Another Kl Les Paul

+1 to Xanthus' suggestion of selling bodies on eBay.

Actually, -1 to that! That's my plan on how to finance my builds and I don't need the competition. :D (j/k)

Just as an example: look back at your post #20. There's nothing really to respond to. It's just a spec sheet. How many of the posts are just statements or something similar which don't really need a response? Where I see responses is if there's a question or a real need, not just random comments on updates. You should definitely NOT stop posting updates & pics pf your work.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know, just seems like it is kind of pointless. i have looked at all of my other build threads, around 100 replies, around 80 of them were my own.

Well I'm basically the only one writing in mine, so 80/100 is better than that.

Looks like a killer guitar, and I personally like that style of carving, especially on a little more "metal" guitar.

Just so you know, I'm constantly watching your builds and if you didn't do the step by step stuff I wouldn't be as interested. I only post when I have something constructive or helpful to say so I'm more of a background participant.

Anyway, your constant building of LPs makes me want to create my own! Only thing I'd have to recommend for you is to get a better camera because your pictures are sometimes a bit dark or a little hard to see.

Edited by TheIRS

gluing up the fretboard and neck right now. should be ready by tomorrow. but i made the whole neck taper a little thin, and it might be too thin for the string spacing. if it is, i will end up wasting the neck and the body, and will have to start from scratch with nothing, wich will take months before i can build again. i hate that i can never do anything right the first time no matter how long i take my time or anything. somthing new always happens that i can never be prepared for.

already glued up and cut to shape. was using the wrong tape measure(have 2 identical ones, one is off by 1/8") and thought it was good until i glued it up and used the good tape. i guess i could just scrap the whole neck. but i will see

If you have a table saw I would go with Setch's idea except that I would cut it into 3 strips. Buy a set of second unbent acoustic sides and glue in 2 nice Rosewood stingers.

Heck I would let them run all the way through the fingerboard and everything. You can always use StewMac Fretboard dye if you didn't like the stingers showing through.

Don't trash it though. I am sure one of us would pay the shipping to have it and fix it.

BTW Your work looks good, don't be so hard on yourself. I keep one of the first necks I built in the closet <a real POS>... it reminds me how much better I am at this now.

lastly Xanthus is the only one who really cares about my builds.... :D

well i took a template and checked to see if the strings would be too close to the edge(main problem), and it looks like it will cut it with the most minimum of clearances. but i bet it will be really easy to fall off the edge with a string. and thats if i line it up absolutley perfectly.

A palette knife and a domestic iron, plus a little patience, and you'll have the fretboard off. Same for the trussrod.

Then saw off the scarfed head, and rejoin it further down - the taper of the neck should give you the extra width you need. Bind the fretboard, etc voila - neck with the correct proportions.

If your dad won't let you dispose of the dodgy tape, clearly mark it 'INNACURATE!' or 'DO NOT TRUST!' with a sharpie, it's too easy to make that kind of mistake.

I assume the faulty tape measure is faulty within the first inch, which is where most of them seem to be. If that's the case, just get in the habit of starting all your measurements an inch or two down the tape. That's what I do when I have to measure something relatively accurately with a tape. I prefer to use a good engineer/architect triangle or ruler when possible.

well looks like i ruined another 100 bucks worth of supplies. finished the neck, but it looks like it wont work after all. i thought i could pull it off, but it looks like it will be to thin after all. i cant believe i made it that far off. even with the faulty tape, i shouldnt have made it that thin. almost 1/4" thin at the heal part of the fretboard. i just dont think it would be worth it to remove the fretboard and do all of that other stuff. i wish i could do something right the first time, and not have to re do it a million times. as many guitars as ive made, something different goes wrong every time. things that were always routine and that i would never have thought could go wrong. o well, its completley my fault. so all i can salvage is the truss rod. and i wasted my frets, i knew i shouldnt have fretted it. and the one time i fret it perfect too. o well enough whining. i guess it would still work, but the strings would be so close to the edge, about 1/16" that as soon as you fret it would probably fall of the fretboard.

