Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom Eight String

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha ormsby i love how the response to the grain is so different here than on UG... hilarious... i thought it looked good anyway...

Yup, it all comes down to which photos get posted first :D

Headstock veneer is Macassar Ebony i believe, but it looks pretty damn similar to the Ziricote, so i used it. Cavity cover is the same.

P1000270.jpg

Nice satin finish with the grain showing through. Took 26 hours from the first coat, to the last. DONE! Two pack satin.

P1000272.jpg

So will you leave it translucent natural or will it take a color coat? Very good work on the "grain matching". Will you be kind enough to post how you managed?

Study the grain up close. Replicate it. Credit me :D

We discussed doing a blue candy over the grain, but in the end went with clear only. I'm glad we didn't do it blue now.

P1000288.jpg

P1000289.jpg

So will you leave it translucent natural or will it take a color coat? Very good work on the "grain matching". Will you be kind enough to post how you managed?

Study the grain up close. Replicate it. Credit me :D

We discussed doing a blue candy over the grain, but in the end went with clear only. I'm glad we didn't do it blue now.

Very hard to tell from those pics. I thought about a machinist scribe, to get the "hole and edge" from a grain. Anyway, about the finish, I do like it natural, but I can't say that I would love to see some tint on it. Kinda like my old ash guitar. Outstanding as always Perry!

DSC01693.jpg

!

For those wondering about grain matching - I know I've seen the technique used in fine furniture a couple of times, and there is information about the techinque in a couple of finishing books I've seen. I'll have to dig through my stacks and see if I can't find specific titles. While Perry may have been one of the first to use it in a guitar application, it's certainly an old technique and has been used for decades. To varying levels of success - I think the thing that stands out about Perry's use of it is how well he pulled it off. The instructions he gave earlier are really the crux of it. Figuring out the best way to do that is going to vary for every piece of wood you pick up.

And by the way, Perry - Great piece of work! I'm not always a fan of the dark grainfilled look like this - but once again, you've made an amazing instrument. I think it's the total package thing that sets this apart - and not just talking about all the little build details - you have a way of picking a piece of wood for each instrument that really works well that specific piece. I don't think this finish would have worked with any piece of ash for this particular build - I find that that skill in making all the individual pieces of a build work together is one of the things that really make your work stand out.

GOTM it, it's completely awesome!. How are the multiscales to play? Is it awkward to play on the fanned frets? One day the multiscale guitar will be as famous around the world as the hills-hoist and the lamington :D:D

I agree, beautiful guitar & great job with the grain.

re: the fanned frets, I play a Dingwall ABII (34 - 37") and a 6 string baritone (25.5 - 28") that I built a few months ago. They take a few minutes to get the hang of, but once you get the feel of where things are, it's no different than, say, playing a 25.5" scale if you're used to a 24.75" scale.

Okay this is cool....it may sound like a stupid question...but, I've never seen the fanned fret thing before. Can this be done with any neck to any scale? Or is this only for this particular length? I didn't have time enough to read every comment thru the thread so forgive my ignorance..

Go here and play around with it for a few minutes: http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/nonparallel.php

It's a great tool & it'll give you an idea of how fanned frets work & the mathematics behind it.