Help Make This Guitar Metal

i need to know a way to make this guitar more metal. i just think of paul stanley and kiss when i see it. ive basically destroyed it now. this pic is of it brand new. ive filled most of the knob holes and i just cut it out for 3 humbuckers. filled the bridge/stopbar holes and hav this strange bridge im making w/ old strat bridge parts. i want this to b hardcore, not kiss-esque.

Got any ideas?

Picture004.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not that i dont like kiss. i just want a badass guitar. like metal matts are. by the way i hate hatebreed. about the pickups. i got 2 dimarzio super distortion that im putting next to each other and a emg style jackson humbucker, that i got for payment for replacing it w/ a X2N in my friends guitar.

Edited by zeppelinchld

throw a set of emg's in it, and give it to kerry king when it's finished.

even if it doesn't look metal, at least it will SOUND metal!! :D

cheers

darren

the issues are how everything in the body is rounded.

what your wanting is a pointy guitar, and that body just isnt that, nor will it ever be.

METAL is played on everything from strats to flying V's

Hell, Ive seen a Metal Tele with a Floyd..

Id just paint it flat black, all black hardware, and maybe a satin black finish on the neck.. thats pretty dark IMO

the issues are how everything in the body is rounded.

what your wanting is a pointy guitar, and that body just isnt that, nor will it ever be.

METAL is played on everything from strats to flying V's

Hell, Ive seen a Metal Tele with a Floyd..

Id just paint it flat black, all black hardware, and maybe a satin black finish on the neck.. thats pretty dark IMO

+1. Agreed. It sounds like badass=pointy. Flat black all around should do the trick nicely...

Regards,

Rob

For one, what does Metal mean to you?

Metal has changed an awful lot over the last 30 years, Metal can mean lots of different things to lots of different people.

Also, I don't know what you're trying to achive by putting 3 HB's in it, that's a complete waste of time to me for any guitar, that sounds like a very '70's thing to do, but maybe 70's means Metal to you...

For future reference, don't ever do something to a guitar until you have a plan all layed out and ready to put into action, you are putting yourself in a bad starting position by doing these things without knowing what you already want to do to it.

I don't think anyone can really help you until you decide what Metal means to you, show us some examples of what look you're looking for.

BTW, the only thing that always screams 'KISS' to me is black and silver paint, now THAT looks like KISS no matter how you cut it.

Besides that, the shape doesn't imply much of anything to me, it looks like a great metal guitar body as it is in the pic, I wouldn't have routed another pkp in it, and I probably would have left the TOM in it unless you're looking to put a Floyd in it, a Fender whammy doesn't say anything Metal to me at all really...and it's a rather unstable environment for staying in tune.

We can toss out paint ideas all day long, it's really a waste of time, -you- really need to go out on the internet and bring back some ideas you like first, then we can tell you how to go about making it like that.

i just want a badass guitar. like metal matts are

HAHAHA Thats easy man BIG ASS BEVELS AND BLACK PAINT :D

Really man I like that design as it is I would only add Large bevels, the thing looks mean already but bevels will increase its evil powers 10 fold :D

you know what would Look great on this axe man!! a white body with Black bevels and Black Hardware

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Perhaps something like the "shattered mirror," but not exactly... how about a black finish with an inlaid chrome spider-web or something- similar to the crackle of the shattered mirror design but almost in reverse.

Very well-made body, by the way. But like it's been said, metal can be played on any guitar (I saw the death Metal band Nile play with creme-colored strats and white Gibby V's), so it's more of an attitude than a look.

Finish is important for the metal look but the shape is more essential, i think.

This is my take on your guitar's shape:

picture004qc3.jpg

You can achieve this by just cutting.

If you don't mind gluing new pieces to your body, then it could be easilly turned into a Jackson Kelly clone.

I don't know what your headstock looks like, but it is very important for the "metal" look too.

I did a conversion on one of my guitar's headstock and it made the guitar look so much more evil.

Who needs an evil looking guitar? If you're badass enough you could play a Squier Hello Kitty Strat and no one would think twice. :D

I agree with that one. If you ask me, perhaps the antithesis of metal, in my opinion, is Fender. Unless said Fender is in the hands of Adrian Smith :D

As for turning the binding route into a bevel? First, mark a consistent depth around the side of the body, unless you want them graduated like on an RRV or the ESP Explorers. Then, mark on the top how far into the body you want them to come. Next, and this is entirely personal preference, is to take some sort of straight carving tool like a rasp and hack away (carefully) until you've reached the desired depth on both the side and the front.

What I did, because the rasp I had wasn't all too great, was wrap the rasp in coarse sandpaper and sand away the bevel depth. Other people use spokeshaves, sandpaper, or straight up axes for maximum metal.

I'd be interested to see someone's Iceman-with-bevels design, I think it might look pretty sweet! I'm not a huge fan of 3 humbuckers or tremolos really, but it ain't my guitar. And yes, if you want the stereotypical metal guitar, flat black and EMG pickups are the way to go B)

Good luck!

::EDIT::

Actually, looking at that body again, the binding channel looks pretty huge. I dunno how you would go about shaving off wood for the bevels without taking off a SIGNIFICANT amount of wood :-/ Hmm... In that case, I'd say to just leave the body as is and go black with a white or silver binding, or white with a black binding, so long as the binding on the body is consistent with the binding on the headstock/fretboard, if any.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/...3847261_640.jpg

/\ see pic. It looks pretty good to me.

Personally i'd play that guitar at any show anywhere as long as it was either black or white. Then again my hair is really long and i flip the crowd off and drink a lot on stage, so i guess i could play a pink guitar. I'll buy pink strings and see what happens. Oh, and as for that guitar, you could always literally beat it up (chains, sledge hammers, sawsall, etc). Broken down destroyed stuff is metal.

sandpaper, this guitar is pretty beat up now. that was a picture of it when it was brand new. ill post a pic soon of it now. its gone through my little spurts of "creativity like 5 times now and it doesnt look that good. its also had like 4 paint jobs on it that hav been removed or stripped. i think that the 2 times i stripped it, it was to cold and the stripper never set and i was to lazy to get it off correctly and so i just beat the crap out of it.Picture004chopped.jpg

thats an idea i got, kinda like the abstract rockingbird