Rg-8 Fanned

RGGR

i can relate to having a day job but building guitars for peace of mind, i´m a dentist, and i´m really happy when i´m building guitars

:D

Neck thrus are easier for me than set necks or bolt ons.

And i´d love to slap an EMG 707 on my Rg 7 string copy, cuz it sorta is a Fear Factory tribute guitar.

RGGR, are you gonna put the ebony strip between the zebrano on your body blank?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds good, 8 String Rg! awesome, i love the new ibanez 8's. I just got me a RG7, got used to it pretty quick, its great to have a lower range, i can get some realy nice chords using the 7th string. Im thnking about building and 8 after ifinish the LP7 i started nearly 2 years ago.

take LOADS of pics! I will treat this thread along with matt's and canuck brians s the gospel when im ready, i realy respect your work.

Building guitars is more about making templates then anything else.

I`m not against templates,but I don`t believe that`s what building guitars is about.Not to me anyway.

Building guitars is more about having fun for me.Oh,I have Three routers,two router tables,a 2 1/2 hp plunge router,templates...

....if I bought a CNC machine, for business reasons I understand it,but for personal building,well you get the picture.

Fret slotting & the fret work alone scare the %^$# out of me.

i buy the boards preslotted and radiused these days...i slotted my own at first...but it was too tedoius,i never enjoyed it...

as far as the actual fretting...after about 8 complete fret installs,i have really found the knack for it...i have a procedure down,and it is very,very enjoyable for me now....probably the part of building i like the most...

as far as the actual fretting.......probably the part of building i like the most...

Same here.It is very satisfying when you are done.

I did the radiusing and fretting on my present build and must say Cocobolo is one hard wood.I have another board but may put that off for something different.I don`t look foward to radiusing that stuff again.I hope this neck plays as well as my first one.

RGGR, are you gonna put the ebony strip between the zebrano on your body blank?
Be little more patient.....when I'm done with glueing and squaring up the body blank, all will become clear. B)

i can relate to having a day job but building guitars for peace of mind, i´m a dentist, and i´m really happy when i´m building guitars

You must be good with inlaywork, then? :D

take LOADS of pics! I will treat this thread along with matt's and canuck brians s the gospel when im ready
The gospel, hey? Still haven't got a clue how this pends out. Still don't understand half the issues I have to deal with. But yeah, will take tons of pictures.......specially from my crappy "low tech" building methods. :D

I really respect your work.

Thanks.......will see how this thing comes together. Don't expect a quick build though.

neck100_2367.jpg

-Metalmatt.......is that strips of ebony veneer in your neck???

Edited by RGGR

actually yes, hehehe, inlays are EASY!!! and i don´t even own that stewmac dremel bit for inlays :D

I got all my bits from my dentist.Of coarse they were autoclaved first,but they give me hundreds of bits,not that I use all of them,but I will inlay my logo with them.

actually yes, hehehe, inlays are EASY!!! and i don´t even own that stewmac dremel bit for inlays :D

I got all my bits from my dentist.Of coarse they were autoclaved first,but they give me hundreds of bits,not that I use all of them,but I will inlay my logo with them.

hehehehe, but can they be used in a dremel?? i think they are too small for a dremel, besides, when i did use dentistry bits i didn´t like them :D

Just spend some hours reading up on pickups and how to roll my own. Interesting stuff I must say.

My eyes popped open when I saw this pic:

gl.jpg

From this link:

http://www.q-tuner.com/gl.shtml

A Dutch guy rolling these amazing looking pups.

From what I can see, the way these pups are designed, it eliminates the necessarity for a 8 string bobin, but instead he uses a two free standing coils.

I still have to chew on this some more.......but the little voice in my head says it's do-able.

Use the Q Tuners!!! they are amazing still havnt got around to making a sample clip (waiting for new mixing desk) but i have a set in my RG and they are brillaint and people are always going "what the hell are they in your guitar!?!" - or just use the same design if your making your own, but i dont know how feasable that is.

T

or just use the same design if your making your own, but i dont know how feasable that is.
I'm chewing on that one. In pic, you can clearly see how pups is build up.

IMG_4759b.jpg

There is copper coil with magnet inside, all set in some kinda epoxy resin with hex sockets at the sides.

(Not sure I understand the relation between number of hex screws and strings yet.)

Here side view:

XXXmode.jpg

If you take away all the marketing mumbo-jumbo, it makes sense to roll my own.

Our proprietary computer aided guidance system allows for perfect side-by-side alignment of the windings creating physically as well as electrically identical coils. These coils are then baked, permanently "thermofusing" the wires producing two solid self-carrying "air" coils.

I'm thinking copying this design and making cheap pup winding machine, and wind copper over some sort of removable bobin. While winding with clear laquer I think securing the wire in the process. Spray, wind, spray wind, etc. Hopefully this will yield a self-carrying "air" coils. With coil done, and with right size neodymium magnets, it's a matter of assembling the parts and set everything in some sort of set up (couple of different shaped molds) and build up the epoxy so coils and magnext are covered.

Next up will be drilling the holes for the hex socket screws. At least that's the metal process....will see how easy this all will be.

Step one for me will be ordering some AWG #42 copper wire and work on those self-carrying "air" coils.

Edited by RGGR

Mock up of Zebrano body blank with RG template.

CIMG3281-1.jpg

Zebrano body blank made up out of Zebrano and two thin stripes of Wenge.

For Kodak purposes I wiped the body blank with damp rag. Will go for oily finish and hope it brings out same color.

Edited by RGGR