Project Wenge V

I think this is the last crazy guitar I am building for a while.

(However I do have a piece of buckeye that would make Drak drool)

Hey, I'm just a bozo backyard hobbyist weekend wanker with a mortgage payment,

where you're a highly skilled and talented luthier building absolutely beautiful guitars,

...you SHOULD have the high-test wood, I EXPECT you to 'bring the bling'!

:D:D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the last crazy guitar I am building for a while.

(However I do have a piece of buckeye that would make Drak drool)

Hey, I'm just a bozo backyard hobbyist weekend wanker with a mortgage payment,

where you're a highly skilled and talented luthier building absolutely beautiful guitars,

...you SHOULD have the high-test wood, I EXPECT you to 'bring the bling'!

:DB)

Now Drak...highly skilled and talented? Seriously? ha ha ha ha :D Even if I was "highly skilled and talented" I would have to keep my day job cause musicians are poor and I have a huge mortgage and stupid hobby that costs a fortune and woman and kid and dog and... well you understand.

I still have to get lucky finding good pieces of wood.

th_100_2879.jpg

Madagascar 2:

Private: Oh, I like that one, that's a good one.

Kowalski: It works on many levels, sir.

Skipper: You guys are a bunch of suck-ups.

Kowalski: That too, sir.

Private: Oh, absolutely, sir.

Yep - great guitar! I have been wanting to build a '67 V in the same vein as Jim Martin's black and chrome V for a long time. That is likely what I may do when I eventually have opportunity to build again - make replicas of "icon" instruments like the Frankenstrat, Jim's V, a white JEM, '58 LP, Les Claypool's CT 4-string walnut bass etc.

• 2 months later...

Boring finishing photos. These are the initial coats of tru-oil. Once I get a color and feel I like I will sand it all flat. I am not sure what level gloss to use on this one. The high gloss looks really good but I originally planed on a satin finish. I wasn't even planning tru-oil but I used the initial coat of thinned tru-oil to even out the color. It looked so good I decided to throw a coat or two on it. The amber tint enhances the grain. Once the finish is flat I will make a decision on final finish. I might seal it with a coat of shellac and throw a few coats of lacquer on it for good measure.

PA080334.jpg

PA080335.jpg

PA080336.jpg

PA090337.jpg

I had to recess the string-thru ferrules to match the recessed bridge. Used a veritas bull nose rotary file. I like the way it looks...

Wouldn't it have been easier to use a counter-sink bit in the drill press?

Counter sink bit made a angled straight sided recess. I wanted a curved recess (like a bowl).

The rounder "dished" look makes it quite different to a conical recess, I bet.

It looks intentional. (I hope). I just couldn't get the down force on the saddle without doing it... poor design on my part. BUT I really like having the strings close to the body... price you pay for fame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I can't tell for sure from these shots but it looks like you decided to fill the grain?

SR

Kinda. It is filled enough that it looks flat. But the lacquer is still shrinking and it is starting to show some grain. I guess in a few months I will know how much. If this wasn't a personal guitar I would have filled it properly and made the finish look like glass. But it is mine and I didn't want to much finish on it.