New 2/3 Scale Guitar

Thanks Scott.

Prostheta, I'm not quite sure what 'tasty burger' means, I'm assuming that's British slang of some sort. But based on the context, thanks. :)

As far as keeping the house in one piece. It's a constant struggle. In certain areas you just have to say screw it, and assume you'll have to fix things once they get get older. It is what it is. It's contrary to my nature, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

And a 10-1/2lb baby around these parts would already have the parents hearing, "He's going to be an offensive lineman."

I can't help myself, here's a picture after half a dozen thin coats of Tru Oil. It's still relatively smooth, so I may do another set of coats before I sand/buff everything flat. So far so good.

Also, I must say, trying to sand off excess epoxy is a crappy job (especially on the finicky edges of the headstock), and it's a shame I'm so stupid that I spend two hours doing it before I figure out that I can pull out the card scraper and save myself a ton of headache. :)

IMG_9436_zpstqclzcmf.jpg

17 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

Prostheta, I'm not quite sure what 'tasty burger' means, I'm assuming that's British slang of some sort. But based on the context, thanks. :)

Samuel L. Jackson, Pulp Fiction quote. I'm awful for my cinema quotes, and that one wasn't even obscure! I almost qualified what I just said with an obscure TV quote too. That seriously wouldn't help.

Context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY

• 1 month later...

Things got busy during the holidays, and my work space got cluttered with christmas decorations and whatnot . But I kept trying to trudge forward with the finishing process. In order to make faster progress  I hung the guitar off of my ladder, so I could put a coat of tru oil on the entire guitar at once. However, due to the location the lighting was very poor, and I was getting some runs that I was unable to see. After four full body coats had dried I pulled the guitar down and brought it into the light where I was able to notice for the first time how bad it looked. Crap... So, I let it cure for a few days, sanded all four coats back off, and promptly stuck the guitar inside and have ignored it for the last few weeks out of frustration. If the garage warms up a bit in the next few days I will pull it back out and have another go.

That's gorgeous!

Did you ever say what the actual scale length is? I built a small guitar for my son. and took so long doing it that I built him another full-sized player right after it was done. My mini is a 19" scale and currently resides by my nightstand for my nighttime noodling with JamUp on the iPhone and headphones! It's so fun to play! It's also the lowest and smoothest action of anything I've ever built, maybe because of the short scale? It is so small/short that I glued two pieces of limba together (like a bookmatch) and carved the whole guitar from that one piece. 

Here's a pic of the guitar - first post.

Komodo, that sounds pretty cool. Would love to see pics.

Mine is a 17" scale. I have several more 17" scale fretboards, so I was thinking of making an acoustic mandola next with one of those, since I personally play mandolin a lot more than guitar these days, and have wanted to build an acoustic instrument for a long time.

I put 3 thin coats of tru oil on the front yesterday, in better light (laying on my bench top) and being as careful as possible. I'll knock out the scratches with micromesh, hit it with 3 more coats, and hopefully will be able to micromesh that all the way through 12000 grit.

After letting it cure for 5 days I went ahead and micromeshed the top all the way through 12K grit, just to see if I had enough tru oil built up, or if I needed to keep going. It looks nice. It has that old, warm, varnished look to it right now. Not dipped in glass, but glossy. And not quite the sheen of the raw tru oil. In another day or two the back should be cured enough to micromesh.

The one thing I'm not particularly happy with is the front of the headstock. There were some drips on the front from when I put tru oil on the back of the headstock, and they made things a bit uneven. I need to re-flatten it and do three more coats of tru oil.

I've ordered some 3M finesse It, which will hopefully bring up the shine where I want it to be. If not, I can always keep re-coating with tru oil. But I have a feeling I'll be happy with it.

The lighting was poor, so it was difficult to capture what it really looks like. I think you can tell that the sheen is different than the raw tru oil, but it doesn't really capture the reflectivity of it either.

20160110_235521.jpg

• Like 2

So, it's getting there. I hit it with some Finesse It. The luster is back. It doesn't look as good under the the fluorescent light as it does in reality. It's funny that this picture looks worse than some of the early pics in this thread, but in reality it's much smoother. However there are definitely some visible scratches and a little bit of haziness in some spots. I'm going to give it another week to cure, give or take, and hit it with the Finesse It again and see how it's looking.

This weekend I'll micromesh the back and sides.

Still thinking I may make wood pickup ring. Hoping to have this thing finished by my daughter's birthday at the end of the month, so if I do make a pickup ring I'll need to get on it pretty quickly.

20160114_212943.jpg