My First Design (electric)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN3762.jpg

CMCg-I ... almost there.... tomorrow she gets the full fret-job and beginning stages of the oil treatment...

DSCN3748.jpg

Here is a morning shot of all the bodies for my other CMCg's (#'s III, II and IV from left to right) all of which began the process of finishing today... these are in their raw sanded states in this image.

DSCN3764.jpg

Above is CMCg-IV in the spray-shack. I decided to lacquer this one, unlike the others which will be oil finished, since alder is such a soft wood and I want a higher level of protection for it. Besides, I wanted a subtle burst from natural in the center to a slightly darker fade (ala vintage) along the edges...

DSCN3770.jpg

... and there she is after the slight burst... I am very happy so far! I will add more tone to the edges in the morning (humidity permitting!).

DSCN3774.jpg

Above is the before image of CMCg-II. This one has another Canary-wood top like the semi-hollow pictured first in this post, but this model is a solid body with a pair of Gibson P-90's. The strips running through are birdseye maple and bloodwood. So, I rubbed some oil on aaaaand......

DSCN3783.jpg

BAM!!! Look at her shine!!! I love the oiled finish so far!!!

DSCN3785.jpg

I did the same oil technique on the CMCg-III which is made of mahogany, wenge and ash...

Edited by mikevirok

That looks like one of the hipshot trems, is it? Do you like it? I wanted the hardtail version and will probably go with that next build, I believe they are all made of brass. I was wondering if the actual saddles themselves are all different sizes? From a few pics it looks that way. In the hardtail I also saw they had one with the U shaped saddles and another with rectangle saddles which are all the same size. Anyhow, just wondering what you knew and thought about their bridges. Very nice builds, they all look amazing, the natural with bursted lacquer is nice and the oil one is also just amazing. Good stuff, and good luck with the rest, keep the pics coming. J

That looks like one of the hipshot trems, is it? Do you like it? I wanted the hardtail version and will probably go with that next build, I believe they are all made of brass. I was wondering if the actual saddles themselves are all different sizes? From a few pics it looks that way. In the hardtail I also saw they had one with the U shaped saddles and another with rectangle saddles which are all the same size. Anyhow, just wondering what you knew and thought about their bridges. Very nice builds, they all look amazing, the natural with bursted lacquer is nice and the oil one is also just amazing. Good stuff, and good luck with the rest, keep the pics coming. J

Thanks for the compliments J. To answer some of your questions about the hardware: yes I am using Hipshot bridges. 2 of my models are using the Fulcrum-style Hipshot trems and 2 are using the hard-tail versions. I think the bridges are mainly made of hardened USA steel and not brass, but I'm not sure. The bushings for the trem-posts are hardened steel and so are the pivot points on the bridge itself. As far as the saddle lengths are concerned, the low E and the G strings have shorter saddles to help with spacing while setting up the guitars since they usually sit far back and sometimes run out of room after drastic intonation adjustments are made. I too have seen the photos and diagrams of the bridges (both trem and hard) that have square saddle-backs as well as the rounded-backs (like I have). I ordered the trem versions from AllParts, and the hard-tails came from Stewart-MacDonald. I was surprised to find that both orders from separate suppliers had the rounded saddles, so you should be in luck with the rounded saddles. The Hipshot bridges are very nice, and everyone who has seen them in my class has been quite impressed with their construction and appearance.

Wow, thank you! You answered everything I wanted to know. From the first time I saw those bridges I liked them, far and above almost any other hardtail out there. Thank you on the information about the U saddles from both suppliers. I just checked stewmac because I had in my head they were brass and their site is where I got that from Hipshot Bridge(StewMac). Says they are machined from solid brass and then plated, which from what I have heard is a good bridge material, which makes me like them even more, the saddles are steel it says. They just look so much more simple and classy compared to most bridges and on a nice natural looking build like yours they really add to the look. Anyhow, thanks again and keep up the excellent work and pictures coming. J

Edited by jmrentis

Well everyone; I am officially a certified luthier!!! I graduated on Saturday evening from Atlanta Guitar Works and I am excited to say that my finished products earned me the award for "Best Of Class"!!! These things are awesome, they play like a dream & are only the tips of the iceberg...

P1010020.jpg

DSCN3838.jpg

DSCN3859.jpg

DSCN3860.jpg

DSCN3861.jpg

DSCN3862.jpg

DSCN3863.jpg

DSCN3864.jpg

Those are great looking!

You should upload some sound clips.

Oh, and what happened to that real nice alder one?

DSCN3796.jpg

... well, that's why even though I graduated two days ago and everyone else has gone home, I am remaining a few extra days at the school to finish (literally) her up. The alder turned out to be a little risky just to oil since it's so soft, so I decided to lacquer finish her. I took this one out of the spray shack yesterday and it is nearing completion as I type this. I should be done with it tomorrow & I will post finished photos.

Alright fellow forum members; here are the last few images from my stay at Atlanta Guitar Works. This is the fourth CMCg model that I produced while down here many miles away from home. I never touched a power tool in my life before coming to this facility, yet I was able to create (on my own) 4 high-end electric guitars each with the careful attention of a new yet well trained eye of a certified luthier. I am beginning my drive home tonight to reach New Jersey by Thursday evening. This has been the greatest accomplishment of my life so far and I cannot wait to begin building and repairing in my home state.

DSCN3872.jpg

DSCN3876.jpg

DSCN3882.jpg

Awesome!

I love all 4!

What you did with the tuner mounting is cool too.

Hey- is the bridge p-90 in the one with 2 of them the same as in the alder one?

if so, is the scale length the same?

Pots?

If so, then how different do they sound?

I know one has a trem and one is hardtail, and theres a few other differences, but I'm thinking this could help determine how significant wood choice is on tone.

wich one do you think sounds best they all must have such different tone. There all extremely cool looking. Especialy the first one you did that canary wood looks awesome.

As far as which one "sounds best", I have been favoring the second one (2 P-90's & trem). Each of the guitars do have a very different tone. For the time being, all we had at the guitar workshop were little practice amps with really terrible Eq's and components. The real test will be after I return home and plug in to my rig and jam with my pals.

Hey- is the bridge p-90 in the one with 2 of them the same as in the alder one?

if so, is the scale length the same?

Pots?

If so, then how different do they sound?

I know one has a trem and one is hardtail, and theres a few other differences, but I'm thinking this could help determine how significant wood choice is on tone.

Both the CMCg-II and the CMCg-IV have Gibson Vintage P-90's. So, yes both models have the same bridge pickups. I even used the same capacitor for the tone circuits. The potentiometers are the same as well (at least I think so, I'll have to double check that - although the values are each 500k audio tapers). The scale lengths on all of my models are 25.5 (just like a Fender), so that makes them similar in that respect as well.

As far as tonality and differences in sound go I need to get these plugged into a better rig to better judge that. I'll post some type of clips as soon as I get them recorded.

Congrats. Simply amazing work. I have no past experience in building these things but I've been playing them for more than 20 years and I just love guitars which have an artistic quality in their stature, which by the way, these four beauties definitely have. Just inspiring. Please, please upload soundclips recorded with a decent amp.