Progress On First Build

jb291

Hi all,

I have been reading books and trolling this site for the past several months. I have to thank you all for sharing your knowledge. This is my first try at building a guitar and this is what I have so far. My only regret is using curly redwood for the top, I didn't realize that it was so soft.

P2240004.jpgP2240002.jpgP2230001.jpgP2170016.jpgP1200001.jpgP1120010.jpgP1050007.jpg

Know what, dude? That's pretty damn GREAT for your first attempt! Pat yourself on the back! You really look like you know what you're doing! I'm sorry to hear about the redwood issue. It sure looks nice.

The only thing I'd change was to take down the size of the upper horn, it's far too large to look good, in my opinion. And talk about fret access! You'll have no problems there. What are the contols/electronics going to be like? I see it's LP style in the electronics department. Direct-mounted pickups, too.

It's good to see someone who "gets it" right from the starting gate. Not saying I was that great on my first build, but it's too often that n00bz come on the forum and it's clear they haven't done a scrap of reading.

A+ work!

hahaha, I wasn't point fingers at anyone in particular, and if I do remember correctly, you put together one of the coolest teles I've ever seen :D I still ask dumb questions! I've got a whole step-by-step sheet for making project #3, and for every step there's at least one question that I'd like advice on. It's just good to see someone come out right from the beginning and shows a decent product. All questions are welcomed, without questions, nobody gets enlightened.

I wonder, JB, if the guitar would look good with a pretty-symmetrical horn design, like a LP double-cut, or PRS, or the ESP Viper. Not saying you should change your design just because I say so :D

Wow, very nice guitar there. The work looks very well done, especially for a first build, congrats!! As for the shape, I say leave it, if thats the design you chose based on your taste, rock it and rock it hard, its your guitar ya know. I think the way the grain is oriented makes that upper horn look killer anyway. Anyhow, very nice stuff and thanks for sharing. Keep the pics coming as you finish this one up, its going to look great finished. Nice work. J

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Xanthus I agree, I will be taking the top horn down a bit. I've definatley made a number of mistakes , but I learned some valuable lessons. Seems I have to learn the hard way for it to sink in and really grasp an understanding. The pick ups should be in today, they are Seymour Duncans (59 and JB), wired with a 3 position LP configuration, Schaller tuners and 1 piece bridge. I will be staining the top with a medium brown alcohol based dye and am considering trying to spray the KTM-9 water based laquer. I only have a small pancake compressor and am wondering if it will be sufficient to do the spraying properly. I appreciate any input, negative or positive as this is a learning experience for me. Jeff

I would copy that question and put it in the Finishing section, because it's a very crucial part of the spraying process. I myself had to repaint my guitar twice before I got a decent finish. Twice as in, paint, strip, paint, strip, paint. It was a pain in the ass.

Here's to natural/oiled finishes! :D

You're going to like those pickups, if you haven't tried them out already. I think they're the most common combination ever, maybe aside from EMG 80 and 85/60

A pancake compressor is not going to cut it to spray with. They just can't produce enough cfm to keep a spray gun fed properly. You might get it ito work, but you will probably have issues with proper atomization and get a lot of orange peel. Or else you are going to be constantly stopping to let the compressor catch up.

im also impressed with that. not only is it a great looking guitar, but there seems to be alot of originality as well (and the original parts are well done too). i like the tennon going in so far, good idea. should be a very strong neck join. im going to be a doing a similar thing with a small hollowbody, where the neck tennon acts as the solid piece within the body.

• 2 weeks later...