Sawdust

fookgub

i'm working on my 2nd neck from scratch and i read that ppl use sawdust and glue to fill in gaps under the frets on the edges of the fretbaord but i looked online and i couldnt find anewhere to buy any sawdus but some1 must sell it cos i know ppl use it for stuff..... can ne1 tell me where to buy sum sawdust???

itried to make it with a chizel but olny big flake an noe sawdust get made.... i tried rubbing it on teh driveway and it made dust but i couldbnt seprate teh dust from the dirt... can i just use dirt instead???

hmm.

how about a sander?

seriously, or a router. routers make more sawdust than any other tool.

well i went to home deepo yesterday to get som suwdust and i saw sum under this big saw they had so i asked this guy hoe much it would cost to get some but he told me i could take as much as i wanted for free. so i was all like cool and i put a bunch in my pockets but when i walked out this manager guy got all in my face and was wanting to see what i had in my pockets and he said i was stealing thier sawdist. i treid to tell him that the guy said it wuz free but he said i was lieying and called the cops and the cops showed up an took me to jail even though i told them the the one dude said i culd have it free. but while i was in jail they had a bunch of sawdus therer that the put on the floors and stuff... i dunno why but whever. so i would have took some but they took my close and all i had was this jump-suit thing with noe pockets so i couldnt take any, but i asked the guy in charge if i could have some whem i left and he said ok... but then when i was leaving i forgot to take sum cos they just kicked me out real fast and they said the home deep droped the shof-lifting charge but they were keeping the sawdust i took for evedence or sumthing...

so newayz i guess i sander could work i have like 8 of them but how do you make the dust????

this almost doesnt even sound like a real question?

do your sanders have a dust collection system?

do you have a belt sander?

just sand a piece of wood. thats it. it makes sawdust.

really,

it seems to me like your saying youve never made sawdust working on a guitar. how is that possible?

well ill have to wait till tomarrow to try it cos i dont have ne sand for the sander and the guy the sold it to me said i had to go buy teh sand at like home despt or sumthin but i dont want to go in there again because the guy there will probably call the cops again and pretned like i'm stealing the sand or something. but neways i dont see how teh sander would make suwdust becouse all it does is to shoot the sand at the wood i dunno maybe theres some dust but its all mixed in with the sand. what if i just get a chian saw isnt that how they make the dust at shops and stuff???

ahaha lmao put in jain for stealing free sawdust, I'de love to belive that

Sand paper does not require sand to work, it does not fire sand at the wood your thinking of a different process all together

just go and buy a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper and rub it against the wood your using and hey presto saw dust!

Its always better to use saw dust from the same peice of wood for colouring any way, over buying/stealing some in a shop.

I fear this topic will loose sincerity...

hmm.

how about a sander?

seriously, or a router. routers make more sawdust than any other tool.

well i went to home deepo yesterday to get som suwdust and i saw sum under this big saw they had so i asked this guy hoe much it would cost to get some but he told me i could take as much as i wanted for free. so i was all like cool and i put a bunch in my pockets but when i walked out this manager guy got all in my face and was wanting to see what i had in my pockets and he said i was stealing thier sawdist. i treid to tell him that the guy said it wuz free but he said i was lieying and called the cops and the cops showed up an took me to jail even though i told them the the one dude said i culd have it free. but while i was in jail they had a bunch of sawdus therer that the put on the floors and stuff... i dunno why but whever. so i would have took some but they took my close and all i had was this jump-suit thing with noe pockets so i couldnt take any, but i asked the guy in charge if i could have some whem i left and he said ok... but then when i was leaving i forgot to take sum cos they just kicked me out real fast and they said the home deep droped the shof-lifting charge but they were keeping the sawdust i took for evedence or sumthing...

so newayz i guess i sander could work i have like 8 of them but how do you make the dust????

