White Guitar Stain?

jessejames

Would like to use a white colored stain for a look like a PRS modern eagle, anyone know where I can pick something like this up at? I've looked everywhere I could think of (stew mac, lmii, a few other places) and just can't find the stuff. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? I owned one of these and I suspect they used a white on it instead of just sanding the light blue back for the effect.

prs7124644_7.jpg

I just did a beach test on some quilt maple veneer and found that bleach will make white dots left all through the wood if it is left on for too long. Another forum member had good results by soaking rags in clorox bleach and letting them sit on the wood for 20 minutes then neutralizing the bleach with hydrogen peroxide. I wanted the wood really white so I left the rags on for over an hour... oops. I sanded down the other side of the veneer and I'll try the 20 minute application hopefully with the same results as the other forum member.

Clorox is for clothes.Wood bleach is for wood.To make the wood white you need the hydrogen peroxide 2 part bleach

Look for a two-part bleach to do the job

You'll find three kinds of products marketed as wood bleaches. But only one will remove the natural color from wood: a two-part wood bleach of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and hydrogen peroxide. Other wood bleaches are chlorine bleach and oxalic acid.

Chlorine bleach, which is like ordinary laundry bleach, will remove dye color from wood, but not the wood's natural color. Oxalic acid is commonly employed to bleach out water or rust stains. Teak stain remover sold by boat dealers is often based on oxalic acid.

All the bleaching chemicals pose health and safety hazards to varying degrees. So be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions and warnings before use. And always wear rubber gloves and eye

Would like to use a white colored stain for a look like a PRS modern eagle, anyone know where I can pick something like this up at? I've looked everywhere I could think of (stew mac, lmii, a few other places) and just can't find the stuff. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? I owned one of these and I suspect they used a white on it instead of just sanding the light blue back for the effect.

They sand off the blue to only leave it inside the low spots of the maple figurine....

We call this a negative thype finish, there is no white stain...

The secret is to not sand too much and not stay in the same spot, you want this job to be even...

Just look at the cutaway aera, they removed less stain to make a visual contrast....

:D

I agree with the above about how PRS probably did that stain.

However, white stains DO exist, I have some of this brand; http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/produc...based-stain.htm

I havn't actually tried to dye a guitar white with it as I simply don't think it'll work well. I have used it to make things like pink stains and just to lighten up the colourtone waterbased stains etc.

Bleach is the way to go for what you want to achieve

I didn't look up the Liberon stuff, but the one in the link is basically what Ken was talking about. It is a stain, but it is a pigment stain not a dye stain. A white pigment stain works out to be similar to a white wash. It is pigment, like used in paint, but with much much much less pigment so you are not getting enough build to block out the wood. If you lay enough coats of white stain it will work like paint, just like any pigment based stain.

This is where Kens point comes in that it will stay in the shallow pores and be sanded off very quickly.

Thanks for all the help! I am wanting to do this on a future telecaster build. Gonna practice on a scrap one first and see how well it does.

Do you guys just use clorox with rags like suggested up there? Or do you have a special application?

No... no. no. You want "wood bleach" not Clorox. Wood bleach is Oxalic Acid.... it'll make Maple as white as Holly.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/12oz-Concen-W...ch-pKZR1W0.aspx

You should have no problems finding it locally.

There are two types of wood bleach. The two part kit and oxalic acid. They both are a bleach, but you will get different results from them. Oxalic acid is good for removing stains and rust marks from wood, but doesn't do much to lighten the color of the wood. To lighten the color of wood you want the two-part kit.

Search this section of the forum for "bleach" and go through all of the results. Some threads are not as good as others, but you will learn the differences you get between the types of bleach.

• 2 months later...