A New Neck-thru Quilt Top Dc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not black, but a really dark orange. I actually wouldn't call it orange, almost like a root beer color. Then I sanded back pretty far to make sure the orange was nice and bright.

I remember on the green one you did recently, you stained it really dark green then sanded that back. How come you use a really dark version of the color instead of black? I ask because I've read to use black, but you don't and your finishes always look fantastic, especially that orange, it looks amazing

Not black, but a really dark orange. I actually wouldn't call it orange, almost like a root beer color. Then I sanded back pretty far to make sure the orange was nice and bright.

I remember on the green one you did recently, you stained it really dark green then sanded that back. How come you use a really dark version of the color instead of black? I ask because I've read to use black, but you don't and your finishes always look fantastic, especially that orange, it looks amazing

I can't really give a good reason, just personal taste. This way suits my method. You could probably get similar results with black if you had the right approach.

Also, I guess I don't want to get it any darker than I have to in order to just make the figure stand out a little more. If I was doing really dark blue or something, I'd probably use straight black as the first color.

I can't really give a good reason, just personal taste. This way suits my method. You could probably get similar results with black if you had the right approach.

Also, I guess I don't want to get it any darker than I have to in order to just make the figure stand out a little more. If I was doing really dark blue or something, I'd probably use straight black as the first color.

i can give a good reason, black will kill the 3D effect of the quilt. It can also look a bit grubby. Using a darker but still slightly translucent version of the same colour maintains the quilty goodness in real life as well as photo's.

You can get good results with black, especially for photo's, but you really need to remove almost every bit of it for it to work nicely and use a thinner trans black rather than solid black

gibson have done a few that illustrate the point, the boneyard LP's which are essentailly a dark

dye and sandback with yellow over the top

Gibson version:

JoePerryLP-e90ff589d49cf4c5b7b82c46b12c5ecd.jpg

Looks good, only a slight greeny tinge but they actually call started calling it a green tiger finish so whatever. Looks great in photos, you can see it gets dark but never quite black

Epiphone version:

_c295109_image_0.jpg

Clearly the black is much heavier, adds a greener tinge and would have no 3d effect in real life at all.

all are valid finish options, just depends what you are after - but my favorite results always comes from the more subtle methods, which clearly the boneyard LP's are not aiming for. Also, it helps to have highly figured wood to start with or you end up with something more like this blotchy looking thing (another epi boneyard, they illustrate the dangers of dying and sanding back so well)

1-%20095.jpg

the clear answer is to test on scraps and cutoffs from the actually top

i can give a good reason, black will kill the 3D effect of the quilt. It can also look a bit grubby. Using a darker but still slightly translucent version of the same colour maintains the quilty goodness in real life as well as photo's.

You can get good results with black, especially for photo's, but you really need to remove almost every bit of it for it to work nicely and use a thinner trans black rather than solid black

so if metalhead had used something like the transtint black dye first, that would have been too dark? it would have killed the 3d?

how much difference does it make what the second (primary) color is? Is it about the luminence difference between them? so for a blue finish you maybe would go darker with the first dark dye, than you would with a yellow/orange as here?

with apologies for further hijacking this thread about this beautiful guitar.

my personal opinion is thta he could have got away with brown on this and it would have popped the figure a bit more, but taken away from the orange a bit. black would have made it more severe, and taken it in a different direction.

to me, i simply got 2 or 3 shades darker, but more extreme effects can be had with more extreme differences in the colour

the black thing can work well... and if you are after photos that look great its even better