8-string Replacement Build

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word...abrasive.

Don't do that.

The Dupli-color truckbed liner is less "gritty" than the "real deal" stuff. I've used it before on speakers. It's very durable, but doesn't look good at all, IMHO. I wish I hadn't used it on my speakers, and I certainly wouldn't use it on a guitar.

The Musicman SUB basses have a textured finish like that. Check one out in person if you can... I suppose some people must like them, but not me!

Well, the user of the Rhino Liner'd guitar it's very happy with it. And he said that's comfortable.

It looks great...but I will never believe it is comfortable...not as much as I play.I have used that stuff on pickup beds and I know how rough it is.The purpose of it is to keep your cargo from shifting.

OH MY GOD Im glad I saw that pic before trying it at all, that looks like painful crap :D

nah, definately not comfortable. It may be tolerated for the look but it wouldnt be comfortable with normal clothes - maybe the secret is to wear armor plating with it or something like that, it would certainly match the look of the guitar

so that rules wearing just my leopard print speedo out :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so Ive not had alot of time to work on the purpleheart guitar but Im starting to fall in love again :D where the wood lacks the design is really makeing up for it, so I have the jig ready for the electronics cavity and Ive started my jig for the headstock so that I can drill out the tuner holes dead on so once thats done the guitar is just about done other than alot of sanding

I'll be freting soon aswel and I'll be doing a flat radius

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Fert away Matt, fert away. Just stay near the window, there's a good chap

ohhhhh ooooops :D

Ok so Ive not had alot of time to work on the purpleheart guitar but Im starting to fall in love again :D where the wood lacks the design is really makeing up for it, so I have the jig ready for the electronics cavity and Ive started my jig for the headstock so that I can drill out the tuner holes dead on so once thats done the guitar is just about done other than alot of sanding

I'll be freting soon aswel and I'll be doing a flat radius

Why a flat radius????

Why a flat radius????

well ive been playing a friends no name flying V that he got off ebay and the board is dead flat and for some reason my hands love how it feels so I'll give it a go

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

OH MY GOD Im glad I saw that pic before trying it at all, that looks like painful crap :D

Read through the thread that was linked to. The owner said it wasn't rough at all, but rubbery and textured. With that in mind, I'd imagine your forearm wouldn't move at all! That alone would be a bad thing.

Ok Ive goten a bit more work done

IMG_2192.jpg

and the tuneing peg holes

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...ar/IMG_2191.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...ar/IMG_2190.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...ar/IMG_2189.jpg

Oh and Ive changed the headstock design its much shorter, I believe it looks much nicer and flows more with the body

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Do we have an official weight estimate of the finished project yet? That PH will be weighty for sure. Looking good otherwise! I have a huge almost-2m long neck-through piece of PH lumber I can't find a reasonable use for. It's just lethal on tools!

Well its not as heavy as I thought it would be but the weight is really helping with any neck diveing issus this guitar will sit perfect Im very very happy with this guitar now BUT this will (MAYBE) be my last purpleheart guitar unless I fine another killer figerd piece like my tube curl quilted slab I found at windsor but Ive NEVER seen any thing like that again

• 4 weeks later...