DCAM0077.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ul/DCAM0081.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ul/DCAM0080.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ul/DCAM0076.jpg

Measure twice - cut once.

Less haste, more speed.

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over...

I could go on, but you get the idea. Slow it down, and you'll stop having to backtrack and waste money and time. When you encounter a mistake, STOP and fully consider the possibilities for salvaging the project, or at least ensuring it doesn't waste any more materials or time. Fretting this when you were unsure it would work is crazy, especially since 20 minutes with a pencil and paper would tell you whether or not the neck was wide enough.

On the plus side, the fretwork does look pretty good in the pics - at least you got some practice in...

Is there an adjustable saddle (string spacing) bridge that would work with that neck of yours? Like a Schaller Rollerbridge. It can be adjusted from 1-29/32" to 2-1/4" string spacing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...ler_Bridge.html

I can't tell for sure from your picture but it looks like the D and G string peghead holes are close to the edge on your peghead. I can only imagine that the tuners were back to back at that point of the peghead not allowing adjustment.

Good luck,

Jeff

look guys. i know you all think i just speed through my builds, and improvise without ever planning anything. but i really do spend weeks just planning every little detail. do you know how many times i have gotten up at 3 in the morning becuase i thought of something that might not work, or a problem, or something i forgot? i think so much about this all day every day. but the bad things that happen are always something stupid that i never ever had a proble with before. thank you setch, i know you are very knowledgeable with antything envolving anything. but i have more problems than just messing up a neck. sure, if i had the supplies, i would have ripped the fretboard off and made a whole new neck. but i dont have anything else at all, and now money to go with that. i cannot just sit around and watch my stuff there. so basicly what i am say is i would sacrafice a whole build just to have something to do. i dont have a life outside of this forum or building. i have nothing else to use my time on. pretty sad but im not afraid to admit it. so going ahead and building anyway is just me being desprate.

Don't get so frustrated with yourself. This is all part of learning how to build quiality guitars. I went to Roberto-Venn in the fall of '01. When I got out, I got a shop together with whatever money I had and started building guitars on the side of my main job. The first guitars from my shop were and still are great guitars, but even with the training I got from RV, I still made mistakes. The first neck I built in my own shop I carved too thin and had to redo. Now that neck is hanging on the wall as a reminder of what not to do. All these issues you had with this neck will only make future guitars better.

well im still trying. all routed and just needs its last coats of clear before i glue up the neck. i chipped in a couple of places because i hit it with a drill bit and the edge of the router, so that might be hard to blend. in the pics it was just wet sanded, so it looks flat and really dull. it will be satin, but the satin still looks pretty dang glossy if you ask me.

pics

DCAM0086-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0089-4.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0087-4.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0085-2.jpg

Don't get so frustrated with yourself. This is all part of learning how to build quiality guitars. I went to Roberto-Venn in the fall of '01. When I got out, I got a shop together with whatever money I had and started building guitars on the side of my main job. The first guitars from my shop were and still are great guitars, but even with the training I got from RV, I still made mistakes. The first neck I built in my own shop I carved too thin and had to redo. Now that neck is hanging on the wall as a reminder of what not to do. All these issues you had with this neck will only make future guitars better.

and how you doin' now? any major progress w/ your business?

Don't pitch that neck. If all else fails, you might consider changing your design to some sort of "alternative" guitar, maybe with 5 strings. Maybe you could do something with a low B or A and the next 4 strings from a normal guitar. Yeah, it would suck, a normal bridge won't work, but in the end I think SOMETHING would be better than trashing your work.

Or you could go the other direction and make it some kind of 5-string soprano guitar. I know, that's stupid... I'm just throwing out ideas for you. Don't get too discouraged, though. I don't reply to alot of your threads but I always check them out. I love the aesthetic of your designs. You have a lot of talent and your projects turn out better than mine. :D