Chambering: Gibson Vs Warmoth Style

you chamber for two reasons. 1, reduce weight - 2, change the sound.

If you have one big route it has more impact on the sound wheras lots of little ones is primarily done for weight - although will still have some impact on the sound

Do i see a slight gap between the tenon and the pocket? And what is with that huge route at the end of the pocket?

What effect on sound would that route have, it looks like an empty pocket?

Do i see a slight gap between the tenon and the pocket? And what is with that huge route at the end of the pocket?

What effect on sound would that route have, it looks like an empty pocket?

I dont think gibson are reknowned for their tight neck joint fits... I saw a pretty nasty looking cross section of one on here once.

And isnt the big route at the end of the pocket the p-90 route.... or did I misunderstand what you were refeting to?

gibson always leave a gap there and its not really an issue since that area wwould be an end grain glue joint anyway and its a good idea to have a way to let excess glue escape - but there is absolutely no reason for the gap to be as big as that - unless BFG stands for Big f***** Gap

The idea apparently behind Warmoth having many separate chambers is that if the same area is routed as the Gibson chambering, but the chamber is split up into many, that you get almost exactly the same weight reduction and tone, but feedback issues common on semi-hollow guitars won't be as prevalent.

One interesting thing though is that if you look at Warmoth's hollow LP bodies in particular, there aren't as many chambers on that model as their Strat bodies.

hollow_lp_routing1.jpg

(image from www.warmoth.com)

Slightly off topic, I was in the local guitar shop a while back and the guy was running through the latest stuff, etc. I forget how we got onto it, but at one point he takes a new Les Paul off the rack and shakes it and says "hear that?". I could hear a rattle sound but I said that it must be hardware, I was thinking the pickups in the rings or something. He said that it was actually debris inside the chambers. I thought this was pretty hard to believe, but he said that there had been an info note from Gibson on it. He shook several and they all did it. He said the tops went on without blowing out the wood chips. Does this make any sense?

Makes plenty of sense. Why create a job for someone to blow woodchips out of guitars when you can make more profit? Oh well, at least they didn't create some bogus excuse such as "this guitar is filled with tone flakes that will enrich your tone!"

Tone flakes, another million dollar invention.

Makes plenty of sense. Why create a job for someone to blow woodchips out of guitars when you can make more profit? Oh well, at least they didn't create some bogus excuse such as "this guitar is filled with tone flakes that will enrich your tone!"

:D

Slightly off topic, I was in the local guitar shop a while back and the guy was running through the latest stuff, etc. I forget how we got onto it, but at one point he takes a new Les Paul off the rack and shakes it and says "hear that?". I could hear a rattle sound but I said that it must be hardware, I was thinking the pickups in the rings or something. He said that it was actually debris inside the chambers. I thought this was pretty hard to believe, but he said that there had been an info note from Gibson on it. He shook several and they all did it. He said the tops went on without blowing out the wood chips. Does this make any sense?

I played a Gibson that did that today, in fact every les paul i played today played like crap for the price they charge.

Quality control is getting more norlin-like again.

What section of the cereal isle are those in? Is it by the Wheaties, or are they down with the sugar coated stuff?

"Tone Flakes, for that instant perfect tone every morning. Now available in Frosted Tone Flakes, for that extra Sweeter Tone."

gibson always leave a gap there and its not really an issue since that area wwould be an end grain glue joint anyway and its a good idea to have a way to let excess glue escape - but there is absolutely no reason for the gap to be as big as that - unless BFG stands for Big f***** Gap

+1

My first job was working in a furniture factory for a rather well respected company & the joints were purposely CNC'd loose so that we didn't need to knock them together...unfortunately we needed to use so much glue & nails that I doubt that they saved any money. I guess Gibson is under the same dillusion.

Wow, didn't even notice that when I looked at the pic, yeah that neck pocket work is worth 2500.00 :D

A BFG is only about $800. For $2500, you can get a Reissue model that has the long tenon neck joint.

On my '04 Classic, it has a weight-relieved body with the holes drilled in the mahogany, but Gibson just started the major hogging this year. I'm usually one of Gibson's biggest apologists on this board, but I really don't like it. I think they're getting lower grade mahogany that's heavy and tone-dead.

They better get their act together. The only thing keeping the PRS Singlecut from completely eating their lunch are the prices PRS is charging for 'em. They compete more with the Reissues rather than the Standards.