Design Ideas?

ssg.jpg

i need some input on design capabilities-it's for my wife----she likes leopard print, so i want snakewood as the fretboard possibly with a slightly darker tone. but thats when i get stuck what should the body be made up of?

mahogany back of coarse but what kind of top and what kind of stain?

to burst or not to burst?

trem or non trem--or tune-o-matic?

gold, chrome, or black hardware?

please everyone ask your girlfriends,fiances, and wive for ideas, unless you have some of your own.....please post pics too

p.s. i can't tell her about this build-it will be very discrete-built at a friends.

You don't HAVE to use mahogany. Snakewood is very heavy and dense, so I'm guessing it gives that same tone to a neck that ebony does. What wood you chose for the neck and body will matter wholely on what kinda music your wife plays, and what kind of guitars you know her to like. Also, pickups are gunna be huge in this too mix-up too. As for what top... looks like you're doing a flat top, and therefore a drop-top piece of wood, which will have almost NO effect of your tone. So who cares, pick something ya like, stain it or don't, doesn't matter. The reason no one's responding is cause this kinda thing is asked EVERY day a billion times and is just to vague, and not to mention boring to answer.

Be a man, use your cognitive abilities to figure out what would look good together in your head, and make a decision. It's your wife, no one knows her better than you.

Chris

It looks like a Viper with a fingerboard that doesn't suit it at the moment. Black fingerboard binding would help if you have a black body theme. How about a snakewood backstrap or headplate inlay? Perhaps snakewood tuners? If you go for a flat top body instead of bevelled, snakewood binding?

Ah, just re-read....your wife likes Leopard print, so it's time to look for a new wife as it'll be cheaper than a bunchload of snakewood. Find one that likes flames or silk and talk her into flame or quilt maple :-D

Edited by Prostheta

You don't HAVE to use mahogany. Snakewood is very heavy and dense, so I'm guessing it gives that same tone to a neck that ebony does. What wood you chose for the neck and body will matter wholely on what kinda music your wife plays, and what kind of guitars you know her to like. Also, pickups are gunna be huge in this too mix-up too. As for what top... looks like you're doing a flat top, and therefore a drop-top piece of wood, which will have almost NO effect of your tone. So who cares, pick something ya like, stain it or don't, doesn't matter. The reason no one's responding is cause this kinda thing is asked EVERY day a billion times and is just to vague, and not to mention boring to answer.

Be a man, use your cognitive abilities to figure out what would look good together in your head, and make a decision. It's your wife, no one knows her better than you.

Chris

i know about the wood aspect, all i wanted was some designing help. like would it look better with a solid colour, solid burst, or natural, and if natural-what kind of wood. i wasn't looking for what woods go with what sounds-which is why i said already that i will be using mahogany.

once again i am looking for designing help-what should i use to make it LOOK good for a woman.

thank you to those who helped with designs-prostheta and joobsauce

advice like that is what i was asking for

prostheta-im not painting the body black, and as of now-since i haven't cut out the design-its an exact replica of a viper. what kind of top would you attach for a nice natural look? quilted or flamed maple might make the guitar look too complicated. i would like to put a nice burst on it-but what kind?

joobsauce- thank you for enforcing my first thought, but i think i will have all gold with a bit of black

and she isn't my wife yet-this guitar is something im giving to her for christmas-and im going to purposely forget to soder a wire-dso when she tries to plug in she wont hear anything-so i'll go and get a screwdriver-turn the guitar over on her lap, get on one knee-unscrew the backplate----and pull out the ring from inside the guitar....

and i know its corny

and i cant get ahold of gilmerwood---what is the email? the link for ordering won't work for me.

Edited by sb guitars

LOL, if she likes a leopard look maybe look into a lacewood top! I think a nice color lacewood or stained version with that snakewood would just be crazy, if done right it might look really cool. There are a few woods with the same effect as lacewood, though I think many might actually just be in the same family. Anyhow, I believe lacewood, leopardwood, and even sycamore can have a crazy looking pattern that might suit your wifes taste, but maybe just run some pics by her and she was she says. Like I said, if done right with the right piece of lacewood you could have one sick looking guitar. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

LOL, if she likes a leopard look maybe look into a lacewood top! I think a nice color lacewood or stained version with that snakewood would just be crazy, if done right it might look really cool. There are a few woods with the same effect as lacewood, though I think many might actually just be in the same family. Anyhow, I believe lacewood, leopardwood, and even sycamore can have a crazy looking pattern that might suit your wifes taste, but maybe just run some pics by her and she was she says. Like I said, if done right with the right piece of lacewood you could have one sick looking guitar. Best of luck. J

should the figure be tight or spaced out-like the last pic here http://fullservesite.com/mwcguitars/images/bass2/b2.jpg

An electronics-based ruse towards proposal isn't the best of ideas man. You'll probably kick yourself a while down the line for the cornball approach....I proposed to my wife on a spur of the moment thing by stealing my friends ring and offering it to my wife as a temporary engagement ring till further notice :-D

Go simple on the design, but be succinct and beautiful with the detailing. Make it an instrument that is a joy to be close to, just like your wife (*I hope*).

