• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my friend Todd was buildin' some goodies and just wasn't happy, this is the result:

fire1.jpg

That'd be a bubinga acoustic rim, and if you look closely you can also see the remains of a curly aniegre rim that met it's maker a little bit before this guy.

End Result

Chris

What's with that? No weenie roast or toasted marshmallows? Man what is wrong with your friend. I mean really letting a good fire go to waste and not having a party. At the very least some hot chocolate. :D)))))

MK

oh soapbar, why do you waste your superior repair talent on threads like this when you could be helping so many people save their guitars? I think I have seen at least 2 threads seeking advice on repair in the last 2 weeks that just sat there unanswered. C'mon, show us all how it is done. Show us how to take near catastrophe and make it a winner. You just might see less of these threads if you put your creative energies in that direction.

And I mean this with the utmost respect. Your posts suggest a superior grasp of repair strategy and skill. It would be a benefit to us all if you posted more in line with your philosophy.

~David

In case you haven't noticed, when the juvenile type threads increase, the informative threads seem to decrease. If that's the way most want it, then that's what they'll get. I'm by far, not the only one who loses interest in posting when the place starts looking more like a goof-off forum.

I'll reply to a thread here and there if, and when, I feel like it. It's not my job to weed through the whole forum looking for unanswered post. Since you are the one that actually saw those unanswered posts, then you should have answered them instead of saying someone else should.

It's also not up to me to guide someone through high school basic wood shop skills.

If you're concerned about time wasted on posts, then ask why such stupid threads like this get started in the Announcements area of the forum.

soapbar, there really is no need to get defensive. If you haven't noticed by my posts I do not consider these threads stupid at all. I get it. What suggests stupidity is a constant barrage of statements from people who cannot accept that choices of others without having to try and belittle them. You have personally suggested that burning guitars is proof of my lack of quality. You know this kind of slander would not be tolerated on other forums. :D

And be sure to understand that I am not questioning your personal freedoms. Of course you will always post if and when you feel like it, like myself. You will also, is seems, tend to place erroneous issues in the way of what is actually being said. You can always behave like the consummate professional or throw in your straw men wherever you see fit.

Be sure that I am not questioning your personal choices nor am I being hypocritical. I respond in detail within my area of expertise if and when I have the time (this is implied by the fact that the posts exist). That is all I am suggesting that you do (unless you actually prefer your rants, which you seem to). You may find the forum more interesting if you share what you enjoy so that others may gain from it. It makes me feel good and I have made a good many friends over the years.

And if you noticed I never start from the absolute basics. I focus on advanced woodworking skills such as building a hollowbody guitar. I also do not underestimate the skills of anyone reading the topic. With a little research, or another question, they can figure out the rest. Perhaps you might give people the benefit of the doubt instead of taking such a superior and condescending attitude? Just a thought.

By the way, nice burn, Chris!

~David

You have personally suggested that burning guitars is proof of my lack of quality. You know this kind of slander would not be tolerated on other forums. :D

Where did I write that ? That's the same thing as if you burn a guitar and it makes me wonder if you ran into a problem you couldn't rectify ? I don't know what the quality is of the guitar you sent out the door, or the one you trashed, or left in the corner, etc. If you burned one, I'd have to assume you don't mind wasting some useable scrap wood. Yes, I'd rather not see "tutorials" on that, especially in this area of the forum. Anyway, you are acting like the guitar in this thread was built by you. I assume you've read other posts of mine related to this same topic and were not sure how to respond. But here you are, grasping at straws, to make a reply. You mentioned : 'would not be tolerated on other forums', and that very thing applies to my view on this. You say here that this kind of thread makes complete sense to you, but you know on any forum, and more so on other forums, it would cause trouble.

So, like it or not, I see these kind of posts as real goof-ball topics, and I respond as I see fit. It's so wrong to you, because it's the opposite of your opinion. But we all know what's going to be said in these kind of threads.

Actually, I suspect if the truth was known why this thread was started, here in the Announcements section, the OP might very well enjoy a 2 week vacation.

You have members giving good information in areas of the forum, where probably only a fraction of members will see it. But then these big ego guys think their damage display just has to been seen by all.

Project Guitar "Where the internet goes to WORK ON guitars"

Edited by soapbarstrat

I personally try to salvage every piece of wood that I can but in my opinion; if you build it you can kill it any way you see fit. Threads likes these are meant to be amusing. I really don’t find appreciation in any guitar being burnt that isn’t being burnt by Jimi Hendrix but if something offends me I just ignore it. It seamed like Soapbar looked at this thread just knowing he would be offended by it and did not look at it with any open mindedness.

We should all just go scrounge up a copy of John Hiatt’s “perfectly good guitar” and just get along!

To each their own, right?

You have personally suggested that burning guitars is proof of my lack of quality. You know this kind of slander would not be tolerated on other forums. :D

Where did I write that ?

I'll just let this gem of a quote speak for itself:

What's so stupid is how they indicate that the destroying is *proof* that *they* have high standards, and being opposed to it is proof that that person has poor standards. I've had that said about me twice on this forum. As far as I know, I have never had a customer say work I did was sub-standard. In fact, most find it the best work they ever had done.

Don't ever pull that crap over at the gear page, because they have a strict policy about making false negative claims about a business.

I love how you follow up your very own negative false claims with a warning to us all. Great stuff!

It is no wonder why you feel so strongly, you said it yourself:

A lot of repair work is harder than building from scratch, and it's often hard to find a piece of scrap wood that has the right look. I know some builders can't stand the idea that repair work takes more skill than the building they do, because of that "vanity" thing

I am sure your work is sublime. Too bad there aren't any repair forums with an ROTM (Repair of the Month) contest. I bet you would win all the time.

And for those of you who don't know the kind of trouble this sort of thing can cause check out this thread. soapbar, maybe you can chime in and add that missing element you are tying so desperately to pin on the rest of us.

~David

Can I suggest a beer, a bong, or a blonde? Let's relax and let everyone do to their wood or guitar or other whatever the hell they want to do.

I've personally screwed up everything I've ever built in one way or another. Sometimes I could hide it or explain it away, other times I wanted to get all "Jimi at Monterey" on it.

I forget the point of my post. Could be the beer :D .

It is definately liberating to destroy the screwups.I have ony done it the one time,but truth be told I have about 4 more that may see some damage sooner or later.

At this point I doubt I would screw one up to the point of no return...But if I do,I would rather salvage the parts and destroy the rest.Sometimes you just do something stupid,and the wood has to suffer for it.

Well, there are other methods. Quite a while ago I told my mother that I was interested in fixing up broken down guitars and to feel free to buy anything she sees at garage sales etc. Of course, this is a little wee bit off topic because it doesn't really deal with anything I'm building. Anyway, she picked up this little piece of CRAP steel string acoustic for 10 bucks. I noticed at first glance that it was unplayable in its current condition, pretty much not worth the effort to do a neck reset (which it needed). I've repaired countless noname types of guitars but this one was truely NOT worth the effort.

It was sitting around at home for a few months when I finally got a good idea. The people who run the electrical shop tool crib at work are under a great deal of pressure most times and I figured I would give them the opportunity to "vent" on something if they so desired. I brought the guitar in and wrote on it with a large black marker "STRESS AND ANGER MANAGEMENT DEVICE" :D I told them to hang it on the wall and if the need arises they can give the little guitar a stab with a screwdriver, be creative with it , whatever they want.