I Get To Pick An "engagement" Guitar

GregP

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the wedding ring is a symbol of commitment, that's why both partners wear one, and preferably the same ring.

The engagement ring is a symbol of ownership --if she were a cow, you'd put the ring through her nose. Well, okay, if 'ownership' seems too extreme to you, then substitute 'staking your claim' --it's just a way of chasing off the other bulls until you get yer seed in...that's why the size of the rock is so important.

you are such a hopeless romantic...i bet you really know how to make a girl feel special...hehe

typical punk rock attitude...ever watch "SLC punk"?good movie,i think you would like it

I would get one of Perry's customs because he adds those hidden personal touches.

They'd be married before i could finish it :D

But hopefully they would still be married when it was finished :D

I could build it with a swiss army knife style retracting chainsaw, to divide up the assets if they ever file for divorce B)

YOU GOT A CLASSIC GIT FOR GRADUATION FROM LAW SCHOOL??!!

I got a handshake, a dinner and a diamond tie tack!! And I've been in practice for 19 years!! :D

(Actually it was a bit more- but no git!)

Yeah, but I also have about $150k in student loans...plus comfort in the knowledge that once my parent's retirement plan runs out, I'm the "successful" son that gets to support them in their elder years.

I'm still waiting on the "successful" part to kick in.

QUOTE(rhoads56 @ Feb 21 2007, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(pmarlin @ Feb 22 2007, 03:05 AM) *

I would get one of Perry's customs because he adds those hidden personal touches.

They'd be married before i could finish it tongue.gif

But hopefully they would still be married when it was finished lol.gif

Don't laugh. I have a friend who does wedding photography, usually two to three weddings a week. He actually has had several loss-leader clients who don't make it long enough to get the pictures printed out--and that's with modern digital photography. Most of the time it's not even worth his while to go after the couples because they're still tapped out from the wedding and he'd never see the money anyway.

Perry et al re: getting custom--> I agree, but although I get to pick, I also feel I have to be reasonable. If I either choose not to or simply "can't" talk her out of the idea, I still don't wanna stick her with a price tag she wasn't counting on.

Mick: my guitar isn't actually abandoned... I just don't have access. I finally brought my materials and tools back from my dad's shop (where I was previously working) to my apartment because a co-worker has a shop that he's offered me the use of... and I still haven't gotten around to it. Not time weeknights, and on weekends there are always other commitments. Going to a shop once every month is no way to go. Really, what I need to do is revisit my strategy or shelve this project for later and do something simpler. If I were going to spend money on building, it would be as described earlier-- with a Soulmate neck and the rest of the fittings. :D It's not a terrible idea, though. There's a guitar-building workshop that's held twice a year around here. You walk out with a telecaster build. But it's nowhere near as "involved" as the ones you mention.

I actually borrowed his contour guage and took the neck contour at a few different spots, thinking, "Well, I can always carve the neck at home while I'm waiting to do other work." But then I thought, "ah, but that'll screw up gluing the fretboard." Easy... just glue the fretboard! "Oh yeah, I'm still not sure the inlays are working out... I should get a new fretboard and just do dots..." etc, and got mired down in the very reasons it's halted to begin with. <chuckle>

Godin: yeah, the LGXT (as mentioned earlier) is sweeeeeet.

I actually brought the subject up with her yesterday... said something like, "Y'know, you don't HAVE to get me something in return..." and she was sort of hurt. She said, "fine, you can just think of it as a wedding present" and I didn't push it. :D

I actually brought the subject up with her yesterday... said something like, "Y'know, you don't HAVE to get me something in return..." and she was sort of hurt. She said, "fine, you can just think of it as a wedding present" and I didn't push it. :D

Heh heh...enjoy it then...I just can't imagine my wife ever forcing me to buy yet another guitar... :D

Wow, that would be great. I don't own a resonator yet. :D

However-- I liked an earlier suggestion, which was to really think long and hard about custom, and see if we can swing it. That way she gets some "say" in what goes into the guitar.

I've contacted a well-respected custom builder with an enquiry, and have also gotten the "top bird" ( :D ) excited about it, so if it happens at all it looks like it's going to be custom.