:-D

An electronics-based ruse towards proposal isn't the best of ideas man. You'll probably kick yourself a while down the line for the cornball approach....I proposed to my wife on a spur of the moment thing by stealing my friends ring and offering it to my wife as a temporary engagement ring till further notice :-D

Go simple on the design, but be succinct and beautiful with the detailing. Make it an instrument that is a joy to be close to, just like your wife (*I hope*).

:-D

hahaahhahaha nice way man to go

and yes i will do as you have suggested...

You know what I think... that you should ask your wife for input instead of the people here at the forum. Of course we can help, but I think that since the guitar is for her, she should be the one saying what color and such! Otherwise you may end up with a guitar that you THINK your wife will like when in fact she wouldn't!

Only time I did a guitar for a friend, I showed them gilmer's site and pointed out the woods that I thought she would like, and from there after she choose woods, colors etc..., I bought the wood and did the guitar. What I thought she wanted, was no were near what she ended up with! Some girls like pink, some like blue, some like black... you get the idea!

You know what I think... that you should ask your wife for input instead of the people here at the forum. Of course we can help, but I think that since the guitar is for her, she should be the one saying what color and such! Otherwise you may end up with a guitar that you THINK your wife will like when in fact she wouldn't!

Only time I did a guitar for a friend, I showed them gilmer's site and pointed out the woods that I thought she would like, and from there after she choose woods, colors etc..., I bought the wood and did the guitar. What I thought she wanted, was no were near what she ended up with! Some girls like pink, some like blue, some like black... you get the idea!

very true, and i have been asking about those things, but asking subtley-i cant lt her know about the guitar-its a huge secret

do you have the gilmer email to order the wood? the link won't work for me

Wel...being an "inlay guy", my first thought is to do a top with a leopard pattern inlaid with 3 different wood types: Sycamore for the backgound (light colored with a lot of flash), maybe use a dark brown wood like walnut or indian rosewood for the dark areas on the outsides of the spots, and a medium color wood like mahogany for the insides of the spots. It is definately doable on the laser engraver. :D

Double_Panther_wLeopard_Print_1205_90.JPG

Wel...being an "inlay guy", my first thought is to do a top with a leopard pattern inlaid with 3 different wood types: Sycamore for the backgound (light colored with a lot of flash), maybe use a dark brown wood like walnut or indian rosewood for the dark areas on the outsides of the spots, and a medium color wood like mahogany for the insides of the spots. It is definately doable on the laser engraver. :D

Double_Panther_wLeopard_Print_1205_90.JPG

thats a cool thought

i will definaely use the 2 leopards for the 12th fret tho! thank you!

why not a fabric top?

There was a tutorial on the main page, it has been done on here by one or 2 people, it can look very unique as well, also lets you open up a whole range of woods to use for the body to give you different tones.

For example,

You can use your snake skin for the fingerboard, and then let yourself use a maple neck, and say an alder body. This will open your tonal possibilities, opposed to using a mahogany body with a maple top,

Check out the main site under the Tutorials section, it should be there, if not then run a search through the forums and your should find something.

Curtis

One of my guitars uses a translucent print over the top of figured maple, so you get a detailed image (in my case a semi-naked woman that looks like it should be airbrushed on the side of a panel van) but you also have the figure of the grain showing through which gives almost a cat's eye effect. It's impossible to actually show what I'm talking about with a photo, but if you imagine the two guitars pictured here hybridized to be all part of the same finish, then that's basically what you've got.

I'm not sure as to the difficulty of the process, but it opens up a lot of possibilities for finishing a non-carved top if you go that route. Leopard print on birdseye maple could give you a pretty original sort of finish.

I would lean towards a sycamore or lacewood top. Are you positive that you are going with the Viper style body. I would try and find out what her dream guitar is and go with that body style. Try and take her dream guitar and work from that and make it even better. If you are incorporating the guitar in your proposal you don't want her to look back and say "Look at the gorgeous ring he gave me, and oh yeah that guitar over there too". You want this guitar to be her favorite for the rest of her life. I think the sycamore would look nice since it will give you the leaopard type spotting, but is a light color so it will be easier to shade to the color you decide on. I would also get the snakewood first to see want color tones it has in the specific piece and base your choices off of that.

Maybe to help you with your process of designing, take her to a local guitar shop. Just head out with her for groceries or something and say, "Oh man, I forgot I really need some strings" or picks or whatever and then just stroll through some of the guitars and see if she mentions anything in particular. If possible it might help you figure something out. Best of luck.

GAXE: it is a cool thought, and i understand what you are talking about-but, i think a figured top would give the guitar a complicated look, she like leopard print AND simplistic design.....she confuses me everyday lol

Ihocky2: i have been leaning towards a lacewood top, im still looking for the right one. i will take your advice about sycamore, and research it.

and when you said:

"If you are incorporating the guitar in your proposal you don't want her to look back and say "Look at the gorgeous ring he gave me, and oh yeah that guitar over there too". You want this guitar to be her favorite for the rest of her life."

it was very well put, i have been thinking about that since i got the idea.

Jmrentis: i was thinking the same thing! this thursday we are going downtown, so she can get some winter shoes, and i said "Perfect, now i can get some more picks!"