The Gambler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to stick my wood into things that are tight... tight as a tiger...

IMG_2880.jpg

No glue there fellas, thats how all the neck joints are, regardless if they are set neck, or bolt-ons. Of course, more work is required before it can be glued in...

Impressive BUT are you not worried about glue starvation in the joint? On my limba explorer, it was real tight and I'm worried about not having enough glue in there. Do you put glue on both surfaces before clamping?

Impressive BUT are you not worried about glue starvation in the joint? On my limba explorer, it was real tight and I'm worried about not having enough glue in there. Do you put glue on both surfaces before clamping?

No glue there fellas, thats how all the neck joints are, regardless if they are set neck, or bolt-ons. Of course, more work is required before it can be glued in...

:D

:D

That's a good standard to work by. I like to be able to pick up the guitar by the neck before the neck has been glued or bolted to the body. The only bad part about that is when you forget about a soft body wood and the weight of the body pulls the body down the neck, widening the pocket by a hair. Ask me how I know... :D:

Yup. Make it as tight as possible, so its a neat press fit, and will hold the body (just). Because glue contains water (Titebond) it will expand the fibres of the timber surfaces, which means you wont get the neck in there when it has a layer of glue on it. I have experimented with wetting the joint first, raising the grain, then refitting. That worked well, but i avoid any methods which involve actual water. So, now i just shave down the joint a specific amount (timber dependant), glue, and clamp. The joint still swells, to roughly the previous size, and its a nice tight joint. I have about a 15 second window of opportunity to get the neck in there before it swells too much. In tests ive done, the glue seems to penetrate the surface of some timbers more when i do this 'shave back, glue up' technique. Its not enough to affect finishing though.

• 2 months later...

Nice piece of wood.

What kind of bridge are you putting on there? That route looks non-conventional.

When I see this thread, the first thing that comes to mind is "The Gambler", by Kenny Rogers... but I'm sure that your customer won't be playing that with his guitar :D

Edited by guitar2005