Trussrod Cover - Inlay Design

Unrealize

I guess it would be possible, but with hand tools..?

What kind of tools would be needed for this. I have some fine blades from StewMac, but something tells me that even the extra fine blade is too rough for this one.

I probably shouldn't even think about it, but still, I can't help for it.

The design is 4 cm tall, and on this picture it should be at approx 200%

So, any encouraging words and hints..?

How should I go about doing this...?

20-trusscover-designtest.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it might be thin, but not impossible, I mean, I inderstand that some of the lines would cause trouble, but I thought I might be able to get it done with some scribes of sort...

You intending on using shell?? Lines are no problem, its the thickness of the legs/wings/neck, etc. Its just too thin. Have a look around and see what you can find by any pro/semipro/amatuer inlayer, cnc cut, or handcut. You wont find one that thin. Even at the size it is, you'll never get the thin tail, claws, horns, etc, and you want to to it half that size.

I'm not the most experienced inlayer around (I've barely done ANY, but I have done SOME) but I could tell from first looking at it that there's no way it's going to be possible in shell. For the exact reasons Perry just gave. In order to enjoy the endeavour, you need to set yourself up for success, and that means understanding limitations of the shell (primarily) and also of the material being inlaid into (secondarily).

Greg

Ok, so I think that I will just forget about doing this in shell then.. hehe.. I kinda thought so, just wanted to check with you guys first.

I have some friends in various graphic companies that can print stuff on plotters, like artwork for cars and so on, do you think that this could work? Having it printed in white, I suppose it is like a decal or something...

If it doesn't need to be genuine pearl, some sort of decal would be the way to go-- and adding some sort of protective layer over top would be ideal. A coat of a clear glossy varnish or something.

Something to consider: is this mainly for the purposes of up-close viewing or medium-distance viewing? Details that fine will be lost at any more than a meter viewing distance, and the up-close attention that it would require would be less awe-inspiring if the graphic is in the form of a decal.

Myself, I like an inlay idea. I like a dragon. I just think the design needs to be reworked so that you can have some sort of dragon inlay within the realm of the materials' possibilities and your own skill set.

Greg

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Greg, the main purpose of the inlay is for me personally. In one of the songs in my band I'm singing "I am a dragon..." and due to that I thought it would be a nice touch to put a dragon there. I also considered using the chinese symbol of "Dragon", which is a way simpler design, but I don't think that it goes so well with the rest of the design/intention of the guitar. I could consider simplifying the design a lot more to give it a more stylized look, which could be cool. I'll see if I can do some more work with it, and see what comes out of it.

I really do want something on the cover tho, I really want something on the cover, without it I think that the headstock would look kinda naked. I considered doing something with my initials, but I don't feel too comfortable about that either...

You know I understand the point is that you do the work yourself, but there may be another way...

I have a friend who uses a computer engraver, and we have had some amazing results for our Judo Club. We had our full club logo put on a wooden disc type key ring - probably about 1.5" accross, and the detail was so intricate and yet so perfect.

So would you consider using this method on a 2piece metal construction... so when you engrave through the black the silver shows ?

Hope that made sense...

I guess it would be possible, but with hand tools..?

What kind of tools would be needed for this. I have some fine blades from StewMac, but something tells me that even the extra fine blade is too rough for this one.

I probably shouldn't even think about it, but still, I can't help for it.

The design is 4 cm tall, and on this picture it should be at approx 200%

So, any encouraging words and hints..?

How should I go about doing this...?

20-trusscover-designtest.jpg

If you have the dragon design in a vector format, I can make it for you out of vinyl and you can just apply it to the cover instead of inlaying it.

Steve

Thats awesome!

Thanx a lot guys!

Westhemann, I used the saw and blades from StewMac, fine and extra fine. My girlfriend always claims me to be the most patient man ever, but I can't really agree, I'm not that patient, but I never quit. If I get an idea, I'll go far to get it done. :D

I'm not going to etch or engrave it at all, it looks far better in life than on the picture, and I'm happy with the kinda stylized look of it.

Yes, the tail broke off, and also the lower arm, bummer..

rhoads, I'm happy to prove you wrong. I must admit that it was easier than I feared, it isn't perfect, but like you said, with some simpler details, it went ok. Considering that I cut pearl like 4-5 times, I'm quite happy with the outcome. Tho, I haven't inlaid it yet, I can still f**k it up... :D

, I used the saw and blades from StewMac, fine and extra fine.

you really are patient then...i have that same saw and those same blades...and cutting out a small demon head took every bit of patience i have..

i have been wanting to get a tiny little variable speed scroll saw so i can start in on the inlays....i think that suits my patience level better

i don't want to try to change your mind on the etching...but i think it would look twice as good with some fine lines etched on the belly like the original pic you posted...and then fill the etches with black

just my opinion...i think if you successfully cut that out,then etching would be nothing for you.

did you get the little etching tool as well from stewmac?i have that,and it works well