First Electric Guitar

Sparky3

If my money covered it, I would probably go for a second hand pacifica and a Vox moddeling amp (AD??VT - I have an AD30VT). Not payed one of the Deans that Wes advised, but it certainly looks the biz.

EDIT: And what you save on kit can be spent on a couple of lessons, which will pay dividens.

Edited by ToneMonkey

Are any of the starter paks like epiphone les paul special2 or Ibanez metal pak good.

Where is your location? USA? You can go to a pawn shop for the Amp, I got a Crate GX-65 for cheap and I have abuse the hell out of it, 10 yrs and still sounds nice, I like it so much that I bought a MX-120.

As for the guitar, the same applies, you can get a decent one if you know what you are looking for and you do your home work. One of those cheap kit guitars is OK, but soon you will feel that you did a bad choice and wished you had bought something better. I don't like the Epiphone from the ones that you posted, so my choice would be the Ibanez. As for the Yamaha, I have used a Pacifica, and I did not liked it a bit...

Keep in mind that the Ibanez on the Metal pack is made out of basswood, I made kelly out of it and it sounds good, but it is very soft so you can dind it very bad if you are not careful.

Maiden69 is right, a basswood guitar is slightly better than a guitar made out of cheese. As a first guitar choice you need to make the decision between the major three types of guitar,

a- no vibrato - eg a telecaster with no way to wobble the strings, or a wrap around bridge (for me purgatory)

b- parallel neck, therefore low string hight, wang bar vibrato, eg stratocaster

c- tune o matic with angled neck, great vibrato, eg Gibson style.

Then look in second hand shops, when you see one you like, look down the neck like you are sighting down the barrel of a gun. If the neck is badly, or twisted, bent you will easily see it, don't buy it. If the neck is straight and you like the feel and look of the guitar, buy it regardless of what it sounds like. If it sounds good don't do a thing, if it sounds crap, buy a good bridge pick up and swap it out. It will now sound fantastic if you made the right pup choice. Don't swap the neck pup it will always sound good. Happy new guitar day :D Rock and Roll.

Edited by Muzz

Haha...I feel old,they don't even make my first guitar anymore...it was an Applause strat ripoff...

I remember those vividly. The shop I hung out in and took lessons at sold them. My first was a Memphis. I think the Applause would have been a better deal.

Anyway, I encourage anyone to take a long hard look at Peavy or Yamaha for their first setup. For the money, I genuinely think they have a lot of bang for the buck. Like someone else mentioned, you can scour the pawnshops for a great deal too.

As for the Yamaha, I have used a Pacifica, and I did not liked it a bit...

This is why you should try out the axes that you are looking at before buying. Most people like the Pacifica, but obviously Maiden didn't get on with it. You're a lot more likely to pick up the guitar and play with it if it's one that you really enjoy playing. You could buy a £2000 PRS, but if you don't get on with it you're less likely to pick it up.

I'd visit as many shops as possible and play as many guitars as possible so that you get a feel for what you like. It wont take long before you start to firm up ideas.

As for the Yamaha, I have used a Pacifica, and I did not liked it a bit...

This is why you should try out the axes that you are looking at before buying. Most people like the Pacifica, but obviously Maiden didn't get on with it. You're a lot more likely to pick up the guitar and play with it if it's one that you really enjoy playing. You could buy a £2000 PRS, but if you don't get on with it you're less likely to pick it up.

I'd visit as many shops as possible and play as many guitars as possible so that you get a feel for what you like. It wont take long before you start to firm up ideas.

what he said

• 2 weeks later...

These days there's not much to choose between a big name, Fender, Gibson, and what used to be considered lower quality copies. The big names are riding on their reputation and little more, Fender has started building to a budget with cheaper parts and Gibson . . . . friend works in a guitar shops and the amount of work that needs to be done to a Gibson when it comes out of the box is shocking. They all need work done to the nut and action to make them playable, either their standards have dropped drastically or quality control is non existant.

Here's a shocker for you, we all know how much a Strat costs in a dealers, here's what they cost Fender to make including delivery, a MIM Strat is around $90, a Chinese Strat is $70, compare that with the price in the shops!

Fender is also being sneaky with parts. A while I was looking at a set of Fender own brand locking tuners and found out they were actually made by Sperzel and branded Fender. Before I bought a set I asked a mate who deals in Fender parts, I was very surprised when he said they were actually made in China! Seems when Fender introduced their own brand locking tuners they were indeed made by Sperzel but . . . . once they were established manufacturing was switched to China, without changing either the part number or the price.

I never buy a new guitar, an off the shelf one doesn't appeal to me as they wouldn't be what I wanted. I much prefer to buy basket cases, neglected or even damaged depending on what the damage is. That way I am free to refurbish and rebuild to my specifications not what some manufacturer thinks I want.

Edited by scottishstrat

• 2 weeks later...

Thats is real good way of ensuring quality , I know when I rescue a Guitar most of the time they are found in Pawn Shops. And with the damge you get them for a song. But you really REALly have to watch what your buying. Many times what you think is good deal, turned out to be somebodies High school wood shop project. Just watch what you do and read as much as you can, about the Guitar you want.

Edited by Wizard