:D

you've GOT to be kidding

I think we're feeding a troll here. Thing is, it's weird because fookgub has plenty of other posts, and this doesn't seem to be how he's normally writes, and he usually seems to be a smart fellow. (At least, the recent posts I remember.) I don't know if this is a case of a hacked account or what, but perhaps the mods want to lock this thread until we find out what's going on?

definately something weird going on here, my guess would also be a hacked account or fookgub having a laugh

routers make more sawdust than any other tool.

Not if you are using a sharp bit, they should produce lots of little shavings!!!

for me sanders make more dust than any other tool

I think we're feeding a troll here.

Wanna bet it's his kid brother? Or maybe his son? Someone's pissed off he wouldn't let them borrow the car, that's for sure!

At any rate, there's no way it's fookgub, just look at his other posts, a completely different style.

Great story though! It'd make a great reality tv show: call it "I Love Texas Idiots" or something like that.

Yeah, something does seem weird here. Fookgub has made some pretty cool guitars before, so I'm sure he knows how to make some sawdust. And the writing does seem different. If it is a family member logging in, maybe I can understand...but can accounts really get hacked here? :D What happened to the real fookgub?

definately something weird going on here, my guess would also be a hacked account or fookgub having a laugh

routers make more sawdust than any other tool.

Not if you are using a sharp bit, they should produce lots of little shavings!!!

for me sanders make more dust than any other tool

Yep. I have a 2" long, 3/4" diameter pattern bit by whiteside I use to trim the edges of bodies to the templates - it's got a slight angle to the cut, so it shears as it cuts - and makes all these see-through, paper thin shavings anout an 1/8" inch wide and as long as the bit. And as they pile up, it looks like a big pile of spaghetti!

Sanders/sanding produce lots of dust, but I find if you aren't careful, they can also have a lot of sand in them! I always use a fresh piece of paper when I'm looking for sawdust for filling. When I'm need of dust, I often use a file, but it takes a bit longer, and if you don't use a fine cut one, it's often too coarse to be of use.

I often keep small blocks of scrap around for making dust for filler with - it helps sometimes to have something a shade or two different than the wood to blend perfectly, as the dust often darkens when mixed with adhesives, and depending on the area of the wood your filling, the dust you get from offcuts may or may not match perfectly. Although I find as I get better, I need to keep stuff to make filler with less and less!

I've also used artists pigment powder to tint super glue or epoxy when filling, it also works well. There's also tinted burn-in sticks, which work quite well for ebony.

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1....

I guess that would have made more sense, but like Mikro said... just funnin' you guys. I've spent my fair share of time trying to decipher and answer some pretty wild questions, so I thought I'd see what it was like to be on the other side.

Anyway, my post did sort of stem from reality. I was having a little trouble coming up with some sawdust last night. The dust collection on my hand sanders is worthless, and my disk sander is full of graphite because I'm always sharpening pencils on it. So I discovered that I could just make a couple passes on the side of the neck with 220 grit paper (after filing the fret ends flush, of course), and presto... fret slots filled with sawdust. Probably old news to a lot of you guys, but I thought it was cool.

I've been a little quiet around here lately, but I'm actually working pretty furiously. I'm actively working on 3 refinishing projects and a set neck guitar, plus I've got two bodies waiting for necks (sidelined until I get the other stuff done). I've taken to waiting until right before I start finishing before I post my work... that way it looks like I work faster.

On a related fretting note: I finished hammering the last fret into my fretboard yesterday, then promptly when upstairs and ordered a set of fret press cauls. Exciting stuff! Hammering is such a drag.

hahahaha, im a little slow, but this really took some time to see you were kidding

haha

thats great, ive had trouble getting some uncontaminated sawdust before too :D

but on a more serious note, im sure people do have questions like that (maybe not that...well, uninformed, but you know) so dont let us discourage yoU!

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

:haha::haha::haha: thats funny lol i was laughing for ages.

Also ur ritin is very hard 2 read all lik dis...