Greg

Hey GregP

If I had to choose a guitar for my engagement, I'd go with a Larrivee

And since you're in Canada, it's relatively cheap too

I actually know someone whose also thinking of getting a guitar for engagement

He's thinking of Taylor 600's or around that ballpark

While I think Taylor's are nice, I think they're overpriced

I love the look of the spruce tops. Even without the jazz extras (tailpiece, etc.) I think a singlecut Myka solidbody with a spruce top and Bartolinis would be killer. Still out of my intended price range, though. :D

Prostheta and Maple: strangely enough, I have never yearned for another acoustic steel-string. I have my pre-Fender Guild D25, and though it was one of their "entry" models (no headstock/fingerboard binding, etc) I really love it. It embodies the kind of sound I like in an acoustic dreadnought. When I *have* had the temptation for another steel-string, it's been due to form factor-- I think "traditional" bodies would be more comfortable for noodling around with on the couch. :D

Greg

personally I'd have to have a custom built ... but if your gonna buy something out of the box so to speak I wouldn't go with "a**hole" (Everybody's Got One) guitars. Forget Gibson! Forget Fender! For Pete's sake scrap the jem777! What says special like something everyone has? Nothing! How would your wife to-be like it if you got her a ring that half the women out there were wearing? Not too special. Well, I don't know what to suggest for you but for the money, sound, looks, and overall uniqueness I'd go for guitars like: Carvin California Carved Top, Parker Fly, Brian Moore.

But what do I know?

Congrats by the way

I would recommend a custom with an inlay at the 12th fret of two love birds kissing with a heart behind them - or something cheesy like that. If you add some words like "together forever" and / or her name, she will think you will be thinking of her every time you play that guitar.

That will make her feel special, even though it's her gift to you.

i don't know about you but a custom instrument

A Custom shop Carvin is worth every penny and will stand the test of time without having you live in the streets.

A Custom Shop Carvin goes for a little under 2000 buckarros

It looks fantastic and plays like nothing you've ever played and sounds fantastic.

either that or a guitar from the Warmoth Custom shop licensed to Fender

Hands down they make to most beautiful guitars made by man and you can get every aspect any way you want (anything)

they cost a little under 2000

i like the Warmoths better myself

Thanks for all your input. I have something in the works that looks like it's going to pan out. :D

The Warmoth and Carvin options are both winners, too, though-- so if the plan doesn't work out for me, I'll have a backup. She likes the Carvin stuff. When it comes time to have a Stratomacaster, Warmoth also sounds like a good option... mind you, at SOME point in time in this danged life, I'd like to make some guitboxes for mesself. :D

Greg

Thanks for all your input. I have something in the works that looks like it's going to pan out. :D

The Warmoth and Carvin options are both winners, too, though-- so if the plan doesn't work out for me, I'll have a backup. She likes the Carvin stuff. When it comes time to have a Stratomacaster, Warmoth also sounds like a good option... mind you, at SOME point in time in this danged life, I'd like to make some guitboxes for mesself. :D

Greg

yeah those warmoths are real nice

much niceer than anything i could make

i built a giutar and sometime in my life i'd actually like to make a good one lol

PS: Warmoth puts binding on a stratocaster ;-)

Edited by Mr. Preston Swift

I got asked the exact same question by my lady.

Steinberger Scepter with a Transtrem. I dont' really care if it's not custom built for me. It's one of those long unfulfilled dreams I have and she wants to fill it. A custom guitar would be another guitar to me. The Scepter would have one of those "god I wanted this thing for almost 13 years" story behind it.

What guitar have you ALWAYS wanted? That would be the right gift. Perry himself can't make an Ibanez Blue Floral patter because, well, he's not Ibanez. Before ANYONE takes a swipe at me for that, I'm more than aware that Perry's gits are probably better than almost anything Ibanez produces. Not the point though. A copy of what you really want is just that, a copy.

Edited by Canuck Brian

Once upon a time, a long while ago when David Grissom was endorsing them, I wanted a PRS. I don't crave one anymore. Since then, the only production guitar I've "lusted" after is a Steinberger GL in good ol' black. The G&L strats and teles got some long looks from me, and for bass I really like MM Stingrays.

However, since joining PG, many of the guitars I've lusted after have been built-to-order one of a kind customs, either for the builder himself or for a comission. I've learned that the guitar I lust after is going to have to be built to my specs. Even the Steinberger GL doesn't have the same "lust" appeal for me as some of the guitars built around here. But I totally know what you're saying. If I was getting engaged 10.. even 7 years ago, it woulda been PRS. Now, it's a whole other ball of wax. :D

Greg

Well, it's not exactly a surprise, but nothing's been absolutely finalized yet. I'm not "holding back" just to create an air of mystery or whatever... I'd love to share all the details with you 'n' all that stuff, I just haven't got a handle on how much to disclose publicly as those details are being hammered out. Almost better to wait until it's built. :D

It's an unconventional model, though, I can tell you that. I haven't decided on the final details, but I know that it'll be headless with a compact body and likely EMGs, though I haven't completely ruled out Lace Alumitones yet. Like I said, design considerations are still being ironed out. :D

Greg