super glue like stewmac has...spread it on evenly a la the drak method(business card)...then sand it back until itis only in the pores....one step sealing and staining.

on my test after i did this i added a glaze coat of shellac with cherry red dye in it...makes a very nice 3d effect that i could never get staing the wood directly with the cherry red...next comes nitro as a clear coat

Just a thought. This guitar would have looked so much cooler with spalted wood. You know, a putrified guitar for the guitarist of "Putrefy"?

+1.

That will look sweet man!

Jamie i want to see the guitar finished man, keep on working, i love the color and the selection of woods.

OK, I just finished "cleaning" up this thread... there are some parts that will have little or no "meaning" if you read the whole thing, but that main Idea still there!!! PLEASE keep this on topic, I won't close it again, but the 1st one that gets out of topic I will place him on a 2 week read only vacation!

here is something you should try on scrap and see if you like it...i just recently did it with outstanding results.

instead of black dye...order some black super glue like stewmac has...spread it on evenly a la the drak method(business card)...then sand it back until itis only in the pores....one step sealing and staining.

on my test after i did this i added a glaze coat of shellac with cherry red dye in it...makes a very nice 3d effect that i could never get staing the wood directly with the cherry red...next comes nitro as a clear coat

i would really like t try that, i think that stew mac has the best sh*t out but a lot of it cant be shipped to the U.K.

So, what about this pic?

100_2688.jpg

Mr Gums sanded back the finish again and we have a friend who custom builds VW camper vans and he sprayed it again with 2 part car high gloss varnish, the pic there doesnt do it justice now as its in a whole new ball park now, the finish has to wet and dry sanded and then buffed up by machine. then were ready to build. will have it built for the weekend, as of now the guitar is curing