Kaye Sd7

Kenny

I think Poly is fantastic. Quick, tough and can be finished thick, thin, gloss or satin. Does the job. It really does depend on whether you're forging your own path or wanting to go down a traditionally worn one. Whatever works for the piece, I think. All finishes have their place. I would naturally think Poly for this one down to the repeated comments on redwood being soft. Oil provides no physical protection really.

Love those graduated trap inlays. A real eyecatcher, Kenny.

Edited by Prostheta

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

so heres the deal

i finished the finishing, and strung her up! wow, im surprised at how close i cam with the FB, but i still gotta do some fretwork, i also misjudged the bridge height so i gotta make it closer to the body, no big deal tho, just a little sanding

here are pics

(note: the mahagony looks plain, trust me its not, thats just the lighting angle, you know how oil based finishes glisten in the sun, i left the neck at a satin gloss. it looks llike the top is scratched on the first pic, thats just an illusion, keep looking down :D)

hpim0675fq2.jpg

hpim0679ii2.jpg

hpim0682px1.jpg

hpim0685nh8.jpg

i hope you guys like it :D

Kenny

Edited by Kenny

any constructive crit?? im also getting some string retainers cause i think thatll help out, the high E has slipped out of its slot twice and thats not acceptable

Um...yeah. Cut the ends off your strings. :D

Seriously Kenny, it looks awesome. I love the multiscale inlays, the shape, the carve, all of it. I think my favorite part is the bridge shape. That's a particularly classy touch. Now come carve my body for me. kthx!

-Dave

haha i cant cut off the ends because i need to take the stings off :-p

thanks for all the kind words! it really means alot to me guys

and dave...send me your bodies :-p

but seriously id carve them

haha

anyways on a differnt note

ERIK inspired me to do a bridge like that on his V8 build, his was much better, but i put my spin on the one that i build

also, i want to enter this into the GOTM for september becuase i turn 18 in september and winning would be an awsome present, but i dont have the PU covers yet :D

Edited by Kenny

I felt that way too at first ngaa, but it really grew on me. I think it works really well with the fanned frets for some reason and the wider style neck, it contrasts, like the black inlays on maple, but it all fits together somehow, really well to my eyes. I really like the shot looking down the neck, it really looks like an axe you just wanna start jammin on. Definitely, reminded me that I would like to do a multiscale, really just so I can have one, same as I want to do a bass.

Anyhow, great stuff Kenny!!! I'd definitely say wait until every little detail is completed, basically just the pup covers, even the smallest detail can make a difference in voting. String retainers sounds like a good idea. You can get some roller ones that are black with little silver rollers that would be fairly hard to see or you could go with the all black GraphTech string retainers which are made of some smooth material and would be nearly impossible to spot on your headstock. Just a thought, the GraphTech is probably also better because I've used the roller type and they were too wide for a normal 6 inline string spacing, the strings had to bend out to get in the rollers. What type of pup covers are you going to use? Some homemade ones or what style of store bought covers? You doing rings as well? Again, great project Kenny, inspiring. Best of luck with GOTM and look forward to your next project. J

thanks for all the kind words!

today i leveled and recrowed the frets

to be honest i was very worried becuase for those of you who were following this build i had to remove the fretboard due to a large lump starting at the 5th fret, and it was a constant problem, i tried correctrive clamping with heat and much else

in the end i fixed it enough (without having to adjust the rod) that i could level the remaining upbow out, now its just darn near perfect (still some touchup work to do)

when i was leveling i scraped the body a little with sandpaper :D so i gotta sand it out and rebuff :-p

and jmentris - i already ordered SM's all black graphtech ones :D they match the graphtech nut and saddles :-p

regarding the pickup/PU covers

i also loved ERIK's idea for bass style covers, so i will be graciously borrowing that aswell. the only differnce is im doing ebony covers with Seymore duncan distorions in there :-p

hopefully after work tomorrow i can fix the bridge (i shred so i love really low action) i calculated it out and i need to sand the base of the bridge about .04" when i made the bridge i didnt do any calculations and i just went off the standard thickness for baseplates but i have to adjust for everything else now just little things and itll be done

as for my next project, im debating what she'll be called but dont tell, i already finished the design process and am just watiting to get my mini shop cleared out B)

ill post more pictures soon!

Edited by Kenny