Floyd Rose Bridge

The guitar i built has a big problem with intonation....I set the bridge at 25 inches, so the intonation is way off. I can still play it, but I want to install a Floyd Rose bridge. I will set it at the appropriate distance from the nut this time.

I dont have much money, so I looked on Ebay for some good deals. There are some FR bridges from hong kong (obviously clones), there are $45 with shipping. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER USED THEM BEFORE, AND IF YOU HAVE, ARE THEY ANY GOOD?

And, could I just install the locking nut on an ordinary neck?

I've set up a lot (a LOT) of guitars with a variety of locking tremolos, from genuine Floyd Rose and Schallers to cheapo Peaveys with locking tremolos. There is a big difference in tone quality, tuning stability, ease of adjustment, and overall durability between knockoffs and real ones. The cheap ones wear out quickly (stripped threads, etc) because the metal is too soft, and they generally don't match up with replacement parts very well because they aren't quite the same shape/size as a genuine Floyd Rose.

I haven't used the ones from Ebay specifically, but I'm pretty sure they won't be as good as the real thing. If you have a good ear for tuning/intonation, you'll probably end up upgrading to a real one eventually anyway and getting rid of the cheap one.

Edited by B. Aaron

I'm going to agree with everyone else on buying either an original or schaller floyd rose. I'm not a fan of FR, but if i were going to buy one, I'd get the real deal so it will do what its supposed to do (divebomb, ride up and stay in tune).

You have to do some modification to add a FR locking nut in place of an original nut.

You mentioned "good deal". Now don't forget it's only a "good deal" if the item is good quality. All the really cheap ones I've had my hands on, would only be a "good deal" if you got them for free.

I'm no fan either, but the authentic floyd I bought in the 80's is every bit as mechanically sound now as the day I bought it, whereas cheap imports that I've worked with, only around a year old, had worn out fulcrum points and grooved lock-nuts, etc.

I hate to see companies that make junk guitar parts get financially supported.

If you're worried that a good quality used bridge might have a little wear on it, it's nothing compared to the wear your budget bridge will show in no time.

Thank you everybody for your opinions.....Odds are I will probably end up buying a real one very soon-but-as of now this is all my budget will allow.

Now, if you would so kindly refer to my first post...I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER USED THEM BEFORE, AND IF YOU HAVE, ARE THEY ANY GOOD.....notice the first part of this sentence....."IF ANYONE HAS USED THEM".....now refer to the middle section....."AND IF YOU HAVE".......

Once again, thank you for your opinions. I realize that I will be buying a floyd rose system that is not up to as high of a standard as the originals. What I was asking is if anyone that HAS USED THEM has any comments on the clone system.....once again anyone that has used them before.

Thank You

Obviously you don't want to hear it,but I have bought a couple of those "clone" guitars and some parts over the years,and they are awful..just like everyone else is trying to tell you.

The ONLY fulcrum trems that will keep a knife edge in proper form for more than a few uses are Floyd,Schaller,and some high end gotoh.

"as high a standard"?..now THAT is an understatement.

But maybe you won't notice..normally guys who buy those things never use a trem anyway,because if they did,they would know better.

Obviously you don't want to hear it,but I have bought a couple of those "clone" guitars and some parts over the years,and they are awful..just like everyone else is trying to tell you.

The ONLY fulcrum trems that will keep a knife edge in proper form for more than a few uses are Floyd,Schaller,and some high end gotoh.

"as high a standard"?..now THAT is an understatement.

But maybe you won't notice..normally guys who buy those things never use a trem anyway,because if they did,they would know better.

Thank you. Could I use this "clone" for a year without substantial wear? When does the wear really start effecting tuning? And when I get a real fr, will it just be a "quick" switch, or will I have to route a bit more?

I definately agree with everyone that you should spend the extra crash to get a genuine high-end floyd rose bridge. I made a huge mistake that has cost me much time and money when I bought my first guitar with a cheap licensed version. It has led to many many setups, string breaks, etc. Finally the other day I had someone block it. At this point, I just want my guitar to stay in tune and set up correctly. I could care less if I can't do dive bombs or bend the trem upwards. The cheap ones are more trouble than they are worth for sure.

Thank you. Could I use this "clone" for a year without substantial wear? When does the wear really start effecting tuning? And when I get a real fr, will it just be a "quick" switch, or will I have to route a bit more?

I just had a guitar in that was barely 3 months old and the knife edges were already notched and needed some serious filing.

It will get much worse much quicker from now on.

A genuine FR should be a drop in replacement in most cases, assuming you have a floating trem already.

ould I use this "clone" for a year without substantial wear?

Not if you are serious about learning to use it.Some of them have dull knife edges right out of the box,and if you file them sharp,they dull quickly because the steel is not hardened.

I have had an original floyd in my KXK with no work to it at all for about 4 years now,Admittedly I only use a trem about 1/2 hour total per week.

And when I get a real fr, will it just be a "quick" switch, or will I have to route a bit more?

That entirely depends on the dimension of the particular "clone" you choose to buy.

ould I use this "clone" for a year without substantial wear?

No. No. And no.

I bought a Jackson Dinky a while back. It had a cheap licensed floyd. I seriously could play 5 chords

or one arpeggio before the bitch went out of tune.

It drove me f'ing nuts. Sold it.

Then I bought a Gunslinger with an OFR, and it NEVER goes out of tune.

I will say, that my friend replaced his cheap licensed crap floyd that was on his LTD with a Mighty Mite floyd,

and that thing stays in tune perfectly.

I abused the crap out of it one day at practice and it held up awesome. Only $80 *installed*.

The GFS floyd are apparently made out of steel and brass. If that's the case, they should stay in perfect tune also.

Cheap knockoffs are shitty b/c they are made out of potmetal.

FWIW the best licensed Floyd I've ever used was from Guitarheads.net . I think it was $50 , but I was an endorsee at the time so it was cheaper than that . ( yay )

Highly recommended for a FR that is cheap and stands up to punishment while staying in tune.

Poperly stretched strings are the biggest key to not driving yourself mad with a Floyd.......... :D